Page 57 of 79 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbranch View Post
    I'm outta here in 9 days for 7 solo in the NWT. Just under 64# with a full load of water, just over 55 without it. I dropped a fair bit of food from last year and bagged everything by day to keep myself more organized and make spiking out easier. Switched up to the Outdoorsmans pack this year for the added features over the Kuiu: Bigger pockets, external frame, meat shelf, rifle notch. Extra goodies to stay with the cooler at the lake: extra MH, fry pan, onions, garlic, oil, salt, whiskey.
    Good lookin list. Gotta ask, I just spent the last week arguing with myself over a new sleep pad. Neoair xlite, 4.6 oz's?

Should lose a few pounds off the pack this year. Mainly playing packer/filmer so I'm leaving the rifle/bullets at home. Opting for the bow/arrows thing. It will be a bonus if I get something as fun is always the main goal.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Good lookin list. Gotta ask, I just spent the last week arguing with myself over a new sleep pad. Neoair xlite, 4.6 oz's?
    The only downside is its a bit crinkly. I really like it, big time space saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbranch View Post
    I'm outta here in 9 days for 7 solo in the NWT. Just under 64# with a full load of water, just over 55 without it. I dropped a fair bit of food from last year and bagged everything by day to keep myself more organized and make spiking out easier. Switched up to the Outdoorsmans pack this year for the added features over the Kuiu: Bigger pockets, external frame, meat shelf, rifle notch. Extra goodies to stay with the cooler at the lake: extra MH, fry pan, onions, garlic, oil, salt, whiskey.
    nice!… will you rob stakes and cortege from the tent supplies for your siltarp?

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Those jackets are sure warm for what they weigh, hard to beat that.
    Mountain Hardware Ghost whisperer...
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Wow, just spent too much of today going through this thread again..lol. Looked at the Kuiu 6000 a week ago but decided against it,price was right though at the time, looks like single stitching in places it shouldn't be. Really wanted the Barney but don't think it is what I need for a sheep pack i use once/twice a year for goat/sheep. the 107 is a great weekend pack but not the be all end all beyond that. Now looking at the MR or Stone Glacier, looked at the Kuiu icon pro 7200 as well but feel the other two may be a better venture. Kuiu is a couple hundred dollars cheaper on the sites but not hearing enough about them. Good time to bump this thread anyway! lol
    I'm currently using the kuiu ultra 6000, and I have to say I am not impressed with it at all, it's nice if your packing light but no matter how I pack that backpack with my gear etc in compression sacks etc, whatever is the heaviest in your pack will end up at the bottom! I'm switching to a barneys pack! Trying to save enough up to get one this year, but I have a badlands I'll use most of my hunts when I can for now.

What other higher end IF hunting packs have you tried? I have used a LOT of packs over 60 years and now have a Seek Outside Divide pack, too small for sheep hunts, but, fine for my geezer hiking hunts.

I find these SO packs simply amazing for LIGHT weight, strength and simple, functional design, they are, IMHO, bloody brilliant and the folks at SO are outstanding to deal with. They have a 6300-7300 cu. in. bag, detaches from an excellent packframe, bag accepts practical large pockets to increase total volume and it is what I would now buy for extended alpine uses.

Quality, is equal to my Bozeman-made Mystery Ranch, better than the two Kifaru packs I had and prices are quite decent.

I certainly would never argue with the choice of a Barney's rig, but, with years of use of that design originally by Camptrails, I found them somewhat awkward for much hunting, YMMV, of course.....heavier, too.

Anyway, maybe check out SO, I am sure impressed. HTH.
    Last edited by BgBlkDg; 07-19-2016 at 08:34 AM.

SSS don't worry there will be more than enough weight to add to your pack

Quote Originally Posted by calvin L View Post
    SSS don't worry there will be more than enough weight to add to your pack
    I was thinking the same thing plus throwing some in yours.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

BHB you and SSS have the barney bags . I hear they are very large and you don't feel any weight on your back at all .