Page 18 of 79 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

This is still going on? C'mon guys agree to disagree, both packs have their good and bad points and whoever prefers one will never agree with whoever likes the other one...

The original question was about sheep pack weight, I think? Not about weight and resiliency of duct tape or metal conduit?

It seems official that the hunting season is over and that we are getting some withdrawal symptoms on the site...

I simply refuse to hold the ruler for this pecker measuring contest!

Quote Originally Posted by troutseeker View Post
    The original question was about sheep pack weight, I think?

With any pack on the market the hunter chooses to use.

A hunter is doing really well if his pack weight for a 14-16 day hunt is 65 lbs give or take a few either way. Thats my weight.

If you're going for 1 week (i.e., 5-10 days) - 45-55 lbs range will fit nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Very true.....I've seen and communicated with guides from Alaska where the Barney is used for 3 seasons or more guiding and the packs were still holding their own with all that use from guiding / packing sheep early season to packing caribou / moose later.
    Same with the Cabela's

A hunter is doing really well if his pack weight for a 14-16 day hunt is 65 lbs give or take a few either way. Thats my weight. If you're going for 1 week (i.e., 5-10 days) - 45-55 lbs range will fit nicely.
    What are you guys eating? sawdust? Last year my snack bag alone was like 6lbs of goodness, that doesn't count my mountain house. I want to be down around the 50lb pack weight. With my MR or Barney starting at say 10lbs, that leaves 40lbs for gear and food.

- sleeping setup = 3.5lbs approx. bag/mat/ and a little down pillow
    - tent = 6lbs approx.
    - gun/shells = 7.5lbs approx.
    - salt = 2-3lbs approx.
    - siltarp II = 1lb approx.
    - stove & fuel = 1lb approx.
    - Mtn House = 5lbs approx for 8 days.
    - Snacks = 6lbs approx for 8 days.
    - 5 pair thorlos = 1lb approx.
    - clothes = 2lbs approx.
    - rain pants + jacket = 1lb approx.
    - manfrotto tripod = 2lb approx.
    - zeiss 20x60 spotter = 3.5lbs approx.

That's already going over 50lbs including pack. There is lots of items still missing such as GPS, Headlamp, Firstaid, SPOT, gloves camera, rope...

Bivys seem the way to go to shed some pack weight, but I can't see myself going that route. Sleeping Bags are another area, with the current down bags being so small and the waterproof/breathables on the market, they are also a good choice for weight/space savings.

Same with the Cabela's
    I have heard good things about the Cabelas packs too.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Carl,

I'm sure you can shave more off your weight. Weights are all loaded at the float plane docks on the digital scales. Packed 65 lb range for the last 5 years for 14 day hunts.

Here's a quick run down off the top of my head compared to yours and every ounce counts as some of us like to put it:

What are you guys eating? sawdust?
    Actually we eat well. Its a simple menu.

1 Mountain House Pro-Pack per day each.
    1 very lightweight energy bar (forgot the name) for breakfast per day
    1 protien bar per day
    1 jerky strip / day
    4-6 hard candy pieces / day
    Sometimes throw a luxury couple handfulls of mnm's to distribute over the hunt.

- sleeping setup = 3.5lbs approx. bag/mat/ and a little down pillow
    I don't pack a pillow

- tent = 6lbs approx.
    Mines 4.5 lbs.

- gun/shells = 7.5lbs approx.
    Only pack 10 shells plus 3 in gun.

- salt = 2-3lbs approx.
    To be honest, you pack too much salt. I packed that much on my first sheep hunt years ago but a very well known sheep hunter from the Kootenays said the same thing to me. You and your partners only need to pack enough to fill one of those plastic baking soda cans each. Its enough to treat the cape until you get out to the truck where you can lay out all the salt you want on it. Have had a cape last 12 days with no problem with careful care.

- siltarp II = 1lb approx.
    Ditto.

- stove & fuel = 1lb approx.
    Ditto

- Mtn House = 5lbs approx for 8 days.
    Pro pak or 2 person? We use pro paks.

- 5 pair thorlos = 1lb approx.
    I pack 3 pairs. One on feet and 2 in pack.

- manfrotto tripod = 2lb approx.
    - zeiss 20x60 spotter = 3.5lbs approx.
    Slik compact with Leupy

That's already going over 50lbs including pack. There is lots of items still missing such as GPS, Headlamp, Firstaid, SPOT, gloves camera, rope...
    I recal you packed spare batteries. I don't. Fresh batteries will work the entire duration of a hunt for all units. I know SSS will remind me that I forgot to change batteries 2 yrs ago on one item but it didn't hurt though.

Sleeping Bags are another area, with the current down bags being so small and the waterproof/breathables on the market, they are also a good choice for weight/space savings.
    Can't wait for the sleeping bag portion to be upgraded for more weight loss.

1 Mountain House Pro-Pack per day each.
    1 very lightweight energy bar (forgot the name) for breakfast per day
    1 protien bar per day
    1 jerky strip / day
    4-6 hard candy pieces / day
    I would be hungry on your daily rations.

I don't pack a pillow
    It's as light as a feather, literally!

Only pack 10 shells plus 3 in gun.
    I have 3 in the clip and 9 in the shell holder.

To be honest, you pack too much salt. I packed that much on my first sheep hunt years ago but a very well known sheep hunter from the Kootenays said the same thing to me. You and your partners only need to pack enough to fill one of those plastic baking soda cans each. Its enough to treat the cape until you get out to the truck where you can lay out all the salt you want on it. Have had a cape last 12 days with no problem with careful care.
    I might decide to do a 1/2 mount or even life size on the right ram. I'll pack a little extra salt For a shoulder mount and a clean cape job you may be able to get away with a smaller amount, working it into the face/ears/lips area.

Pro pak or 2 person? We use pro paks.
    A mixture of both, pro paks leave me wanting a little more though, but they do pack nice.

I pack 3 pairs. One on feet and 2 in pack.
    I change my socks often, if you are washing them in a creek or something 3 pair would probably be good. Salts and oils that build up in your socks aren't good to marinate your feet in.

I recal you packed spare batteries. I don't. Fresh batteries will work the entire duration of a hunt for all units. I know SSS will remind me that I forgot to change batteries 2 yrs ago on one item but it didn't hurt though.
    I only took 2 aa batteries last year, only turn on electronics when needed and they do last a long time. Keeping the devices warm helps.

I would be hungry on your daily rations.
    Its worked well. Forgot to add gatorade crystals.

I might decide to do a 1/2 mount or even life size on the right ram. I'll pack a little extra salt For a shoulder mount and a clean cape job you may be able to get away with a smaller amount, working it into the face/ears/lips area.
    Seeing as you plan to only shoot 1 good Stone's ram like your Dad, I'd lean to a half or full body mount too.

However, you can still cut the salt down even for those because a half mount isn't a heck of a lot more skin and you can utilize your partners salt if you decided to do a full mount. Often you're only within a day or two of the lake or highway where lots of salt is. If you're planning to stay longer to look for a 2nd ram, you can always borrow your partners salt closer to the end of the trip because if he dumps one, you're going to be headed out for pick up or highway pretty darned quick and with plenty of time to apply salt.

One needs to look at the average length of stay in the mountains from day 1 to the day they're likely to come out. For example: a 7 or 8 day hunt - take a day for travel ... even if you shoot a ram on day 2 and its an evening ram, you're likely to only start caping the hide out on day 3 and by this time you're only 4 days from coming out to a full load of salt.

You can cut the salt back from your pack weight quite a bit!!

A mixture of both, pro paks leave me wanting a little more though, but they do pack nice.
    They do. I've considered mixing it up between regular packs and the propacks especially for 2 week trips to get more fuel. Otherwise its propack all the way.

Also throw in those multivitamin pills (1 per day)

I usually start conditioning my body to the protein bars used for the hunt etc 2-3 weeks before the hunt to avoid shell shock.

I change my socks often, if you are washing them in a creek or something 3 pair would probably be good. Salts and oils that build up in your socks aren't good to marinate your feet in.
    Yep!! Salt / oils really get caught in the liner socks and they're quick to dry when cycling them throughout the hunt.

I only took 2 aa batteries last year, only turn on electronics when needed and they do last a long time. Keeping the devices warm helps.
    How about the year before Biggest thing is to ensure fresh batteries at the start of the hunt in each unit.
    Last edited by BCrams; 01-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Cabelas packs are well made..never a failure HOWEVER they are heavy..

Steven

Seeing as you plan to only shoot 1 good Stone's ram like your Dad, I'd lean to a half or full body mount too.

However, you can still cut the salt down even for those because a half mount isn't a heck of a lot more skin and you can utilize your partners salt if you decided to do a full mount. Often you're only within a day or two of the lake or highway where lots of salt is. If you're planning to stay longer to look for a 2nd ram, you can always borrow your partners salt closer to the end of the trip because if he dumps one, you're going to be headed out for pick up or highway pretty darned quick and with plenty of time to apply salt.

One needs to look at the average length of stay in the mountains from day 1 to the day they're likely to come out. For example: a 7 or 8 day hunt - take a day for travel ... even if you shoot a ram on day 2 and its an evening ram, you're likely to only start caping the hide out on day 3 and by this time you're only 4 days from coming out to a full load of salt.

You can cut the salt back from your pack weight quite a bit!!
    Or one could just decide wether they want to pack 1, 2 or 3 lbs of salt. If an hour into your hike you think it's too heavy you've got some ballast you can dump and then you can even hunt over your bait.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Cabelas packs are well made..never a failure HOWEVER they are heavy..

Steven
    My cabelas bag ripped this year and the 'back pad' has failed. Noticed the last pack out there's something wrong with the straps as the load was hanging way out from my back - think it might have something to do with the back pad. It's got some minor rips and tears, had to replace the buckle for the waist belt as well as replacing the two bolts at the bottom with neoprene nuts. The mesh part for your lower back is also hooped.

Must admit haven't used it much for the past couple of years.

Overall a pretty good pack.

If you guys want to shave weight you should be splitting a spotter and a gun between two guys.

One other thing for the fly-in hunts is I'd be doing a food drop or two. Operator might tack on a few extra $ for taking the long way to the landing spot but you'll end up with much better food and lighter packs. Can even pack some whiskey then!

Just a couple ideas.

5 pairs of socks does seem like a lot - don't even pack that many on the horses.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela