Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Here is another light weight list that a reader left as feedback on my list that is published on my website. He estimated his pack out to be 140lbs.

Good list Carl
    Someone should put a list together for the solo hunter … pack weight becomes more important then. It would be interesting to see the what items become nessessary vs are brought for comfort and “what if” scenerios. With meat, cape (live) , and horms I exstimated my pack weight was 140lbs plus which is probably the maximum the average person can carrry out of the mountains for 10+ km’s.I will take a shot at the solo list but dont have any specific weights.
    1.External lPack
    2.sleeping bag
    3.Blue Foamy ( cut to 5ft)
    4. Bivi bag
    5.Siltarp II (no tent pegs or walking stick just use string tied to rocks over top of pack, will hold in the most windy conditions on top of ridges))
    6.Binos
    7.spotting scope ( no tri-pod, use pack and lay on the ground in the prone position)
    8. rifle and 20 rounds (no sling, rifle should be in your hands at all times)
    9.1 – 3″ knife
    10.3 razor blades
    11.pop bottle of fine salt
    12.30ft para cord
    13.Garbage (for everthing you want to keep dry)
    14. 2 litre pop bottle of water
    15.1/2 roll toilet paper
    16.1 pillow case for meat
    17.1 bic lighter and 1 cube of fire starter ( if camped on ridge then no wood anyways)
    18. Mini DV spy cam ( new..with 4 GB can take 2 hrs video or 5000 pictures.. looks like a key chain)
    19.3 bandages (no other safety gear required….just wacth your step. No GPS , SPOT , SAT phones, first air kit, or flash lights neccessary)
    20. map and compass (even this is optional- with such larges drainages it is difficult to get lost)
    21. light weight saw ( This saw can stay as use can use a knife to remove skull from vertabrae)
    22. CLOTHING: wool base layer, wool sweater, Mid weight fleece, mid weight wool pants, light wool long under wear, rain gear with hood), 1 spair heavy wool socks, soccer shorts (ultra light and dry’s quickly), wool balaclava or toque, wool mitts.
    23. 2 litre pop bottle (for water)
    24. DRY Food (No cooking) – 8 -10 lbs of what every keeps you fed and energy up. ( No cooking allows to save on bulk and weight of stove, fuel, water, and utencils
    26. No other misc items required.
    The goal is to keep pack between 45lbs and 55lbs. By the time the sheep is taken a person should be less 10lbs of food, water, ammo….so 45lbs pack plus meat , shoulder cape ,and horns adding up to be 120 to 140lbs and in one trip… thats the goal. I know i left several things off the list compared to your list but i feel quite comfortable with what i have for 7 or 8 day hunt in August to late September. For others who dont spend much time hunting by them selves and over nighting in places where they have never been before items such flashlites, GPS, First aid kit and SPOT should be brought.
    For a person to make 1 trip back to the truck some items have to be sacrificed and risks taken thats just the nature of solo hunting.
    good work on all the blogs, I am sure many people appreciate it.
    cheers
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I find it amusing how guys cant just read what others do and NOT comment when they dont agree with it.
    Why not post what you pack to help the guys looking for lists and let your post be your arguement instead of pressing the point and adding pages of b.s for other guys to sort through....
    Dont forget chapstick
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Check out Jetboil. you'll save a pound and it won't break the bank at about $100. Sucks for actually cooking though, but it's great for just boiling water.

Carl
    Hi Carl, Jetboil is what I am considering. Seems reasonable and efficient, all reviews I've read so far were positive.

Of course I still have to add my bino's, spotter and tripod...

So maybe 55 pounds plus clothing, I guess I'd better be getting usedto wearing thongs...

I find it amusing how guys cant just read what others do and NOT comment when they dont agree with it.
    agreed, and spare the lecture of how much more hardcore they are than you or anybody else.

So maybe 55 pounds plus clothing, I guess I'd better be getting usedto wearing thongs...
    haha... I wear some synthetic boxer briefs from MEC (I know, I know). They are $10 a pair and for me, work really well. Keep on top of the sweat "down there" or you'll be walking like a cowboy that's spent a few long days on the horse.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    agreed, and spare the lecture of how much more hardcore they are than you or anybody else.

haha... I wear some synthetic boxer briefs from MEC (I know, I know). They are $10 a pair and for me, work really well. Keep on top of the sweat "down there" or you'll be walking like a cowboy that's spent a few long days on the horse.

Carl

That brings up a good point, be sure to test ALL new gear and clothing that you buy a few times before taking in on a 10 day backpack hunt. You may find that something is defective, doesn't fit, leaks etc...

Quote Originally Posted by troutseeker View Post
    Hi Carl, Jetboil is what I am considering. Seems reasonable and efficient, all reviews I've read so far were positive.

Of course I still have to add my bino's, spotter and tripod...

Jetboil is a great setup. Pretty damn efficient!! Couple of other good stoves out there as well.

I use a Brunton Raptor. Weighs 5oz and a 450gm canister of fuel will last 14 days over for two people. In fact, I have yet to empty one. The large canister actually weighs 22.65 oz. I also made a windscreen out of a small household stove burner saver for the bottom ...and my old whisperlite windscreen for the sides.
    http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=299

With that stove I use a Snow Peak 900 Titanium pot...which doesn't break the bank. Large enough to boli water for two Mtn House Propacks.
    http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/bac...-scs-008t.html

If no wood is available you can fry sheep meat in the lid/frying pan combo. You can't do that with the jetboil....but really, how often does one kill a ram??

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    That brings up a good point, be sure to test ALL new gear and clothing that you buy a few times before taking in on a 10 day backpack hunt. You may find that something is defective, doesn't fit, leaks etc...
    That's very important, Maxx!

On my first ever Stone hunt my partner ordered a brand new two man bivy set up....just over 2 lbs. Was a great "minimalistic" setup.....until it rained. Bloody thing leaked like a seive and ruined out hunt. Try climbing out of soaking wet rain gear and climbing into a soaking wet sleeping bag.
    It ruined our trip and we bailed early.
    Lesson learned......the hard way.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I headed to work now but will put list with weight together tommorow.

I think you should spend the time to make a detailed list of every item you would be taking on your 7 day hunt, weigh them individually and then post the info here. You'll likely help a few people out.

Carl[/quote]

anyone ever try terra nova stuff?

buddy of mine has the laser 600 bag and the solar elite tent

the sleeping bag is 18 ounces and the tent is a pound and a half

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Why not post what you pack to help the guys looking for lists and let your post be your arguement instead of pressing the point and adding pages of b.s for other guys to sort through....
    Dont forget chapstick
    I like those posts...I really want to know WHY someone feels their system or packing list is better than mine. My mind is open, and I'll change my list in a heartbeat if someone else has addressed an issue better than me.

I am not a fan of the implication that I am not as mentally tough because I like hot chocolate though. Its a good thing I am just physically tougher. lol
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss