Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Bear protection breed

Hello all...

Any advice or thoughts on which breed is most likely to have the disposition and senses (smell, sight, hearing) to make a good backcountry companion while providing protection and early warning for bears (and other critters)...

Mike
    ________
    wholesale vaporizer
    Last edited by msawyer; 02-08-2011 at 03:57 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear protection breed

My Norwegian elkhound proved to be excellent on all accounts. good luck with your choice. Plenty of breeds that can handle what you need

Both of my German Shepherds have done an excellent job of shoo'ing away yogi's during huckleberry picking season. They're also very smart, loyal, etc. I couldn't ask for better companions.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

mother in law.

lousy companion but can turn a bear inside out with the flick of its tongue

If you can find a male lab shepard cross, very good dog for this, very loyal and from personal experience can say will stand up to bears, 2 face personality when theres an intruder/bear ect.....

I have a bouvier/rotty cross that is perfect, furry and warm and will stand up to anything. She's also beginning to figure out cotote hunting. Just don't tell the rottie/lab and pittie that round out the "pack"
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    mother in law.

lousy companion but can turn a bear inside out with the flick of its tongue
    LMAO!!!!!!!

Shelton says to stick with any of the working or sporting breeds. They are most likely to stand between you and a bear.

My choice would be with one of the protection or working breeds - German Shepherd or a Rottie. But I'm sure there are many breeds that would fit the bill.
    In practice, I think it depends more on the individual dog than the breed. Most dogs don't like bears instinctively, so it can be a matter of attitude.
    Some dogs have a lot of attitude and others, even from the same litter, can be softer.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Personally if I was only looking for protection collie lab cross. that collie speed is important if the bear is a fighter. People can say try this dog or that dog but the fact is most dogs don't like bears and will chase them unfortunately the ones that run away easy are not the ones you have to worry about. You would be surprised how few dogs will stay in a bear fight for any length of time the last thing you need is the dog hiding behind you and this happens alot. In my neck of the woods I depend on having good bear dogs as the run ins are often. Any dog that won't hold its own on a mean bear is not welcome back home. My kids and wife are to important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    You would be surprised how few dogs will stay in a bear fight for any length of time the last thing you need is the dog hiding behind you and this happens alot. In my neck of the woods I depend on having good bear dogs as the run ins are often. Any dog that won't hold its own on a mean bear is not welcome back home. My kids and wife are to important to me.
    Thats why I loved my elkhound. Every bear we came across he made sure he was btween us and the bear. Unfortunately there were times he always kept the bear at bay and would not let it leave. lol