Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

Phoenix,

Thanks for the advice I'm hoping that once I remove his testicles, bloodflow may return to his brain and expedite the process. 2 months to go!

You've got beautiful dogs
    If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

Devilbear Guest

There is no major behaviour modification when a dog is neutered as most production of testosterone takes place in the hypothalamus and not the testes. This is an "old wive's tale" and while SOME "roaming behaviour" might be checked, the aggression levels, etc., will not show much change.

My current boy, "Trojan's Diamond in the Ruff-V1" is now 2.5 and I got him at about 2; he was and is the best behaved male dog I have ever had and I have had pb Rottweilers for 24 years and other breeds for far longer. BUT, Cdn. Champion Quean Lily Lovelyface, his and my little princess is coming into estrous and he is just another teenage boy, pant, slobber, etc.; male mammals are all about the same........

Devilbear - you are a dream stealer. Couldn't you just lie to me and tell me it'll help increase his attention span? I mean for serious. Although, I must say, due to extensive socialization he's absolutely fabulous around other dogs, and actually a bit of a pushover.

Behaviourally we don't really have problems with him (asides for the zero-attention span that is inherent to the age, and somewhat to the breed, plus he's stubborn as balls). The only reason I want to fix him is because we have no plans on breeding him, and I don't want him to have related health issues as he gets older.
    Last edited by una; 03-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

I had a German Shepard X that did not like bears at all and would put the run on them. She was also a hell of a mouser and would retrieve grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    mother in law.

Covered in Bacon grease

Fixed it for ya
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

These are one of the toughest and best bear hunting dogs...keep in mind they are small but they have plenty of fight in em. Watch for the dog flying through the air and coming back for more....talk about little dog with BIG heart!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wWEs83x4kg

Just noticed theres some Jagd terrier pups for sale in the classified section, you should talk to one of these people on the breed...never owned one myself but an old friend of the family uses one to hunt bears and swears by them. Best of luck to ya!

gh300 Guest

Only way to go is a Chihuahua. Provides the bear with a spicy Mexican treat as you quietly tiptoe away. Lol.

karelian bear dog or 450 marlin.

First off, I totally agree that any dog can provide warning or chase off a scared bear, but in the event of needing real protection I would trust my Karelian or an agile stock dog of equal mental toughness over a large aggressive "human" protection breed simply because when going up against a grizzly, moose or elk diversion not brawn is going to do the trick.

My karelian showed the harrassing/dodging instict at 6 weeks with our cats , and while lacking no courage they react very instinctively when dealing with wildlife, and by that I mean they have no intention of being walloped by an animal many times their size . Wolves deal with bears in the same matter of fact ,respectful way when harrassing them off a carcass.
    And for the record I have hunted with leashed karelians on many occasions.