Page 71 of 79 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

12 day trip, just my pack(so not including binos, clothes on body, camera, etc) with 3L of water and food is about 69lbs.

Food and water alone are 25lbs of that, may look at higher fat, lighter weight bar options as well.
    Last edited by porthunter; 05-06-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Nope. Do nothing. Just walk slower. Don't let even the thought about the weight wreck your mental state. This will plague you on a long sheep hunt. You need to know that it is what it is. If you want to lose weight, stop eating so much two months before you go. Heck, I pack 10 full ambrosia apples just to spite my heavy pack. Sounds silly, but it goes really far in my mental battle along the way. Nothing like laughing AT the weight when your mind plays tricks on your preparedness.
    Coming from a guy with some horn on the wall this speaks volumes, thanks for chiming in.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    12 day trip, just my pack(so not including binos, clothes on body, camera, etc) with 3L of water and food is about 69lbs.

Food and water alone are 25lbs of that, may look at higher fat, lighter weight bar options as well.
    25 lbs for food and water 12 days. That seems about right. I'm assuming that's hiking in with something like 4L of water and then finding a source somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Nope. Do nothing. Just walk slower. Don't let even the thought about the weight wreck your mental state. This will plague you on a long sheep hunt. You need to know that it is what it is. If you want to lose weight, stop eating so much two months before you go. Heck, I pack 10 full ambrosia apples just to spite my heavy pack. Sounds silly, but it goes really far in my mental battle along the way. Nothing like laughing AT the weight when your mind plays tricks on your preparedness.
    Well I am definitely a fan of that mindset. Totally makes sense to me. The mental battle has to be the worst part I am assuming. I have yet to chase sheep but have gone a few nights in the alpine after goats and mulies. Trying to get into it before its too late. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    25 lbs for food and water 12 days. That seems about right. I'm assuming that's hiking in with something like 4L of water and then finding a source somewhere.

Well I am definitely a fan of that mindset. Totally makes sense to me. The mental battle has to be the worst part I am assuming. I have yet to chase sheep but have gone a few nights in the alpine after goats and mulies. Trying to get into it before its too late. Thanks for the advice.
    Exactly. 3.5L of water (Nalgene 1.5 + 2L Platypus) with plans to fill up at water sources/eat at water sources as whenever possible.

Also based on a 3500cal diet, may look at possibly dropping that down to 3000 as it wasn't necessary last time I went with that much food. Figure dropping 500cal/day(6000 total) should work out to give me room for a bottle of whiskey poured into a platypus soft bottle.
    Last edited by porthunter; 05-06-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

It's never too late, I went on my first back pack trip at age 60. At my age and with an assortment of injuries and operations to knees/shoulders, I limited my pack weight to 60lbs including rifle and food so had to get creative. Good excuse to buy an ultralight rifle and light Stone Glacier pack. If you are younger/stronger, as others have said weight is not such a critical factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Citori54 View Post
    It's never too late, I went on my first back pack trip at age 60. At my age and with an assortment of injuries and operations to knees/shoulders, I limited my pack weight to 60lbs including rifle and food so had to get creative. Good excuse to buy an ultralight rifle and light Stone Glacier pack. If you are younger/stronger, as others have said weight is not such a critical factor.
    Good for you. That's awesome. I'm 32 so hopefully I can get after it for another 30 years haha. I think the weight issue for me is the tent for sure. Should be able to buy something else and save a few lbs. That and a lighter tripod and sleeping bag. I'm currently into an Icon Pro 7200 for a pack. Comes in at just over 6 lbs. I looked at the SG ST 6900 but can't justify the price for the minimal difference in weight. However a far superior product for sure.

Appreciate the advice

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Exactly. 3.5L of water (Nalgene 1.5 + 2L Platypus) with plans to fill up at water sources/eat at water sources as whenever possible.

Also based on a 3500cal diet, may look at possibly dropping that down to 3000 as it wasn't necessary last time I went with that much food. Figure dropping 500cal/day(6000 total) should work out to give me room for a bottle of whiskey poured into a platypus soft bottle.
    Good to know thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Well I just weighed everything individually in my pack. I definitely have some work to do haha....

52.95 lbs before food/water. Including rifle and 2.25lbs of salt.

Heavy items seem to be:

Shelter 6lbs
    Sleeping bag 3.4lbs
    Rifle 7.9lbs
    Tripod 4.4lbs

As for all the other gear it's more or less the same as what I have seen on this thread.

What is a good goal weight pre food/water? Assuming food 1.25lbs/day and water 2.2lbs/L? If that's correct. I'm by no means looking to spend thousands and become an ultra light guy but shit I need to do something here haha.
    You have hiking poles obviously? If so, look at the Marmot Nitro 2P tent, works for me anyway...do you carry water disinfection droplets/tablets?

Some things I've changed to reduce weight:

No stove for early season hunts. Sandwiches and snacks are fine for a few days. This also means no pots/pans, no fuel.

No filter. Tablets only. I buy non chlorine non iodide ones and find the taste just fine.

No tent for early season - just a tarp. Saves a lot of bulk and weight.

You could spend thousands on gear chasing ounces, and you'll never be 100% happy

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    You have hiking poles obviously? If so, look at the Marmot Nitro 2P tent, works for me anyway...do you carry water disinfection droplets/tablets?
    Yes carbon poles 12 oz. and the Platypus Gravity Works 2.0 for water. Another 12 oz. Tablets in the first aid kit for backup.

I'll check out that tent thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Some things I've changed to reduce weight:

No stove for early season hunts. Sandwiches and snacks are fine for a few days. This also means no pots/pans, no fuel.

No filter. Tablets only. I buy non chlorine non iodide ones and find the taste just fine.

No tent for early season - just a tarp. Saves a lot of bulk and weight.

You could spend thousands on gear chasing ounces, and you'll never be 100% happy
    Yeah I totally get it. I just don't want to be unrealistic about the weight but like eatram said. Sometimes you just gotta forget about it.

Good idea on no stove for a few days hunt. As for the tarp shelter I haven't tried that yet. Might do a one nighter and give it a go.