Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Viper in 10x50 or 12x50?

Vortex Viper in 10x50 or 12x50?

Hey Folks!

Still looking to upgrade my Binos from my Nikon Prostaff 3s 10x42 to a "mid-tier" Glass. I got a little frustrated this Season trying to count tines on an Elk that wasn't really all that far, and trying to search for muleys in the High Country I was wishing for a little more Magnification as well.

Right now I feel like the Vortex Viper Binos would be a nice option for me, but I figured I'd ask you guys for opinions on it.

Also trying to decide between 10 x 50 and 12 x50. Planning to do Alpine Hunts again next year, Mule Deer for sure in the early Season and I'll probably apply for a Goat LEH, so I'm leaning towards the 12 x 50 Version and a Tripod (I don't have a Spotter and it's not in the budget for quite a while).

But I also understand the drawback of more shakiness while handholding a 12x vs a 10 power Pair.

Help a new hunter out with your experience!

Gianni

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex Viper in 10x50 or 12x50?

I doubt 10x50's would help given what you said the issue is.

Out of curiosity, have you tried a tripod with your 10x42's?

I'm amazed at the detail I can pick up with my 10x42 binos on a tripod compared to being in hand.

I get it that you don't always have time or the situation may not permit mounting on a tripod, but just a thought.

Increasing magnification to 12x I think you will find more limiting for general use than 10s, I have both and other than hunts I expect to be spending most of my time glassing long range I always bring the 10s. A nice set of 10s on a tripod with an aziak Bino adapter may be your best bet for an all around affordable setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I doubt 10x50's would help given what you said the issue is.

Out of curiosity, have you tried a tripod with your 10x42's?

I'm amazed at the detail I can pick up with my 10x42 binos on a tripod compared to being in hand.

I get it that you don't always have time or the situation may not permit mounting on a tripod, but just a thought.
    I had them set up on a trekking pole, but not on a tripod yet. But I had them laying on a flat board and looked through them, it does make a lot of difference!

Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    Increasing magnification to 12x I think you will find more limiting for general use than 10s, I have both and other than hunts I expect to be spending most of my time glassing long range I always bring the 10s. A nice set of 10s on a tripod with an aziak Bino adapter may be your best bet for an all around affordable setup.
    Any other reason than the limited FOV?

the difference in FOV is 60 feet at 1000 yards, from 346 for the 10 power to 288 to the 12s . I couldn't find the FOV for a closer distance, as I would be curious at how much the 12s would be limiting me at close distance.

My thought is, if I want to hunt the thicker stuff I already have my pair of 10x42s that do the trick for close up looking.

I just would hate to spend 1000 Dollars and then sit in the Mountains and still not be satisfied, you know?

my dad has a prostaff, i have monarch 5 and have compared with a bunch of brands and until i tried out ones over 2k there wasnt any real difference,
    his have started to fog up in cold weather and he is sending them for warrenty, mine are great and clear, a bit better than the prostarff but not huge differences.

Need to decide if the FOV is the one factor you're after
    What type of glassing would it actually be more beneficial and is that how you want to go
    Seeing more doesn't mean you will see better

8x56 adds about 5 minutes to the early morning when trying to count tines on a bull moose standing in the bay , compared to my 10x42
    They seemed to have a slightly different colour hue which may have helped, idk
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Need to decide if the FOV is the one factor you're after
    What type of glassing would it actually be more beneficial and is that how you want to go
    Seeing more doesn't mean you will see better

8x56 adds about 5 minutes to the early morning when trying to count tines on a bull moose standing in the bay , compared to my 10x42
    They seemed to have a slightly different colour hue which may have helped, idk
    Well, I'm after being able to count tines, find animals in the Mountains, so I'd say Magnification over FOV. But I also want to be able to use it out of my Harness, handholding it and still being able to see god enough without too much shake in my Picture

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    Funny stuff! Do you actually have a better suggestion tho for the price point?

Those binos are both $8-900. Keep what you have and spend that $900 on a spotting scope. Best of both worlds. The vortex diamondback HD spotters are like $600 and although not a high end spotter, it would be much better for counting point and finding animals than the binos.

Wait until the Zeiss Conquests go on sale and grab those. The price point isn't that much of a jump from the Vortex Vipers but the quality is.