Page 60 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I've been pack training since 2000 so my body gets used to it's routine and responds fairly quickly. I usually can get into shape in 2 1/2 to 3 months.
    I have a local steep hill that only takes me an hour to get up and down. I start with a light pack and build up as high as I can which is usually in the 80lb range.

I use a sand bag and old weights but I space them out with an old bulky sleeping bag.

I will also add some longer hikes in the last few weeks of time permits...but I usually lighten up a bit for that.

I haven't been to a gym in close to a decade but could stand to get back in there especially to strengthen my core.
    You'd be surprised how little it helps. I can squat 250lb no problem, but there's no way i could carry a 130lb pack the distance you do. But you're 100% correct on the core work. We could all stand to improve on that for when the terrain gets tough. Great point.

^^^^on your squats I recommend going less weight and lots of reps, and more sets..works for mountain training for me anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^on your squats I recommend going less weight and lots of reps, and more sets..works for mountain training for me anyway..
    you're right .... i have started to incorporate more volume through more reps. I'm also going to be training legs more often than just once per week like i've mostly been doing.

There's nothing more rewarding that coming out with a heavy ass pack with a set of horns on top!! Like the others have said, good gear, a good pack that fits you well, set of trekking poles and good boots. Train as much as you can hiking with a heavy load in the hills, its the only way to prepare yourself for a trip like that. If your not in pain / suffering while training...you'll damn sure be suffering on the mountain. Fitness isn't everything in a back pack hunt, but it sure makes the hunt more enjoyable when your hoofing it up the hills and you can think to yourself, "this isnt as hard as the hills i trained on back home all summer in 35 degree heat" I tend not to think about how much work is going to be involved in the pack out till after the trigger is pulled Here was a dumb load from a few weeks ago lol! Camp, all the meat from a goat, and then got that caribou on our way back to the lake. Popped the head and cape on top for the 8km hike back to the lake and came back for the meat. 4 black toe nails! Cant wait to do it again some day.

Ive heard about the black toenail situation before. Why does it happen? Ive never had that issue. I imagine its your feet hitting the top of the boots? Is that a fitment issue or a lacing issue?

Another good one that you can do anywhere is unweighted squats or one legged. Or climb up all the stairs in a nice office building downtown.
    Eat your dessert first.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The consensus seems 130 or so coming out. Even if that's 100 for us who don't chase shneep for 10 days in a row, that's still considerably more than I usually pack. Especially when carried on slippery or uneven terrain.
    What training methods do you guys employ?

I hit the gym and stay fit, but that's all gym lifts. Doesn't really translate to mountain lifts lol. I'm thinking of doing some local hikes come spring with rocks in the pack to simulate a pack out. Get the knees used to controlling the weight on the descent.

What does everyone else do?
    I hand fall trees for a yarder, when I'm not hunting, so I basically get paid to stay in shape for hunting season. Haha.
    That said, I still hike till it hurts on a backpack hunt. The biggest difference I've found to being in/out of shape is way less recovery time when taking breaks during ascents and going to bed dog tired/fatigued, but not waking up stiff, sore, chaffed and blistered. Hard work is still hard work, but quicker body recovery allows you to push further, climb higher and enjoy the whole experience that much more.

Lets bump this before the sheep convention. I'm headed on my first Stone Sheep hunt this August with a fellow HBC member and am currently going though my gear list. We will share a spotting scope, tripod, and stove/fuel.
    Any of you guys/gals dehydrate your own food? I'm kinda sick of mountain house and looking for other options.
    I will be in Kamloops for the WSSBC convention so shoot me a pm if you care to. I'd love to chat about anything sheep or hunting/conservation related!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

I don't take those Mountain house or other commercial foods because they are to salty and have no nutritional value.There is lots of options but they involve a little work. For supper I make jerky and then put that in Knorr soups with extra whole wheat noodles. For breakfast try homemade granola with dried berries hemp seeds and protein powder and coffee. Make your own trail mix when the nuts are on sale. For lunch I take those small Hovis type breads with cheese and meat. After reading about preparing your own meals I will be trying that. The Journal of mountain Hunting is really pushing those Heathers choice meals and her articles are very good.

Lots of things in the grocery store to test before the season, that are cheap and more nutritious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosey View Post
    I don't take those Mountain house or other commercial foods because they are to salty and have no nutritional value.There is lots of options but they involve a little work. For supper I make jerky and then put that in Knorr soups with extra whole wheat noodles. For breakfast try homemade granola with dried berries hemp seeds and protein powder and coffee. Make your own trail mix when the nuts are on sale. For lunch I take those small Hovis type breads with cheese and meat. After reading about preparing your own meals I will be trying that. The Journal of mountain Hunting is really pushing those Heathers choice meals and her articles are very good.

Lots of things in the grocery store to test before the season, that are cheap and more nutritious.
    i looked at the at Heathers Choice meals as well, although they look like a better option than the MH they are not cheap. I picked up "Recipes for Adventure" for $25 online. It shows how to dehydrate all foods and comes with a ton of recipes which include caloric intake. By custom making your own meals you can create your own nutritional values and eat what ever you want, just need a dehydrator and they are pretty cheap to buy at Walmart/Canadian tire. I am making Potato bark this morning.

Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost