Page 66 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Weatehrby Fan, what Sitka synthetic puffy do you have? If you had Sitka Ascent or Timberlines, which would you bring?

Thanks.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

It would be nice to have two sets of rain gear so you can make a game day decision on what the weather is looking like for your hunt. I don’t go anywhere without a goretex jacket and minimalist goretex pants. The minimalist stuff is cheap insurance and seems to hold up ok in the bush. It’s not like hiking rain gear is designed to walk to the mall in, its all fairly durable, I’d just be careful sitting down in shale and sharp rocks.

I have a down jacket that I don’t leave home without too. I don’t know where you’re going, but I’ve seen it snow in jasper several times in the first few days of September and that’s in town not up a mountain.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

https://www.arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/...erium-lt-hoody this is the down jacket I bring. My only complaint is when I have the hood on and it runs against my face it seems noisy and I can’t hear as well.

https://www.arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/mens/beta-sl-pant I think these are the pants I bring.

and I have a Sitka downpour jacket which is heavy, but I’ve never been wet wearing it unless I was sweating.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talltimber1 View Post
    2020 keeping this going here. Starting to work out and make lists and weigh gear for a possible sheep hunt this summer. It will be my first sheep hunt. Looking for opinions on rifle selection
    Tikka t3x superlite 7mm-08 w/ Leupold 3.5-10 ×40 cds @ 111 ozs and 42 1/2 inches long
    Or
    Browning xbolt hcs 7mm mag w/ Swarovski z3 4-12×50 bt @ 128.5 ozs and 48 1/2 inches long.
    Really leaning towards tikka for weight and length difference.
    Also is Kuiu yukon rain gear too heavy I see a lot of lists with ultralight raingear. How do you crash brush in these?
    Also is a puffy jacket necessary in August or can you get away with a stanfield under a rain jacket?
    My puffy is older and heavy and I'd rather put the money into a spotting scope. I guess it's only 22.4 ozs but you know what they say.....
    Looking like 40 ish pounds without food and water
    And 60ish with for a 7 day hunt. Still a few pieces to acquire. And starting to experiment with my own dehydrated meals. Any opinions, tips or comments welcome. Total newbie. Will post up my list with weights as i get it a little more finalized.
    I never took a puffy last hunt...just got my Kelvin Lite, going to replace the sitka mountain jacket I took last time...puffy will be nice for glassing. I found the mountain jacket redundant as there was never any weather where I would be wearing a jacket to hike which was basically it's only purpose. If the wind was howling I'd just throw the rain jacket on to help cut it. Synthetic down is the way to do it though, real down can be a nightmare.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Weatehrby Fan, what Sitka synthetic puffy do you have? If you had Sitka Ascent or Timberlines, which would you bring?

Thanks.
    We used the Kelvin Lite Puffy ( synthetic ) not the down version,

I didn’t care for the Timberline pants, the Ascent seem to be similar but I haven’t used them, ultimately a lightweight water repellent pant would be best or waterproof legs on lightweight pants.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    We used the Kelvin Lite Puffy ( synthetic ) not the down version,

I didn’t care for the Timberline pants, the Ascent seem to be similar but I haven’t used them, ultimately a lightweight water repellent pant would be best or waterproof legs on lightweight pants.
    Thanks. You think the Kelvin synthetic puffy would be too warm? The Ascent pants are way lighter then the Timberline.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Thanks. You think the Kelvin synthetic puffy would be too warm? The Ascent pants are way lighter then the Timberline.
    Your welcome, yes the Ascent is much lighter than the Timberline but not much for water repellency, I would look at the Traverse Pant, same idea but at least somewhat water repellent for walking in the dew/wet mornings.

Gary (GEF) and I were deer hunting the alpine in late Sept last year and I was wet and he was dry in his Kuiu gear, I don’t know which lightweight pant it was, I was wearing my Columbia pants over Merino wool.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-19-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Anyone wear the Kuiu attack pants?
    Blacktailaholic

To save 17 ounces I would defiantly be taking the Tikka. Yukon jacket was my go to for the opener of stones this year and I took a Sitka kelvin lite for insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeer View Post
    Anyone wear the Kuiu attack pants?
    Attack pants are the best things ever.