Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Or one could just decide wether they want to pack 1, 2 or 3 lbs of salt. If an hour into your hike you think it's too heavy you've got some ballast you can dump and then you can even hunt over your bait.

Carl
    Ballast indeed

Just a perspective on how much salt is really required from experience. The way you pack your pack with ultralight gear and trying to shave ounces, I would think this is one hell of a weight savings you would jump on.

The amount salt to pack was passed onto me 10 years ago by one who has way more sheep experience than most of us combined. I was skeptical but reassured it was plenty on a 2 week hunt with the bulk of salt waiting at the lake / truck.

Buy one of these, do some baking and fill it with salt and seal it with electric tape and you're good.

[
    Last edited by BCrams; 01-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Rams,

Just to be sure, does your 65 lbs include your rifle?

I would also be hungry on your rations, although mine aren't a whole lot bigger. I usually have a couple energy gels, and some GORP. Every other day I like to have some oatmeal for breakfast instead of a bar, and my "luxury item" is coffee packets and hot chocolate.

Pro-packs are plenty big for me.

My rule of thumb is 1.5 lbs of food per day for short hunts, and 2 lbs per day on long hunts. Wish it was the other way around, but I think we all agree that the massive calorie deficit does catch up to you after a while.

I pack a lot of socks like Carl.

I've probably been over-doing the salt....usually 2 lbs or so. I prefer to cache it (and some extra goodies) somewhere if I am not doing a "through-hunt" though.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

last year in the summer we hiked up were we go stoneing in the late summer and pack as much food and water as we can. we also dropped off socks..salt..and some other gear... and placed it in pre determined spots. when it came to go hunting all we had to pack was pretty much our guns optics a few extra clothes our bivys i think last year for a 7 day hunt when i left the truck my pack was around 35 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    [
    I estimate that would weigh a smidge over 1lb, when filled with salt. Sound right?
    - Dr. Seuss

I think I would starve to death on BCRams rations! I don't mind packing the extra weight if it means I'm not constantly hungry.

68 lbs on dock all in this year

I would also be hungry on your rations, although mine aren't a whole lot bigger. I usually have a couple energy gels, and some GORP. Every other day I like to have some oatmeal for breakfast instead of a bar, and my "luxury item" is coffee packets and hot chocolate.
    Coffee is a dieretic (sp??) meaning not great if you want to maintain water in your body. (I love coffee though) Hot gatorade every 2nd day or after a cold day works for me.

Looking at the 2 pack porridge weight vs the lightweight protein bar for breakfast ... a little less weight but the bar content was more beneficial over oatmeal (trying to maximize this aspect on a long trip).

Wish it was the other way around, but I think we all agree that the massive calorie deficit does catch up to you after a while.
    It does!! Hence why I wouldn't hesitate to trade up half propacks for regular packs for those long 2 week hunts. Under 10 days and I'll stick with all propack.

Quote Originally Posted by tankster View Post
    last year in the summer we hiked up were we go stoneing in the late summer and pack as much food and water as we can. we also dropped off socks..salt..and some other gear... and placed it in pre determined spots. when it came to go hunting all we had to pack was pretty much our guns optics a few extra clothes our bivys i think last year for a 7 day hunt when i left the truck my pack was around 35 pounds
    35 pounds is damn light. You must just be packing the bare minimums eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Coffee is a dieretic (sp??) meaning not great if you want to maintain water in your body. (I love coffee though) Hot gatorade every 2nd day or after a cold day works for me.
    I agree...I only have the coffee or tea if I feel the need for a warm drink AND have lots of water around. Keeping well hydrated is more important than calories, for lots of reasons.

Looking at the 2 pack porridge weight vs the lightweight protein bar for breakfast ... a little less weight but the bar content was more beneficial over oatmeal (trying to maximize this aspect on a long trip).
    The bar definitely offers more nutrition. But a warm breakfast sometimes helps beat a wet, snowy or socked in morning...especially if you end up tent-bound.
    - Dr. Seuss

Oatmeal really doesn't give you anything. One thing to consider is dehydrating some eggs and bacon. Costco actually sells (or used to) dehydrated bacon.

Just add water.

Works great.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Oatmeal really doesn't give you anything. One thing to consider is dehydrating some eggs and bacon. Costco actually sells (or used to) dehydrated bacon.

Just add water.

Works great.
    I would seriously try that as a treat for a couple mornings.