Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear protection breed

Re: Bear protection breed

BgBlkdg you obviously have experiences with big dogs its been 8 years since we have had a puppy so I'm out of the loop on what food is recommended.

If you don't mind I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on what puppy food to get.

Thanks
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by vortex hunter View Post
    two words Dogo Argintino
    My Presa Canario is an amazing companion out in the woods, stay by our side, won't bark unless come across a bear, hasn't ever chased after game!! Can't ask for more! 145lbs is a lot of dog, finds me sheds as well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    For both alerting and engaging a bear you want at least two dogs . Even a good bear dog can get injured or killed in a flash. A pair of Airedale terriers will be hell on everything - once keyed up they will not quit. Loyal and tough they are. Raise them with other animals otherwise they can be dangerous to other dogs and domestic critters.
    You are definitely right there, for bear engaging you need at least 2 dogs, I was gonna suggest the Jagdterrier.... Siberian Laika are good choice too...
    Religion is for people who fear Hell, Spirituality is for people who have been there...

2 dogs definitely safer. I agree. We will be using two Elkhounds this spring. But Norway, Finland, and Scandinavia have been using 1 elkhound for holding and hunting Griz since 5000BC
    In fact their hunting trials the dog must hunt bear alone. One hunter I talk to regularly in Finland just had his last dog pass her trial by holding a Griz at bay for 9 hours. Their marking system is brutal.
    Last edited by Elkhound; 12-19-2016 at 05:05 PM.

I don't own one, but surprised no one has mentioned Great Pyrenees. Very protective and fear nothing on 4 legs.

My 18 month old german shepherd has ran off numerous bears this spring/summer.. without hesitation!
    Best breed, hands down.. Brave, smart, loyal!

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    The two girls on the right in the pic are going to be my new protection against anything and everything dogs especially low life scum sucking thieves.

Bull mastiff/Rottweiler cross mom is pure breed Bull mastiff dad is pure breed Rottweiler they should top out at appr 120 lbs each when they are full grown.

These are my brother and sister Rotty/Cane Corso cross. He's about 125lbs. she's around 115.
    Untested on bears but they chased a dirt bag away from the neighbours house when they heard him break their back window, shoulda seen that piece a crap run with these two on his heels LOL

'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Somebody mentioned the kuvasz (a Hungarian Breed) a large and fearless dog,
    but there is another Hungarian dog bigger and more powerful called the komondor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeBXgQUJIY
    A well developed male can weigh up to 220 lbs this dog is not afraid of anyone or anything.
    Surprisingly for their large size they are very agile, not sensitive to cold or hot weather,
    as they were kept outside for centuries all year round.
    Wolves can't bite through it's thick fur and will not back down against a bear.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Lol wildcater!
    that dog looks rediculous! The bear would laugh itself away!

Wildcatter Komondors do not get that big. 220 pounds, no, more like 120 on the top end. We've had Pyrenees crosses with Irish Wolfhound and Anatolian Shepherd. The Wolfhound was the most badass for standing her ground against anything. Now we have a Kangal cross pup, and at 8 months he's 90 pounds and hell on coyotes. Haven't had an encounter with a bear yet, but we'll see come spring when they get snooping around again.

For those of you with Airedales, do any of you breed them and have litters available in the future? I have been interested in them for years but haven't been able to find a litter whenever we were looking to buy.