Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbows

Thumbs down Re: Crossbows

This post is getting worn out.Everything that is said now is just a repeat.As I said before I hunt with rifle,shotgun,compound and crossbow in season.I make no apologies for this.As long as I break no laws and I do
    enjoy hunting of all kinds.So what is the problem.I am sure not going to
    kill so much more game with my crossbow to make a difference in the Deer
    population,nor is anyone else.All that we are doing here is giving all hunters a black eye .Smarten up folks,the antis must love this thread.
    Remember that we are all hunters in our own way.As said many times here
    before if we want to keep enjoying our sport we getter start pulling together and stop this silly bickering.The Antis are watching and
    smiling.
    I

Re: Crossbows

I for one have no problems at all with crossbows, as long as the person understands how to shoot them and their limits. I for one strickly hunt with a bow only. I hunt the early season all the rifle season. The only time I take a gun with me is for G bear protection or when I am running the dogs on cat or bears. Haven't had to use one yet but there will be a day.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Contrary to what some here have said, this is not a bad post/thread or discussion.

It did begin with one man asking for people's opinion's on the use of crossbows in archery season. And he eventually did give that opinion.

Huntwriter,
    No direspect to you Ddog, but this paragraph alone devalues the entire comment to nothing more than ignorance and disrespect for others.
    Sorry Huntwriter, the man is entitled to his opinion. If he wishes to express it. So be it. It doesn't mean he devalues something or is ignorant.

Ruger#1
    instead of fighting about this stupid crap, lets all band together and fight the lieberal government that is trying to tear hunting all apart. next they will try to register bows and arrows. then the stupid animal cruelty act, you guys sound like a broken record. hell you wine and bitch more than my wife!
    Just what are you calling stupid crap? Once again, you assume this thread is about dismantling something. Who says we aren't together, just because we have a difference of opinion. You have issues.

A few members here advocate mandatory IBEP. Why on earth would we want more mandatory obligations to hassle the majority of good people.
    There we are with the written word. It was I that brought up IBEP. I am not in favour of mandatory. You misinterpret what I was saying. What I said was, - if we have an issue with last minute archery tackle purchases by people that want to take advantage of an archery season, and this causes the hunting community or government concern (excessive wounding as an example) that the implementation of a mandatory IBEP would address this last minute purchase issue.

JT

I agree the crossbow is a bow.It has been around a very long time and is very efficient. That may be its downfall.
    Last year in the archery only season I met two guys that told us that they got a deer at 73 yds. They were very proud of their accomplishment. These two fellows would not voluntarily take the IBEP course and no doubt there are many more like them. I label them INSTANT ARCHERS that are using the crossbow only to extend the season with minimal effort.
    We in this have the least bowhunter opportunities of almost any of the provinces and only lately are we getting some changes.
    At the begninning of my rant I wrote of the ease of use and efficiency of the crossbow. I fear that this will lead to lost bowhunting opportunities that are slow to come by. REMEMBER the late season moose hunt in Dawson Creek area using muzzel loaders.
    The efficient scoped inline muzzel loader shooting saboted bullets killed that season. I fear crossbows will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Awishanew
    At the begninning of my rant I wrote of the ease of use and efficiency of the crossbow. I fear that this will lead to lost bowhunting opportunities that are slow to come by. REMEMBER the late season moose hunt in Dawson Creek area using muzzel loaders.
    The efficient scoped inline muzzel loader shooting saboted bullets killed that season. I fear crossbows will do the same.
    But your assumption, which is the root of your fear, is that the crossbow somehow makes hunting far more efficient than using a traditional bow.

In your example (which I know nothing about, I only take your word for it) a high end muzzle loader with scope can extend the effective range of a black powder weapon to easily twice that of a flint or caplock shooting lead ball with open sights. The high end black powder rifles rival centerfire rifles in terms of range and accuracy. There is a huge DIFFERENCE in terms of effective range between the two weapons in this case.

With the crossbow - the arrow does not fly any farther, any faster, or any straighter. There is no extention of effective range, nor is there any real technical efficiency or advantage, other than the (argueably) somewhat easier aim/fire routine afforded by the stock/trigger/scope.

So you know a crossbow hunter who tagged a dear at 73 yards. There was a compound bow shooter a while back on huntshoot that took a moose at 80 yards. These are behavior/ethical issues, that have nothing to do with the weapon(s) in question here.

Anyway....
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

harbinger vbmenu_register("postmenu_37696", true);

hey, if crossbows are open to use ONLY during bow season are you allowed to use a bow during rifle season?
    crossbows are open from the first day of the hunting season,and through the whole season,not just archery season.

I did a trade for a Excaliber Exomag and right out of the box it could shoot cigerette size groups at 20 yards even tho I had never shot an Xbow before and was using shortened 2219 arrows with plastic vanes that I cut the nock off and installed regular arrow inserts for the nock.

I can remember a dozen or so years back when in bow season ( I forget what they called the season, special weapons or somthing) you could also use a muzzleloader, now that the muzzleloaders of today are so superior than even what they were 20 years ago, that "special weapons season" is gone because the muzzleloader of today is pretty much a rifle.

Crossbows are getting to be the same way with weights and speeds increasing greatly in the last few years. 10 years ago there was no sign of 250 lb crossbows, now there is several on the market. The progression of the Xbow will be its own worst enemy. With effeciancy increasing, longer shots will be taken. There has been talk of 300-400 lb Xbows being introduced withing the next several years. I am not exactly sure of what the limits will be on the Xbow in the future.

Compounds are in somewhat the same boat, when I began archery 210 AMO was fast, now its 300+ in leas than 20 years its a 30% increase in speed altho they are pretty much getting close to what the capabilities of the modern comound until the overdraw makes its re-introduction.

The modern Traditional bow is still pretty much the same as it was 30-40 years ago with about 10% increase's in effeciency maximum and the limits won't go much farther even with the introduction of carbon fiber because there is a limit on what laminated wood cores will take before they will shear.

so in the regs it says under the definition of crossbow that they are open for special bow only season except otherwise stated or something. Am I misinterpriting the regs?help me out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddog
    harbinger vbmenu_register("postmenu_37696", true);

hey, if crossbows are open to use ONLY during bow season are you allowed to use a bow during rifle season?

crossbows are open from the first day of the hunting season,and through the whole season,not just archery season.

I wanted to get into bow hunting and bought a cross bow to start. It all depends on the perosn, as was stated earlier there are many rifle hunters who buy a rifle a week before hunting season, never go to the range and practice and miss or make bad shots because of their inexperience with their weapon of choice. To me the same is true of bow hunting, whether a person goes out and buys a compound bow or a crossbow a week before the season they are likely not going to be proficient with their weapon of choice.

Myself, I've been out to the range around 20 times using my cross bow and have a Block to shoot it at home. I've shot it along side friends who have compund bows and plan to hunt with them, the ranges are comparible. So whatever the weapon of choice it comes down to the responsibility of the end use. So as a cross bow is a bow then it should be allowed, may be compound bows and crossbows shouldn't be allowed, only long bows?????

My God the government loves to get ahold of a thread like this. Keep the user groups fighting amoungst each other. You guys are amazing, Why can't you just go hunting and enjoy YOUR time in the bush how YOU want to hunt. Quit worrying about the other guy and enjoy it now because the end may be sooner than you think.
    Pull the trigger all the way back.