Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Heavy packs 50lb + will cause serious strain to the average persons body throw in rough terain bad weather and your an accident waiting to happen. Some of you guys are serious mountain hunters and have a system that works for you. But the majority of the people reading this thread for advice are going to be new to multi day expeditions.
    Most of us on here are "training" with these pack weights and 65lbs isn't unreasonable for a grown man to carry, especially if you've prepared yourself for it.

We also don't run around with 65lbs on our backs everywhere we go. Sometimes we'll haul to a base camp, and day hike out with empty packs.

Sometimes you have to pick up and move camp to another place, that's fine too.

I am not specificly attacking your packing it was just and easy accesible list to use to make my point.
    I think you should spend the time to make a detailed list of every item you would be taking on your 7 day hunt, weigh them individually and then post the info here. You'll likely help a few people out.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    We can try and ram our opinions on gear etc... down peoples throats or we can offer up what works for us. I try and offer up what works for me.

Carl

I second that.

I offer up what has proven to work really well for us on successful 2 week sheep hunts between my partners and I as well as other friends who are as hardcore as anything. I advocate some equipment such as the Barney because I've used it for over 6 years and am quite qualified to speak on its merrits having put it through everything you can imagine. Its the same as kootenayelkslayer speaking on behalf of the Cabelas with extreme use guiding without fail. As is the same with your use of the MR pack the last couple years (we need to get an animal in your MR 15 miles back and 2 mountains over for the final installment on your field test opinion under actual conditions as its a different ball game compared to loading up to that weight on training hikes versus having that weight after a week of hard hunting in the mountains and thats something I also know .... that is what people want to hear!! )

Success does not mean an animal down (thats a bonus). Success is being able to comfortably spend the entire duration of the hunt under some of the most adverse weather conditions and often tough hunting conditions day after day with confidence in the equipment we are using from start to finish and obviously its been clear we all have a system that works and every individual will make up their minds what will work for themselves!!

Find it humourous you'll try to shave ounces on some gear but happily pack 2-3 pounds of salt But that just illustrates to people, you're willing to pack that much salt as does DD whereas I will take what has proven to be just the right amount knowing I have plenty for when i get out. Some people will see that you pack 2-3 pounds salt and decide thats what they'll take and others will see how much I take and go, hell thats 2 lbs less in my pack. Each to their own.

Great posts and feedback from all who contributed here.
    Last edited by BCrams; 01-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.

I think that these lists are incredibly helpful to a lot of guys that are contemplating heading out on their first backpack hunts.

We encountered guys this last August 6 or 7km back in that had no concept of what they should or shouldn't be packing to help add to their enjoyment. A Frying pan, and mid sized gerber axe complete with big plastic sheaths were hanging off the back of one pack. The other guy had a pair of pots hanging down from his pack. He may have had a sink with him too....Both guys had (IIRC) bags they were carrying in their hands. Might of only been one guy. Regardless, carrying something in your hands....wow....

Neither guy was enjoying life very much at that point. And they'd indicated they were going to do a through hike of around 70km.....They could of used ANY of these lists and been MUCH better off as to having an idea of what should be carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Easy to ween off that stuff before you go. I do it every year. Always good to know that a person can get away from any addiction....except sheep hunting.

SSS
    Sure, a guy CAN wean off of it, but why?.......grin

That is one luxury that I won't give up in the morning.

It doesn't get any better than this baby......

Ok Carl what works for me is the lightest pack I can get away with. The reason behind this are bad back and worn out knees. If I want to be happy I carry a light pack.
    Thats where hunt area and hunt style would work in your favour. An example of this would be to base camping off the highway and making one or 2 night forays off the highway into different drainages with a very light load.

Heavy packs 50lb + will cause serious strain to the average persons body throw in rough terain bad weather and your an accident waiting to happen.
    65 lbs is pretty easy to hike with if you condition your body for it and prepare properly

A 20 lb day pack will just about kill anyone if they didn't prepare for hiking in the mountains too and if they don't know how to confidently deal with the elements such as sudden mountain weather changes......major accident waiting to happen

Some of you guys are serious mountain hunters and have a system that works for you. But the majority of the people reading this thread for advice are going to be new to multi day expeditions.
    Thats why the 'new' guys should heed the advice of those who have done a lot of mountain hunts and spent a lot of time in the mountains.

Odds are are not going to enjoying life with a 65lb pack on there back. The luxury items tend to lose signifigance when your out gas at 11am because your hauling to much weight.
    At 65 lbs - I don't think I have much for luxury. I have what is needed to survive comfortably and have a safe hunt. If new guys would heed some of the advice from experienced guys pertaining to training and being conditioned ... all the better for a 'safe' and enjoyable trip.
    Last edited by BCrams; 01-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Devilbear Guest

This has become the single best thread I have ever read on HBC and among the top half dozen anywhere. I enjoy the interaction of experienced guys and the queries from novices and the genuine courtesy and respect shown to other posters by all here.....this is the way it should be and we can all learn from each other.

BUT,NOW I am getting a "jones" for a Barney's Pinnacle and that is one expense I really don't need at this time!

I will be posting a couple of lists and some suggestions as to where to find good, used , inexpensive gear to start out with; there is lots of "preowned" stuff out there and one can often save a lot if you know what to look for or can ask someone who does.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Find it humourous you'll try to shave ounces on some gear but happily pack 2-3 pounds of salt But that just illustrates to people, you're willing to pack that much salt as does DD whereas I will take what has proven to be just the right amount knowing I have plenty for when i get out. Some people will see that you pack 2-3 pounds salt and decide thats what they'll take and others will see how much I take and go, hell thats 2 lbs less in my pack. Each to their own.
    I remember reading a post a few years back on another site where this guy went on and one about the lightest this and the lightest that, that he had bought and he also cut tags off all his cloths to shave weight, then he goes to talk about his food and he packs canned foods plus a full salami and a 2lb block of cheese. Probably one of Deaddogs hunting partners.

Like others have said pack what you want, these are just reccomendations.

I cant beleive no ones mentioned the Window mount spotter. Oh wait thats my sheep hunting in the south
    Last edited by bighornbob; 01-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    BUT,NOW I am getting a "jones" for a Barney's Pinnacle and that is one expense I really don't need at this time!
    Its a massive bag!! When I saw it after my in law bought it, I was like holy sh$t. A bit much for me personally but you'd have a tonne of 'space' you just won't fill up.

I didn't like the fact there was no compartment inside. Meaning when away from base camp for the day and coming back with a ram. My weight was above the shelf and comfortable whereas his weight was right at the bottom by the ass. Thats the downside to that pack. Its like a moose bag only bigger.

I am aiming for a 65 pound pack heading in. I have some newer gear and some older, and can't upgrade to all fancy lightweight equipment because of the money required, lol.

So my tent will likely be my old Marmot Peapod, it's been reliable. My sleeping bag weighs just under 4 pounds and I have an Exped Synmat (cause I side sleep and had shoulder operations). That plus my siltarp brings my sleeping/shelter system to around 12 pounds. Add my MR6500 and I am over 20 pounds.

Food for 10 days @ 15 pounds and stove and gas @ 3 pounds (may upgrade that).

Rifle and ammo (in case I need it) @ 8 pounds.

So I am around 46 pounds and still need to add clothing, GPS, Spot, compass and maps, salt, and all the stuff that I'll need to live comfortably

Food for 10 days @ 15 pounds and stove and gas @ 3 pounds (may upgrade that).
    Check out Jetboil. you'll save a pound and it won't break the bank at about $100. Sucks for actually cooking though, but it's great for just boiling water.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!