Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    i always chuckle when folks mention those

many of the breeds folks have mentioned if they havnt been used in the last generation or two or they are show dogs that have had the brains bred out of them and the drive diluted then they dont cut it .

a dog for bear protection is a completly different set of wants then a hunting dog.

If it were just for protection i would go for a tight working cattle dog or collie type, smart fast and loyal .
    ha! that's funny.....my dad has a collie - it's good at catching frisbees and herding my nieces and nephews at family dinners. But quite frankly, it's probably the last dog I'd want in the bush with me if I came across a bear. Don't get me wrong, she's wicked smart - but herding and protection are two completely different things. Most dogs are fast and most dogs are loyal.......but you want the dog to protect your well-being and chase the bear away if need be.....not herd it.

sorry but even the smallest bear will kill most any dog if it chooses to so the only real way a dog protects you is by letting you know of the bear and perhaps (big perhaps) keeping it occupied while you scurry away or prepare to dispatch with a fire arm etc. .

Have you ever seen a real working livestock dog? not these silly shows or comps.
    Collies and cattle dogs (or crosses with other working stock) are used for most everything and that includes warning etc of predators
    . they are not simply herders.

Find me one Hunter that uses a laika/Karelian if its just for chaseing a scared bear away then any mongrel in multiples should do

If you want to catch one on the ground or tree it a dog with a nose brains and drive is needed to pursue till the bear stops or trees.

Even a lone wolf wont normally tackle a full grown blackbear never mind a grizz so protection is a pretty general statement i think.

Well, I'm sure your herding dog would know the bear was there before you did, as would almost any dog. But there's dogs bred as guard/protection dogs and dogs bred for herding. I'll pass on the latter and leave them for the sheperds......

My elkhound went toe to toe with 2 different black bears. Once the bears got fed up he kept them at bay and would not let them leave. Man I loved that dog. Not only did he warn me of danger......he did protect me. Twice

It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Billy View Post
    Well, I'm sure your herding dog would know the bear was there before you did, as would almost any dog. But there's dogs bred as guard/protection dogs and dogs bred for herding. I'll pass on the latter and leave them for the sheperds......
    not sure where you get the idea that livestock dogs are and were only used for herding?

I have hunting hounds not working livestock dogs but i have watched real stock dogs enough to know that a fast acting dog with brains and grit like a good livestock dog can keep all sorts of critters occupied and they are obediant enough that you could call them off.

Hounds not so much

judgeing by the damage a bear can do to our flea farms the kamakazie dogs would be rather short lived .

I would prefer a dog that dodges hoofs and claws then tough dogs that get vet bills or dirt naps

aslong as the dogs got a good bark and isn't a little rat dog that will make a good meal. most bears wont hang around or even come in to see whats going on. when it comes down to a bear can kick any dogs a$$ its all about the warning they give you

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Protection ? None.
    Early warning ? Almost any breed.
    Agree'd

My 3 are freakin midgets at 25lbs each but fearless and use to being in the bush. Alert and watchful. They will make excellent bear bait in a pinch while I vacate the area!
    Do not mess with nature...... as you are small AND biodegradable

The countryside is a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander around uncooked!

Well I dunno about bears, but a buddy has a 35lb staffie that likes nothin better than beating up raccoons...mind you she's got a 80lb pit behind her who will save her ass if necessary.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

vortex hunter Guest

two words Dogo Argintino