Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

Re: Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

Another breed to research is the Brittany Spaniel. They are a pointing breed, awesome family pets/ members and great hunters. Their coats are SUPER low maintenance, they do not smell and are small enough to sit in the front of the vehicle or on the couch or sleep in your bed if your wife is so inclined. My dog is very gentle with kids of all shapes and sizes and all she wants to do is please us. She has been incredibly easy to train as well. Definatley look into these dogs as well they are definatly worth investigating.

Get a lab. They will push cover that other dogs will shun , like heavy blackberry. My yellow has pointed pheasant, thank God I had a witness because the first time i didn't believe what I was seeing. Be aware that in purchasing field trial stock you may end up with a dog that's hyper and a handful to train.

Do NOT start the dog on upland birds if you want it to sit in a duck blind too. The fun of flushing makes it hard for the dog to accept the boredom of sitting still waiting for flights and he will let you know all about his unhappiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Borcagu
    I know it is a stupid question but I would like to hear from you experianced hunters...
    I do not have much choice but to have only one dog for hunting ... so having said that my question is:
    "What would be the best , in your opinion , universal hunting dog"?
    I would like to have a dog for duck (retriver) and upland bird hunting (retriver and pointing) and at the same time to be a good dog with kids at home?"
    Thank you all for your time.
    Regards,
    Borcagu
    Most hunting dogs are good with kids. Give the dog a save-place to his own where he can retreat to and rest. You need to look at the history of dogs and how the protectors got separated from the hunters and then the hunters got bread for specific types of hunting. Once you know what your needs are, there are breeds that will fit that description. From these specific breeds then you can look at the different characteristics that might fit your environment.

DK (German Shorthair), DD (German Wirehair), DL (German Longhair), DS (Deutsch Stichelhaar), GM (Grosser Muensterlaender), KM (Kleiner Muensterlaender), PP (Pudelpointer), Gordon Setter.
    Are some of the breeds that I would consider in your case. If you know more exactly what you are looking for and what characteristics you like and dislike that would be of help to pinpoint a breed.

I am more confused now than I was at the beggining.I guess I will have to sit down and decide what do I really want as a first step and after that do more research on dogs.Anyhow I thank you all for good advices.Borcagu

get a lab. great dogs easy to train and not anywhere near as hyper as the other breeds. . their great with kids and family and great outdoors dogs in the boat ,hunting, hiking, camping etc. whatever you want them ta do. mine even keeps me company while fishin.

Black labs rule!! Although never trained for retriving or pointing she does both. The pointing is towards her food bowl and the retriving is anything I throw but what other dog will sleep beside you while a deer walks up to you and not care in the least(this happened to me). The best freind I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

german short hair pointer is very good dog also good with kids

Re: hunting pheasants,grouse,chukar or quail

I would like if some out their like to hunt pheasants,quail,chukar, grouse with hunting dogs. I have very good pointing dogs just need a good hunting partner and place to go.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Yuo can actually get labs that are bred to be pointers if you can believe that. They have a heavier insulated coat for retrieving ducks in cold water conditions. It's also hard to beat a lab as a family dog. They love kids and being part of a family unit.

Marc.
    I've had GSP & GWP, both great dogs. The GSP, on upland birds worked closer then say an EP, good nose, a tender mouth and a great family dog besides. GWP were much the same but had a coat that could handle the cold water better. Both, however, could be somewhat 'bone headed'.

I now have a Yellow Lab. She's a great dog and suprisingly, I have noticed her pointing on a number of occasions. In a previous thread, I made mention that she had Cryptococcus. Shes fine now but after the procedure on her nasal passage, the smell ability is diminished considerably. Oh well, at least I still have my dog, a great companion so I can live with that.

Look into silver labs. They are a classic lab with all the great traits but in a unique silver colour like a weimeraner.