Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

Red face Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

I know it is a stupid question but I would like to hear from you experianced hunters...
    I do not have much choice but to have only one dog for hunting ... so having said that my question is:
    "What would be the best , in your opinion , universal hunting dog"?
    I would like to have a dog for duck (retriver) and upland bird hunting (retriver and pointing) and at the same time to be a good dog with kids at home?"
    Thank you all for your time.
    Regards,
    Borcagu

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

I use a 660 yamaha grizzly - It retrieves a lot of game for me. It is a little rough with the kids, though.

Oh wait, that's not a dog. Oops.
    Big Slugs, Big Bores

i have German short hairs they are not to bad Ive had one up in rock creek at the end of October, she didn't mind the cold. both my dogs love the water to, Ive herd of some that wont even go in the water.

Lab or any kind of retriever
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

GSP or GWP, actually any of the German utility dogs.

A Springer or Labrador will work if you could live with a flusher rather than a pointer.

Yuo can actually get labs that are bred to be pointers if you can believe that. They have a heavier insulated coat for retrieving ducks in cold water conditions. It's also hard to beat a lab as a family dog. They love kids and being part of a family unit.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

nova scotian duck troller

Quote Originally Posted by mainland hunter
    My friend owned two back east. They are too hyper and yippy for my liking. My buddies dogs would retrieve the ducks alright, but they'd be half plucked and eaten by the time the owner got the duck away from the dog. Just my opinion but then again I'm partial to labs.

Here is my Yellow Labrador Nash at 11 months. Just so people know one of those ducks was my father's. The bag limit back east is 6 in your possession.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by mainland hunter
    God no! LoL

I have worked with 2 of these beasts before and unless you have lots of experience these little red-devils will leave you ripping your hair out.

Hell, what am I sayin, even if you have lots of experience with dogs these will leave you shell-shocked unless YOU adapt to their method of hunting, which is unique to say the least. They are not by any means an upland dog and most are only passable retrievers. They are bred for the main purpose of running around in circles while throwing sticks in the air or in other words Tolling.

definately a labrador retriever, i own a yellow lab and he is the most awesome dog for retrieving downed birds.there is nothing he wont go through to get the bird. he is awesome with kids (loves them) loves to be a part of the family. i never did teach him to point although i know it is possible. he is fantastic at flushing birds out.