Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

For both alerting and engaging a bear you want at least two dogs . Even a good bear dog can get injured or killed in a flash. A pair of Airedale terriers will be hell on everything - once keyed up they will not quit. Loyal and tough they are. Raise them with other animals otherwise they can be dangerous to other dogs and domestic critters.

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    For both alerting and engaging a bear you want at least two dogs . Even a good bear dog can get injured or killed in a flash. A pair of Airedale terriers will be hell on everything - once keyed up they will not quit. Loyal and tough they are. Raise them with other animals otherwise they can be dangerous to other dogs and domestic critters.
    The problem with airdales is you need to have some brains in a protection dog. Airedales deffinately lack that. There is no way you could call off the dogs in a bear fight. Much like a hound you will get your dogs back when they are good and ready unless you plan on using tracking collars. Airedales are fine for bear hunting but I would stay away from them for protection dogs.

border collie shepard cross. super loyal,protective and loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    mother in law.

lousy companion but can turn a bear inside out with the flick of its tongue
    You can borrow mine,FOR FREE!!

expensive but there is a breed called the Karelien bear dog, it has been bread in scandanavia for hundreds of years for the sole purpose of bear hunting / the alberta Co's use them for bear controll.if I had a spare grand lying around I would get one

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    You mean airheads?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I will get this in before Everett does, a HEELER. tough as nails. loyal, hate bears and take up no room in a tent or plane .

Our Sheppard(Red German) is a beast! Gonna try out the baby bernese this year he's a suck, but also a buck 25 at 10 months

Originally, Boxers were bred for hunting Bears and Wild Boar.... While this practice is now frowned upon in the doggy circle (any hunting with this breed, FTM), I know that mine has always been the first to alert a 'presence' AND will jump into the ring when either called upon, or commanded. As a bonus, he will also retrieve; Grouse, bunny's, squirrels,,, what have you. Can also be pretty darn good at blood trailing.

Very versatile dog IME but they don't like being cold-n-wet as they get older (no undercoat).... And they/mine don't swim worth shit but gets along with anything that comes by, as long as it's "right" (keen sense to stuff that isn't "right") - I've had friends tell me, of whom haven't been into'd to the pooch, that there would be no way in hell of reaching into my p/u if I weren't there and he's in the back seat (protective of surroundings - Later role of the breed).

Are ALWAYS on the 'alert', but have a NASTY habit of 'left-hooking' ya in the balls (OUCH!), when playing around.

What ever you get, make sure it's WELL disciplined, ie; will come when called (always) and won't leave your side unless told so - A dog that marches to its own drum is pretty useless IMO and can actually be hazardous in the bush - As with any mutt, training is key.

Good luck!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

you want a good bear dog? get a akita agreat bear dog.