Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Weighed the wifes pack tonight 38lb thats set up for 7days. Not including rifle. So going off that my pack would weigh abought the same though I am in a weight reduction spree at the moment so I exspect to lose at least 3lb hopefully 5lb. Lost half a pound today with a new stove and a ti pot.
    Looked at that list nobody needs half that stuff.
    I once did seven days in the pyrenees with 50L pack that didn't weigh more than 25lb.
    Buy decent gear and you can go light if your like me and have a bad back and crap knees you don't have a choice so you learn.
    Last edited by Everett; 03-25-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: grammer

Just a word of caution to the guys who are trying to get Uberlite packs. Don't skimp on the pack itself. Sure you can drop 5 lbs just by getting a lightweight expedition pack that can handle the weight going in, for example 50-60 lbs. BUT I wouldn't trust it to not tear apart going out heavy, you toss 120 lbs or more in one of those packs and you'll be dragging it across the ground by its ripped out shoulder straps and busted seams.

I'm going to do a little more experimenting with lighter packs in the future but only on short trips and I"ll have a spare pack back at the truck just incase things go south.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    You guys with dogs. What do you do when you spot animals? Do you tie the dog up? I have always wondered that.
    He comes along until the final stalk. Then I drop my pack and leash him to it. He learned quickly that whining was not acceptable behavior while left with the pack.
    Last edited by Kody94; 03-25-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by youngfellla View Post
    What do you guys recommend for a dog pack?
    Best dog pack ever made was by DogStuf out of Alberta. Unfortunately they don't exist anymore.

I've checked out the Wilderness Wanderer dog packs, and although I don't like them as much as the DogStuf, the appear to be the next best thing.

"If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

sfire436 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    SSSSter is right. I got my pack down to about 46 pounds and then I got this guy.

The picture was taken when he was 5-6 months old. He is a just over a year now and the bags wont hang that low now (StoneSheepSteve and BC Rams saw him this weekend and said I should get him a saddle).

So my pack for the upcoming sheep season should be about 25 pounds

BHB
    Is he strong enough to carry a cooler too??

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSter View Post
    Best dog pack ever made was by DogStuf out of Alberta. Unfortunately they don't exist anymore.

I've checked out the Wilderness Wanderer dog packs, and although I don't like them as much as the DogStuf, the appear to be the next best thing.

Great picture.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

hopefully you are heading down...

very nice photo. the kind you probably look at often.

I weigh 150 to 155 and try to pack 50 to 55lb complete with gun or bow with out water. Early season seems 50lb late season with extra clothes and more food 60+ happens more often than I would like but o well price of comfort. I definatly recoment poles I use one and the biggest advantage to me is I never have to look at my feet to see where Iam going. This make a huge differance less likly to bump game acidentaly when you come huffing around that corner on the mountian. Down hill loaded also they work magic. I only use one seems to me that two just get in the way. I rigged up a camera mount on my hiking pole( video of digital) Works awsome for the group photos and for steadier movie footage even on the move. The fist thing that goes in my pack is my petzel headlamp. To many of my sheep kills end the same way heavy pack and walking on sh-ty trail back to camp in the dark.

Had to resurrect this thread, curious what other guys pack weights are down to.
    Also, what capacity pack are most guys taking in for sheep?
    Make Your Own Luck

Had to resurrect this thread, curious what other guys pack weights are down to. Also, what capacity pack are most guys taking in for sheep?
    My pack weight hovers around 58lbs with 8 days food and my rifle. With a few more upgrades/downgrades whichever way you look at it, I could probably get it down to around the 50 lb mark.

Smaller Spotter
    No Tripod (use rocks or pack, but it sucks!)
    Bivy instead of tent
    NeoAir instead of Exped Downmat
    1 less pair socks
    SPOT II instead of I
    2AA headlamp instead of 3AA headlamp
    Less Snacks
    Only take 1 pair of pants (+ rain pants)

Just a few ways I could lighten up the load.

For pack size it all depends on what you're doing and where you are going. If you're headed out for 8-12 days then you'd want at the very least a 100+ liter (6500 is 107 liter) or bigger would be my opinion, you need room left over to bring a ram out.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!