Page 22 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    That depends.......How long you plan on living????

Have a couple of kids and your half-life changes logarithmically.

SSS
    Never had plans to live much past 30, looks like that plan will have to be re-visited.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

[quote=troutseeker;826796][quote=BCrams;826791]You should be fine! My dad undertook his first ram when he was 59 years old and many are older out there hunting sheep!!

Yes, SSS made sure to tell me about your dad when we met for a Timmy's. I think he was trying to make me feel better about my choice to hunt sheep! He is very considerate...

I just plan on being as prepared as I can, hike into the mountains, hunt sheep and hike back out. Sounds pretty simple!
    There's a saying for this. You're only as old as the girl you feel........
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Has anyone tried the Exped sleeping bags or have any info on them.

After reading ALL of these posts on this thread I googled Barney Backpacks and this was first site on the list. Economical and attractive, are these the packs you guys are using?

barney.tystoybox.com/ttc/Backpacks/cPath/10465.html

JP

Ok I tried to be a listner only this round but oh well here is my two bits.

Tent 4lb max for two people
    salt nobody needs more than 1lb
    siltarp if you have a tent fly not required
    socks three max
    tripod 1lb

Well that just saved you 6lb get a new bag and therma rest neo air and your down 8lb.
    Wow that was easy little extra time and you will be down 10lb

I am not much of a sheep hunter but I have alot of time living with a pack on my back actualy thousands of days so I have learnt you don't want extra weight if you want to be happy.
    Wife and I are headed stone/caribou hunting this year I will garuntee our packs will be 40lb our less for 7 days and to be honest will probaly just go with our crew cabs and leave the big bags at home. We do have the advantage of pack dogs though for the way out if luck shines.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    What are you guys eating? sawdust? Last year my snack bag alone was like 6lbs of goodness, that doesn't count my mountain house. I want to be down around the 50lb pack weight. With my MR or Barney starting at say 10lbs, that leaves 40lbs for gear and food.

- sleeping setup = 3.5lbs approx. bag/mat/ and a little down pillow
    - tent = 6lbs approx.
    - gun/shells = 7.5lbs approx.
    - salt = 2-3lbs approx.
    - siltarp II = 1lb approx.
    - stove & fuel = 1lb approx.
    - Mtn House = 5lbs approx for 8 days.
    - Snacks = 6lbs approx for 8 days.
    - 5 pair thorlos = 1lb approx.
    - clothes = 2lbs approx.
    - rain pants + jacket = 1lb approx.
    - manfrotto tripod = 2lb approx.
    - zeiss 20x60 spotter = 3.5lbs approx.

That's already going over 50lbs including pack. There is lots of items still missing such as GPS, Headlamp, Firstaid, SPOT, gloves camera, rope...

Bivys seem the way to go to shed some pack weight, but I can't see myself going that route. Sleeping Bags are another area, with the current down bags being so small and the waterproof/breathables on the market, they are also a good choice for weight/space savings.

I have heard good things about the Cabelas packs too.

Carl

Devilbear Guest

What mountain tent that is truely reliable in alpine storms and is comfortable for two weighs 4 lbs. or less? I had an Early Winters Light Dimension, the very first recreational Gore-Tex product ever built and used it all over BC very extensively in all seasons; it weighed about 4 lbs and my wife and I could sleep in it, but, it was awful dam cramped.

That kind of tent is fine for young wife-husband couples in summer for a couple nights, but, I have found that a two man tent per person is pretty much necessary in bad weather and remote areas for any multi-day trips.

I like the Integral Designs MKI-XL for the lightest stormproof tent for one on 4-14 day trips; it runs about 4.75 lbs. and is very comfortable, but, these must be imported from US dealers after being shipped from Calgary to them and they are pretty costly for younger, family guys with all the optics and crap you must have for sheep.

I have all kinds of bivy-tarp rigs, but, these get pretty "old" after the 2nd or 3rd night of high winds and pounding rain and the best alternative, IMO, is a really good two-man tent for two partners, the Hilleberg Allak, Jannu and the ID-MKIII, that Carl has are about as good as it gets...and require a second mortgage!

Being an "untall" guy, I use a Hilleberg Saivo, a fabulous expedition tent for my base camp and carry an ID Mega Sola, the most rugged and simple to deploy shelter I have ever had. This weighs 3 lbs. 9 oz. and is OK if you can handle the low ceiling and lack of room for a couple of nights. This total setup is a lot of coin, but, it is totally reliable in all weather and comfortable for longer trips by air or horse or river boat.
    Last edited by Devilbear; 01-07-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Tell that to someone who's a dedicated coffee drinker and they are three days into caffiene withdrawl.......
    Easy to ween off that stuff before you go. I do it every year. Always good to know that a person can get away from any addiction....except sheep hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    You should be fine! My dad undertook his first ram when he was 59 years old and many are older out there hunting sheep!!

SSS hit home a good point. If you can be physically ready with training, the mental toughness really gives you a boost in the mountains on a hunt. Its gotten to the point where staying in the mountains for 2 weeks is pretty easy because we're enjoying what sheep hunting is all about and being in the mountains. Always maintain a positive attitude no matter what the weather, terrain, or events throw at you...you just smile and keep hunting!!
    A new sheep hunter can't give themselves experience, can't control the weather. Don't let your fitness be your limiting factor. That's something you can control.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post

There's a saying for this. You're only as old as the girl you feel........
    So if I'm not allowed to feel anyone....will I live forever??

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    Ok I tried to be a listner only this round but oh well here is my two bits.

Tent 4lb max for two people
    salt nobody needs more than 1lb
    siltarp if you have a tent fly not required
    socks three max
    tripod 1lb

Well that just saved you 6lb get a new bag and therma rest neo air and your down 8lb.
    Wow that was easy little extra time and you will be down 10lb

I am not much of a sheep hunter but I have alot of time living with a pack on my back actualy thousands of days so I have learnt you don't want extra weight if you want to be happy.
    Wife and I are headed stone/caribou hunting this year I will garuntee our packs will be 40lb our less for 7 days and to be honest will probaly just go with our crew cabs and leave the big bags at home. We do have the advantage of pack dogs though for the way out if luck shines.
    So if you leave your tent/gear and bivy-out you would leave your tent/gear without a fly??

A Siltarp is one of those "comfort" things as guys survived without lightweight tarps for many, many years....but I'd say a Siltarp II is one of thee most valuable pieces of gear that I own. Also doubles as a water-gathering device...which can save you time and energy and keep you hunting more "effectively" and efficiently....which ultimately increases your odds of success.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

So if you leave your tent/gear and bivy-out you would leave your tent/gear without a fly??
    I think he said leave the fly use the siltarp? or if you have a tent fly, you don't need the siltarp. I dunno....

It's clear nobodys pack list is perfect for everyones use. I'll carry my 5 pair of socks and my 2-3lbs of salt for MY sheep cape, happily.

I checked out the Neoair a while ago and while it's lighter I don't see what the big deal is... It's got very little insulation value (2.5R), and is not even close to the level of comfort I currently have. An upgrade in the weight dept for sure but a major downgrade in comfort. Most of the time, we are camped on rocks somewhere.

We can try and ram our opinions on gear etc... down peoples throats or we can offer up what works for us. I try and offer up what works for me.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

my pack is never under 70lbs, always have coffee, I sleep on my extra clothes, no thermarest, bring at least 26 ounces of "medicine', tent is almost 9 lbs and sleeps three guys, rifle is an old 30-06 savage that I got when I was 18 for graduation, weights a lot!! usually have 3-5 lbs of salt, always have a sil tarp that stays with me, usually four to five packs of colts to boot, lighter fluid etc..... as Carl says " I try and offer up what works for me" DD

Ok Carl what works for me is the lightest pack I can get away with. The reason behind this are bad back and worn out knees. If I want to be happy I carry a light pack.
    Heavy packs 50lb + will cause serious strain to the average persons body throw in rough terain bad weather and your an accident waiting to happen. Some of you guys are serious mountain hunters and have a system that works for you. But the majority of the people reading this thread for advice are going to be new to multi day expeditions. Odds are are not going to enjoying life with a 65lb pack on there back. The luxury items tend to lose signifigance when your out gas at 11am because your hauling to much weight.
    I am not specificly attacking your packing it was just and easy accesible list to use to make my point.