Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

what about walkin sticks any one useing them

what about walkin sticks any one useing them
    Yes, mentioned in my list... I used to take just one, then tried taking two and will likely always take two now. I do all my training without, so it's like a "treat" when we actually go and they make a major difference in keeping my knee problem in check, especially coming downhill, quite helpful in stream crossings and tricky spots with the extra points to leverage with.

I just use cheap $15.00 "Chinook" hiking poles. They work fine. If you're doing a lot of walking some thin fleece gloves or something similar will prevent your hand from getting blisters.

Carl

After watching BCbillies use a pair of poles I started a couple of years ago using an old ski pole. It really does help stabile you on uneven ground and actually helps you power up a slope easier than without one. At some point I will get a real collapsable walking stick that you can put in your pack sometimes the one piece ski pole can be annoying.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

Great list Carl. What kind of pack and tent are you using?
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

I have mine to 55 pounds, I could shave maybe a couple pounds of of that, but 2 or 3 pounds at that point was not going to kill me.
    Hiking poles are Great, I don't think I will hunt without them, they sure help to take a load off your legs, stabilize assents and descents, work great for setting up a sil tarp shelter and with a little neoprene/Velcro rod wrap around one of them they can quickly be attached together to make a very good and stable bipod
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

Great list Carl. What kind of pack and tent are you using?
    Thanks Dave, the pack is a Lowe Alpine 90 liter expedition pack (internal frame) and the tent is an Integral Designs MKIII... I could shed weight with a different tent. The pack has held up really well through a lot of thick nasty shit. I carry a spare waist belt buckle as well as some misc buckles in case anything breaks.

Carl

For anyone wanting a 40 lb pack, excluding rifle, for an 8 to 10 day trip I have only two words: pack dog(s)
    Otherwise, 50 to 55 lbs (excluding rifle) is a lot more realistic.

My pack for 8 to 10 days of backpacking in the summer is about 45lbs. The hunting gear you need to add to that for a northern sheep trip is considerable (wool clothes, spotter, tripod, ammo, salt for capes, etc, etc).
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSter View Post
    For anyone wanting a 40 lb pack, excluding rifle, for an 8 to 10 day trip I have only two words: pack dog(s)
    Otherwise, 50 to 55 lbs (excluding rifle) is a lot more realistic.

My pack for 8 to 10 days of backpacking in the summer is about 45lbs. The hunting gear you need to add to that for a northern sheep trip is considerable (wool clothes, spotter, tripod, ammo, salt for capes, etc, etc).
    SSSSter is right. I got my pack down to about 46 pounds and then I got this guy.

The picture was taken when he was 5-6 months old. He is a just over a year now and the bags wont hang that low now (StoneSheepSteve and BC Rams saw him this weekend and said I should get him a saddle).

So my pack for the upcoming sheep season should be about 25 pounds

BHB

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    SSSSter is right. I got my pack down to about 46 pounds and then I got this guy.

The picture was taken when he was 5-6 months old. He is a just over a year now and the bags wont hang that low now (StoneSheepSteve and BC Rams saw him this weekend and said I should get him a saddle).

So my pack for the upcoming sheep season should be about 25 pounds

BHB
    Nice pack!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Pack and walking sticks. Depends on how warm the weather is and how many people are going. Steaks, eggs, bacon can all add up in a hurry. Also got to bring lots of extra clothes in October. I wonder if Steadygirl recognizes the rocks in this picture?

Pack Dog - pack is small only carries probably 10 lbs but it helps.

Tired Pack Dog
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela