Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post

Thats what ive been trying to teach my dog. But he must be slow or something cus he just isn't getting it.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Anyone in the EK looking for a bear warning/protection device I have one male heeler pup left if he is anything like his parents lord help the bears

This bear didnt stand a chance against my Black Lab.

Hello Mike; Back about 10 yrs' my brother's Akida saved my wife and 4yr. old son from a Cougar. It was an great dog in and around kids and people. However it had issues with any and all other animals. O.P.V.B. (other people's vet bills) cost my brother alot of $ over the years. Perhaps the attitude of the Akida was due to non-socializing with other animals? However it did save my wife and son. The dog used to gently roll the kids over like a piece of wood and lick their faces as they turned. It would also herd the kids up like sheep and place itself between the adults and children when we would get (a little bit) loud at night around the campfire.
    For my last "however" Some guys I work with in the bush hesitate to bring fido into the woods due to the fact that when the dog is outmatched he bee-lines straight back to his owner with Yogi in close pursuit! Good Luck Tom

We have a great pyrennese/kuvaz cross. Friends have had good experiences with theirs chasing bears their acreage. Our's alerts to anything louder than a falling snowflake, which can get old, but we know when something is out there. She never comes inside and is not tied at night. Folks have questioned how I would feel if she were mauled. I explain the dog is a tool, and while important, is worth much less than my family's welfare. She is a consumable and will be replaced if required. Also at 6 months and 60 lbs intruders may pass our place by in the future.

I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

What's the story behind the pic?

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I have had a German shepard which run off a balckie for me. My Golden retriever kept a grizz at bay for me while I got the hell out of dodge. My Shepard also chased off a Rotty which went after my wife getting the mail once. In my experience if the dog is loyal and I mean if it is classed as part of the family unit it will protect it's owners. I would have hated for someone to lay a hand on me, or my wife and son when I had my shepard. She was very loyal to our family and I don't doubt one second she would have died protecting any one of us. Now my Black lab, she would slobber all over you, and probably help you carry out the stolen property, but she does have a mean bark!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I had an incident when my Rott/Mastiff x was about 7 months old. I was setting up a treestand & the dog was snooping around while I worked. I lost track of him, being focused too much on my work. Wasn't long before I heard some barking followed by one hell of a commotion as he had sniffed out a bear, and it decided to chase down the dog. He came running straight for me with the bear on his heels. I had time to grab my Marlin 44 Mag out of the truck as the pup rounded the last bend towards me. He swerved off to the side of the truck, and I whacked the bear in the noggin with a 240 XTP, down he went. Poor pup was all wound up with excitement.

Turns out it was the same bear that had made a run at my mom near her house, but my bro's big hulkin' (165 lb) malamute charged back at it & chased it off.

Myself I don't want a dog that'll chase, just give me warning and stay at my side which is how my Rott is trained now.

The guy that runs the park at Liard River Hot Springs went to Alaska to get two Husky/Wolf cross puppies to train as bear dogs for the park. Turned out he got Husky/Greyhound puppies. The one I saw was a beautiful dog. He's already trained one bear dog (Retreiver I think it was) and figured the husky/GH cross would work pretty well

7m7
    Always check your backtrail