Thread: 10/22 butler creek mag jam

10/22 butler creek mag jam

I bought one of those hotlips 25 rd mags for my 10/22. i find that it is constantly jaming. Never have any jam problems with the rotary clip that comes standard with the gun.

any suggestions besides switching ammo? do these mags need to be worked in a bit?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 10/22 butler creek mag jam

the plastic lipped mags dont work very well, if you can ever find a steel lipped 25 rnd mag, buy it. They're more $ but worth it
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Even with the steel lipped mag I found there were a 4 FTF issues out of 150rds the mag and gun were both brand new. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to polish the surfaces and see if it could remedy the problem.

From what I understand from reading review that it'll take some time to loosen up and it should feed much better.
    Member BCWF

I found that if you make sure and unload them before you put them away they work pretty good. I left one loaded for a couple of weeks and the spring got weak and that one always jams on me now. I have the plastic ones.
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

As stated, the Steel Lips version is much better. Polishing the action/trigger assembly also helps alot.

If you havn't cheched out "Rimfirecentral", you should. They have lots of good tips and tricks that you can do yourself. I've done most of them, and find my gun to be VERY accurate and smooth operating.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

I find those ones only work when new...stick to the 10 rnd.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Plastic ones work just as well as the steel ones. Just make sure it is clean. If you have a bit of play where the mag sits, push forward on it. I had to use CCI ammo if i didn't want to many ftf or fte....
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

check out canadian gun nutz in the rimfire section there is a big 10/22 following. i believe i saw some thing in there about the mags in the 10/22 thread that is right at the top

I disagree the plastic ones suck

and whatever you do dont buy one of those ramline 50 rnd ones. ...really really ...suck.

also make sure your not resting on the mag when shooting.