Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal?

Is it legal?

1. Food plots for waterfowl. Is it legal to plant millet or a crop strictly to attract waterfowl to hunt over.

2. Flashing LED lights. Some decoys use flashing lights instead of motion to attract ducks. If it is used during legal shooting hours.

It's not that I want to use these products but when I saw them advertised I questioned their legalities.
    Hooked on quack.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is it legal?

I like the duck with landing lights, thats funny! Cant iimagine why other ducks would fall for that though!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Bait isn't legal but I'm not sure about the lights. Have to read the regs. K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    This could be one of those fine line things. If you plant corn and then hunt over it when it's up or when it's cut is this considered baiting? Hunting over grain fields that have been planted? I'm not sure if this would fall under baiting or not. It's just another type of attraction crop.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Show me where it says bait isnt legal?????

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...g/regulations/
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

It's a federal regulation not a provincial one. If my memory serves me right you can't hunt an area for a weeks after all the bait is gone or 400 meters from a bait site. I'd have to do some digging to find it. My question is though is a crop considered bait if it's a living plant.
    Last edited by Marc; 04-12-2009 at 10:55 AM.

BCWF

This should give you an idea of the laws for baiting waterfowl taken from http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/reg...rc-c-1035.html

BAIT RESTRICTIONS

14. (1) Subject to section 23.3, no person shall hunt for migratory game birds within 400 m of any place where bait has been deposited unless the place has been free of bait for at least seven days.
    (2) [Repealed, SOR/93-431, s. 2]
    (3) Subject to section 23.3, no person shall deposit bait in any place during the period beginning 14 days before the first day of the open season for that place and ending on the day immediately following the last day of the open season for that place, unless the person, at least 30 days prior to depositing the bait,
    (a) obtains the consent in writing of
    (i) every landowner and lessee or tenant whose land is located within 400 metres of that place,
    (ii) the Regional Director, and
    (iii) the chief game officer of a province or any game officer of the province authorized by him to act on his behalf; and
    (b) posts in that place signs of a type and wording satisfactory to, and in a location designated by, the Regional Director.
    (4) A consent obtained pursuant to paragraph (3)(a) is valid only in respect of the open seasons in respect of which it was obtained.
    (5) Subsection (3) does not apply to the holder of a permit referred to in section 19 or 20 who places bait
    (a) in a confined area specified in his permit, or
    (b) at a distance of not less than 400 metres from an area where the hunting of migratory birds is permitted
    for the sole purpose of feeding migratory birds lawfully in his possession.
    (6) For the purpose of subsection (1), any area
    (a) of standing crops, whether flooded or not,
    (b) of harvested crop land that is flooded,
    (c) where crops are properly shocked in the field where they grow, or
    (d) where grain is scattered solely as a result of normal agricultural or harvesting operations
    shall not be regarded as a place where bait has been deposited.
    (7) [Repealed, SOR/81-641, s. 2]
    SOR/78-490, s. 3; SOR/79-544, s. 6; SOR/80-577, s. 6; SOR/81-641, s. 2; SOR/93-431, s. 2; SOR/99-147, s. 3; SOR/2001-323, s. 2.

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Show me where it says bait isnt legal?????

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...g/regulations/
    "It is unlawful" section, number 16 on page 18 of last year's regs.

I'm betting the flashing lights would get caught up by number 12 on the same page:

It is unlawful to hunt wildlife by the use of, or with the aid of, a light or an illuminating device.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    This should give you an idea of the laws for baiting waterfowl taken from http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/reg...rc-c-1035.html
    S14(6) makes it pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by branthunter View Post
    S14(6) makes it pretty clear.
    OK this is about as clear as mud to me. Is it saying it's ok to plant attractant crops?

BCWF