Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    I looked at these pretty seriosly for a bush dog (while working in the bush) and the breeder said unless I was deliberately looking for bears or tracking them probably not good. They would find the bears all right but may bring them back too. Also if they start tracking a bear - then what. If you want assistance hunting bears good choice, if not might have to keep on a leash.
    They wouldn't be the best choice if you want a dog to follow you around a give you warning if a bear shows up, there are far better choices for that. If you keep it leashed it would make a great choice but again it isn't a breed for everyone. They are independent, high energy , territorial and tend to be aggresive towards other dogs. As long as they are allowed to be the dominant party they can be raised with other dogs . As far as bringing a bear back to you that shouldn't be a problem as their breeding is to silently hunt game and when they have caught up to it to bark ( rapidly and highpitched ) so the human hunter can come dispatch the game. If the animal refuses to stand and fight they eventually let it go and return to where they left the hunter. If you let one loose on a bear it would bay it up a wait for you to come to them.

Well, just this past Sunday my 55lb black lab chased a black bear away from me and my wife. Bear was down a bank coming up off the river, Chase was nose to nose with it... litterally. I walked up to see and low and behold i was 5 vertical feet from a blackie. That turned and ran.

Sounds like you got a keeper.
    Our dog Gage went after a coon under the porch at the cabin and wouldn't come when called.
    The end result wasn't that bad (for Gage) but now I don't trust her out in the bush. I don't want her to go after a bear and end up needing a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Well I dunno about bears, but a buddy has a 35lb staffie that likes nothin better than beating up raccoons...mind you she's got a 80lb pit behind her who will save her ass if necessary.
    Sounds like my house.

Get a Toller.
    Ours has treed two black bears at the cabin, the latest tonight when the bear was rummaging through our compost heap.
    Tore after the bear and chased it over the fence up into the neighbour's tree.
    30 lbs. of red haired hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Jr View Post
    Highly over rated those Karelians.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Highly over rated those Karelians.
    yeah, but still the best option. they are breed for it...

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

A purebreed German Hunting Terrier (male or Female) is a nightmare for any kind of Bear, Wolf, Cougar and other Predators. I have been using them continously since about 1973 and are now on my 4th one using them proffesionally. They are small (just a little larger then a Jack Russel Terrier) smart and agressively and relentlesly harras any Bear to the point that any given Grizzly or Black Bear will leave the area and will not return as long the GH Terrier is arround. Colouor is black & tan, Tail is docked.

There are many good Breeders in Germany all organized in the "Deutschem Jagdterrier Klub" ,some in the States and a few in Canada. Expect to pay arround 900.** for a papered Import less then halve for a US or Canadian Pup.

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Devilbear Guest

I have made friends with one a couple of years ago and was very impressed by the little guy, but, I am pretty "pro" almost anything German and hunting related. I thought about getting one, but, I am concerned that he would harass my Rottweilers and that would not be cool.

What is your profession, if I may ask and where/how do you use the little characters. Are they a good choice for "blood tracking" in your opinion?

Also, where in Canada, would one buy a top quality pup, price is not an issue with me, where my bonediggers are concerned.