Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

You guys with dogs. What do you do when you spot animals? Do you tie the dog up? I have always wondered that.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    You guys with dogs. What do you do when you spot animals? Do you tie the dog up? I have always wondered that.
    The dog comes along - if she didn't she'd probably whine. Once she knows you're into hunting mode she'll get right down and belly crawl beside you.

Everybody likes to see the first shot.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by youngfellla View Post
    What do you guys recommend for a dog pack?
    I think the Wilderness Wanderer is what BHB has and is probably the way to go.

He stole it off some old guy from the Kootenays.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I said I would TRY and get my pack to 40lbs, didn't say it was possible. I loaded it up last night and I think I can get it somewhat close. Probable gonna be more like 46-48 without pea shooter.

Hey Dale, if you make sub 50lbs post a gear list, I'd love to find a few more areas to shave my weight, plus we might be able to help you drop a few more. Hey even Carls great list has about 5lbs that could be dropped if he so desired....

Quote Originally Posted by youngfellla View Post
    What do you guys recommend for a dog pack?

My pack is a Wilderness wanderer pack. I have only used it around the neighborhood so no real use yet. But the Guy I bought it from used it and you cant even tell other then a little dust.

When I started looking for dog packs I hit all the pet shops and all I found was these packs that were made to carry a lunch and a bottle of water to a picnic or beach and they wanted close to $80 for them.

Once you see the dog packs from Wilderness wanderer you will laugh at what the pet shops carry. The bags are more then twice the size and about 10 times stronger. They are made of strong cordura and the bottoms are made of a sort of rubberized cordura. When i washed them out they literally hold water for some time before it slowly starts leaking out the seams. Each bag also zips off so you load it first then zip it onto the sort of saddle.

The one thing is the price, for the large set its close to $200 but well worth it if you want to use them more then lunch and a snack at the beach.

BHB

i havent been able to drop below 55 lbs with my pack for a 7-8 day hunt [thats with a buddy along to share items to carry tent stove rangefinder etc]
    i thought i was wrong once then i realized i was just mistaken

i should come real close to 50 lbs my wife will be at around 45lbs. both packs loaded with gun shells video equipment once i get it all freezed deied food ill post a complete weight of both packs loaded with list for a 8-10 day hunt

I am impressed with some of the pack weights being posted here! With my hip and back currently giving me pains I really need to get below 60 lbs this year. Shouldn't be a problem . . . just have to leave the oranges and grapefruits back at the truck. It would be tough leaving behind the pepper salami and cheese!

Onto poles - two poles are a must for me. I've tried a few different varieties (ski and trekking) and last season MEC replaced my previous set with what they said are their toughest pole. They are the Black Diamond Contour Eliptical carbon fibre pole. Cost a few bucks at $108 but to me well worth it. They have proven themselves so far and I use them for most outings including casual hiking - some of us have to nurse old injuries and need all the assistance we can get!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Carbon Fibre ? for the back-country ? MEC conspiracy.
    Do not abuse these, do not scrape or scratch, weak points will explode.
    Although, at $108, content may be low enough to be forgiving.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole