Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

Quote Originally Posted by bmx_slinger View Post
    they are somewhat uncommon, and kind of tough to get a hold of, but have you heard of a rhodesian ridgeback? I've got an 8 month pup and he's awesome! haven't really had him out hunting yet, but they were originally bred to bay lions in africa, s you know they have the balls for it. the lady who owns his father has 3 and says hers have treed bears on the property several times and chased them away when ot for walks. sounds like they do the job to me. they are super friendly and loyal to. and they look super cool. comes with a built in mohawk!
    Have a buddy who spent huge $ on a ridgeback. Can't judge a breed on one dog - needless to say it is one of the most neurotic and useless dogs I've ever seen. They've got other dogs and have owned other dogs in the past without any issues. Last I heard they were trying to give it away.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Have a buddy who spent huge $ on a ridgeback. Can't judge a breed on one dog - needless to say it is one of the most neurotic and useless dogs I've ever seen. They've got other dogs and have owned other dogs in the past without any issues. Last I heard they were trying to give it away.
    HA too bad about that. The ones that i have met were super chill and laid back. I see youre a kelowna man. is this dog in town too?

HA too bad about that. The ones that i have met were super chill and laid back. I see youre a kelowna man. is this dog in town too?
    Used to be - don't think so anymore.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Get a gun you don't have to feed them. just razzing ya , I'm sure you'll get all the info you need I learned lots just reading all these posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    What ever you get, make sure it's WELL disciplined, ie; will come when called (always) and won't leave your side unless told so - A dog that marches to its own drum is pretty useless IMO and can actually be hazardous in the bush - As with any mutt, training is key.
    Couldn't agree more.

12 to 14 Tosa inu dogs should keep a grizz of your case for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywill View Post
    surprised no mention of karelians yet.
    Nice lookin' dog. Never heard of them before so had to do a little research. Interesting history. Akitas are similar looking and had similar jobs (elk, antelope, boar, and bear hunters), just a different geography.

Our Akita is very aware of bears. She will watch coyotes, and deer pass by the property with some interest, but when a bear is near she literally vibrates. Very tuned in.

They are extremely loyal, and very protective. Ours seems to be a very good judge of character as well. We were sitting on the tailgate of my truck outside the camper waiting for the wife one day. An unsavory character walked up and commented on the dog. Went to pet her, and never got closer than about 3 ft. The dog made no bones of the fact she didn't like him. She's very choosy as to who she will let near our stuff.

You do have to watch them around other dogs, especially smaller ones. They tend not to play well with dogs they don't know. No problems with other animals raised on the property or our neighbours dogs, but strange dogs beware.

i always chuckle when folks mention those

many of the breeds folks have mentioned if they havnt been used in the last generation or two or they are show dogs that have had the brains bred out of them and the drive diluted then they dont cut it .

a dog for bear protection is a completly different set of wants then a hunting dog.

If it were just for protection i would go for a tight working cattle dog or collie type, smart fast and loyal .

they are somewhat uncommon, and kind of tough to get a hold of, but have you heard of a rhodesian ridgeback? I've got an 8 month pup and he's awesome! haven't really had him out hunting yet, but they were originally bred to bay lions in africa, s you know they have the balls for it. the lady who owns his father has 3 and says hers have treed bears on the property several times and chased them away when ot for walks. sounds like they do the job to me. they are super friendly and loyal to. and they look super cool. comes with a built in mohawk!
    You know,,,, I once had a female B. Lab that had a 50% cross of Ridgeback, in her. Good dog - Never had the opportunity of testing her nerve but was very bright, attentive, and obedient. A great retriever that out-classed our male, pure bred, blackie - He was one STUBBORN S.O.B.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Protection ? None.
    Early warning ? Almost any breed.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny