Page 74 of 79 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Pack was a K2 5500. I was initially skeptical about the bag size, but it worked out just fine for a 10 day hunt.

just want to thank everyone that has been sharing info in this thread. Lots of good stuff. I've never sheep hunted before but I hope to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    Did I miss the tent on there? 5 underwear . . . you goat hunting? 2 pairs, wash em up in the creek. Snacks (energy bars, trial mix, powder), soap, bags for meat, etc. Might be missing some items.

Tigoat 7.5 is our tent, plus titanium stove, 5.5 pounds

As aside note, there is now tooth paste in pill form, and shampoo in pill form, saves weight, Ill post when I find the email of my order.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta hunter View Post
    Tigoat 7.5 is our tent, plus titanium stove, 5.5 pounds

As aside note, there is now tooth paste in pill form, and shampoo in pill form, saves weight, Ill post when I find the email of my order.
    pikaoutdoors.com is the place I bought my pill form tooth paste

Quote Originally Posted by alberta hunter View Post
    pikaoutdoors.com is the place I bought my pill form tooth paste

Looks like pika doesn’t list them on their site anymore. This is where I get mine.

https://www.litesmith.com/hygiene/
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

well I've called myself a moron a few times now. my pack will weigh a good 8lb more going in this year than previous as ive decided to bring all my camera gear... for some reason I keep telling myself it will be worth it. looking at 67lb for a solo 10 day hunt. the pain is all in my head! somebody talk some sense into me lol

^^^lol not going to talk sense into you, you can do it..

Jason Hairston did a good YouTube video on this.

https://youtu.be/ooHvPr4Bk4I

He came in at 50lbs. Considering he is using all the top notch ultra lite gear it seems reasonable to come in around 60lbs for those bringing a few extra comforts and not using all ultra lite stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerduce View Post
    Jason Hairston did a good YouTube video on this.

https://youtu.be/ooHvPr4Bk4I

He came in at 50lbs. Considering he is using all the top notch ultra lite gear it seems reasonable to come in around 60lbs for those bringing a few extra comforts and not using all ultra lite stuff.
    50 lbs is doable for a 10day hunt but very hard to get lighter. Cutting food weight at that point is probably the only option. He didn’t include his rifle (5.25lbs according to him) or binos+harness in that weight. So closer to 60lb in reality.
    when I used to be more obsessive about having everything as light as possible, I could do 10 days on less than 60lbs including binos, rifle, siltarp and hiking pole’s. But over the years my gear is getting heavier. Rifle, scope, binos, spotter, tripod, sleeping mat,,, all heavier than they used to be for me. But, my food is better thought out and lighter, tent is lighter, sleeping bag lighter, pack lighter.
    Now for a 14 day hunt I’m in the 67-69 lb range, including rifle, binos+harness, siltarp and hiking poles. That’s not including a full liter of water. If I start going back lighter in some of this gear, I may sacrifice some comfort, and performance.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 12-13-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but for the last few years I’ve been repackaging all my meals with a vacuum sealer. It cuts down on some weight and really cuts down on the bulk. It also burns very easy compared to original packaging. I use a Fare Share mug for freeze dried meals.