Page 72 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Good for you. That's awesome. I'm 32 so hopefully I can get after it for another 30 years haha. I think the weight issue for me is the tent for sure. Should be able to buy something else and save a few lbs. That and a lighter tripod and sleeping bag. I'm currently into an Icon Pro 7200 for a pack. Comes in at just over 6 lbs. I looked at the SG ST 6900 but can't justify the price for the minimal difference in weight. However a far superior product for sure.

Appreciate the advice

Good to know thank you!
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my previous response. It was a good excuse for me to buy an ultralight rifle and SG 6900 pack

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Yeah I totally get it. I just don't want to be unrealistic about the weight but like eatram said. Sometimes you just gotta forget about it.

Good idea on no stove for a few days hunt. As for the tarp shelter I haven't tried that yet. Might do a one nighter and give it a go.
    Early season, shorter trips only. Just to be clear. Not suggesting anyone go in for a 2 week sheep trip without a tent and get hypothermia from 2 days of sideways rain. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Early season, shorter trips only. Just to be clear. Not suggesting anyone go in for a 2 week sheep trip without a tent and get hypothermia from 2 days of sideways rain. lol.
    Haha for sure. I got that.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

I agree, last years mid sept snowmageddon would not have been much fun under a tarp....

Yup time to bump this thread! Tons of great info on here.
    Dropped a ton of weight going from a 4 season 1 man to a Kifaru Tarp. Haven't decided whether to add a bivy bag or not but that took over 3lbs off the weight right there.
    A lighter rifle would be great but have gotten used to carrying my 45-70 Trapper every day for work so just getting used to the weight.

Last item on my list to pick up is a spotter. Had a Leupold Mk4 12-40x60 which was great for size and weight but not very comfortable to sit behind all day. Choices narrowed down to the Kowa 550, a used ATS 65mm, or a Vortex Razor 65mm (the older dual focus). Obviously all over the place with price and quality but these are the only 3 I really have on my brain at the moment.

Going solo as usual so the Kowa is looking like the one with the weight.

How is everyone else's prep going?

Kowa is a great option. I’m looking at a Nikon ED 50, not as good optically as the kowa but they are less money and lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by never.truly.lost View Post
    Yup time to bump this thread! Tons of great info on here.
    Dropped a ton of weight going from a 4 season 1 man to a Kifaru Tarp. Haven't decided whether to add a bivy bag or not but that took over 3lbs off the weight right there.
    A lighter rifle would be great but have gotten used to carrying my 45-70 Trapper every day for work so just getting used to the weight.

Last item on my list to pick up is a spotter. Had a Leupold Mk4 12-40x60 which was great for size and weight but not very comfortable to sit behind all day. Choices narrowed down to the Kowa 550, a used ATS 65mm, or a Vortex Razor 65mm (the older dual focus). Obviously all over the place with price and quality but these are the only 3 I really have on my brain at the moment.

Going solo as usual so the Kowa is looking like the one with the weight.

How is everyone else's prep going?
    Preps going good with the workouts but not quite enough hill time in the mtns too much fishing time with my boy... I have the Razor 65 mm I really like the glass....might be worth looking further into....

Not a sheep hunter, yet, but this thread is too good to not get in on it. Decided to put all my stuff on a list and weigh it all up, and put it on lighterpack. Pretty much my gear list for any backpack hunt, the only variable being days worth of food.

There's a couple things missing, I'd like to get some rain/shell mitts, and don't have a siltarp yet. And a couple things are on the list but I haven't purchased yet, like the spare tent pole, and I'll be replacing my headlamp with the one listed, so those weights are manufacturer specs. A couple things I just need to put on the scale, like hygiene kit and sunglasses, so I'll update it when I do.

Food is assumed weight for ten days, but Ive done a couple different daily menus and can pretty easily hit 3000cals for 1.5lbs per day, so that's my assumed weight.

Sitting at 68.55lbs skin out weight for ten days, assuming 2L of water. Base pack weight of about 40.25lbs, including everything except worn clothing and food/water from the list below. Solo, no shared gear. No salt listed, don't know if I'd trust my fleshing/turning abilities to risk salting in the field, gotta do more research on that. A couple small things could change here and there, but it's pretty much it.

https://lighterpack.com/r/u8mo4n
    Last edited by Cheeser; 06-28-2020 at 09:15 PM.

I see you wee running an Exo bag on a Kifaru frame. How does that work for you? Why did you go that route?