Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

Re: Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

i've heard that their hyperness actually draws the ducks closer for some reason, i'll admit i don't know a tonne about em but they look cool

Trust me all they do is piss you off I've huntined for geese and the dog decides to jump out of the blind just as the geese were getting into range trust me it didn't attract the birds at all.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

any of the utilty breeds are good . The fact that you said pointing limits the search (pointing is an inherited gene)
    As for Labs be very selective with bloodlines , (we prefer the english style labs especially yellow ones ) There are so many people that breed them just because they are in demand and they can get away with high prices without people ever questioning the liniage, that some of the genetics are really questionable.
    you can find a good registered dogs or at the very least awell bred well trained gun dog with a cold nose and a good temperment in many breeds.
    And dont fall for the old salesman line that "you get what you pay for" because people overpay for dogs all the time because they have emotion dictating the purchase .
    Find someone that bred the dog because they wanted stock and they have a few extra to sell (remember if the breeders don't want a pup then perhaps you don't) . good luck
    Last edited by Barracuda; 11-16-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Although not a great pointer.....but ours have flushed birds in the past.....I would always vote for a female Cheasepeake. Outstanding water dogs.....great retrievers on land or in water.....and the females have a great disposition.

Labs are your best allround choice. I was raised with Germanshorthairs which we all loved during grouse season,the rest of the year they were heel on wheels!! I own two labs,one choclate and one black. they are amazing retrievers and the black bitch really handles the upland stuff well. Oh yeah they are super family members as well. I can help hook you up with some excellant breeders... goggle up "Heads Up Kennels" or "TNT" kennels.Good luck.PS stay away from the tollers
    Blacktailaholic

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. They point, retrieve, track, make great pets and they don't shed!

Sasquatch

Owned 4 Black Labs over the years. Best Damm dogs ever !!! but like other people say , never seen one point. Flush like hell, best retriever bar none and best family dog going. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Thank you guys I do appreciate your imput.It will take some more time and research but I think it is going to be a lab.One more time thank you all.Regards,Borcagu

Skip the lab and go with a GSP. They are a little loony until they hit about 1.5 to 2 yrs but even then they still work great. And amazing with the kids like you wouldn't believe.

They are short haired and they don't stink like a lab can. Ours points on sight/smell and flushes on command, loves the water, excellent retriever and has a very soft mouth. Got him from an RCMP in Mission about 10 yrs ago. VERY easy to train as the desire to please is strong in this breed. This "please" factor is so strong that he has been trained to leave the chickens alone and doesn't even point them. That training only took about 2 weeks but he had the idea in the 1st couple of days. Bird dog that likes his chicken buddies (4 yrs. and no mistakes).

It is almost time to start looking for a new one as our big guy is now a senior dog. Would like to get the new one and have the old guy help train him up.

Though i am a lab guy the german that my Dad had did it all-upland,ducks geese,even turkeys. there are some lab lines that will point,and you can train a good lab to hold steady so you can get into position. guess it's up to you!!
    Blacktailaholic