Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

I live in black and grizzly country. I have raised Elkhounds. They are a good medium sized protection dog but once they got going after a bear I would be lucky to see them for days. If I drove to some place and they took off I would have to keep coming back to the place they took chase every day. Eventually they would be there waiting for me. My present bear dogs (never use one dog for bear) are an Airedale and a Rotty. The Airedale is fast. He will get in there, bite the bear and out of the way before the bear can turn on him. The Rotty is backup. No where near as fast as the Airedale but has 40 pounds on him. His hate for bears (all dogs hate bears) keep him barking. This distracts the bear, it doesn't know which dog will turn on it so takes to running or treeing. If it trees the Airedale barks treed! It actually tries to climb the tree to get at the bear. The Rotty will stay under the tree with the Airedale barking. When the fun is over, back home, the dogs cuddle up to the cat or baby for a well deserved snooze.

There is a group of breeders reintroducing Tahltan Bear Dog. This little Mutt is the premier bear defense dog, I was lucky to see a pair inaction when I lived up north many years ago. If you can find one Bob's Your Uncle.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Get a purebreed German Hunting Terrier preferably direct import from Germany. These little Devils are a one Dog Riot, all you need is one. Trust me, you will feel sorry for any Grizzly or Black Bear because these little critters are absolutely relentless, even tracked and found wounded Cougar with it. Had them for almost 40 years - WUNDERBAR.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    There is a group of breeders reintroducing Tahltan Bear Dog. This little Mutt is the premier bear defense dog, I was lucky to see a pair inaction when I lived up north many years ago. If you can find one Bob's Your Uncle.
    About two years ago was walking our Tollers ( like the Tahltan a true Canadian breed ) by our home on the Coquihalla River and ran into a couple with a medium sized black dog. I looked and looked at it and said "Um, that looks a lot like a Tahltan but they are extinct ??" The couple that had the dog said that they, and a few others from "up North" were trying to recreate the breed. They agreed that they will never have a 100% pure bred Tahltan but what they had was reasonably close. Nice looking dog, nice size and if it can replicate the "bear" actions it would be a great dog for a serious outdoors person.
    One of only four breeds that were recognized as "Real Canadians" with a postage stamp and coin issue.

How about a kangel or a dogo
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    How about a kangel or a dogo
    Dogos might be ok, with another dog or two, but a good dogo doesn't talk about what he's doing, so I doubt they'd be much good until they were attached to the bear.
    Kangals...a-good luck finding one. B-you might as well just have a bear for the feed bill!
    Maybe an Akbash would be good, but again, it's a monster sized dog. Good for the homestead, but packing feed for it in the bush would suuuuuck.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_13 View Post
    I live in black and grizzly country. I have raised Elkhounds. They are a good medium sized protection dog but once they got going after a bear I would be lucky to see them for days.
    Interesting. They are a breed that will wander and are bred to hunt alone even without a hunter but Since 1997 I have not had an issue with my elkhounds taking off like that. I would love to put them through the training that they do in Norway Finland and Sweden though. The hunters I talk to regularly over there and the vids I have seen are pretty cool. And instant recall on their dogs.

I've got a west Siberian Laika. Amazing dog in the bush. At four months he treed his first bobcat (they were the same size). He's 1.5 yrs now and has runoff about a dozen bears and treed a handful. He's not going to stand and fight but as soon as he gets a visual, he starts barking and circling. The guy I got him from, Vladamir Beregvoy,is probably the best known breeder in NA. He told me the dog will never bring a bear back. So far he's right. They use them in Russia and Eastern Europe for bear, boar, moose, small game. He is so natural in the bush and hunting and so damn fast and agile. I wouldn't trade him for the world, such a great work companion. I sure wish I could use him moose hunting like they do in Eastern Europe.

One best thread I read a long time on HBC. I love dogs but unfortunately our Pomeranian does not make a great bear dog.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    What is your view on Jagdterriers vs. Fox Terriers? Of the folks that I've known who have owned one or the other the feeling seems to be that Jagdterriers are harder to control.

Clint - I was hoping you'd chime in with a response to the negative posts about Airedale terriers.
    Sorry my Friend just saw your Post Now.
    Never had a Foxterrier so I cant say how they would act on Predators.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !