Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Hey Carl

Would your gear list work for a ten day grizzly hunt in reg 4 ? or what should a rook bring I have tent backpack not a big one tho riffle lamp truck two pack friends lol but what would a guy really need .....
    You might want to take a bigger gun and more toilet paper. That list is for a backpack hunt, if you are hunting grizz out of a truck/quads you can have a much better camp.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Here are some good ones

Mystery Ranch-Nice 6500 -7500 or crewcab
    Barney packs -External frame freighter with pinnacle 7800 bag
    Kifaru - Longhunter
    Eberlestock - Just one
    Wilderness wanderer- external frame
    Ideally try each one to see which suits your frame these are all more than up to the task .
    Personally, I would cross off the Eberlestock and WW off that list....and I own both of them.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by mudbud View Post
    I'll go first.

With 2 of us including water, salt and one rifle we were exactly 102lbs 6 ounces. This is for ~10 days. I think I could drop that a few lbs but at the sacrifice of some comfort.
    Wow, although I have never hunted sheep, I would never pack water, especially in an alpine setting where the sheep usually are. For places with inferior water, a filter can save a lot of weight.

Bc Rams At least I pack beer for SSS . Come on a young man like your self should not have any problems packing 1-2 beer .

calvin L

Wow, although I have never hunted sheep, I would never pack water, especially in an alpine setting where the sheep usually are. For places with inferior water, a filter can save a lot of weight.
    Sometimes you've got to pack water, because there some mountains where it is scarce, and certain times of year it's scarce. I have a 1.5 liter nalgene I like to always keep full and 3 1L platypus I fill for when we want reserves at camp.

Having a pump filter, has allowed to us to get water from some pretty small watering holes, that would be otherwise be very tough to get water out of.

The last few years we've dug holes at the bottom of snow pack and let them fill then pump the water out.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    It took us 6hr to hike up to the alpine, with no water sources along the way.Be prepared to carry water...Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Here are some good ones

Mystery Ranch-Nice 6500 -7500 or crewcab
    Barney packs -External frame freighter with pinnacle 7800 bag
    Kifaru - Longhunter
    Eberlestock - Just one
    Wilderness wanderer- external frame
    Ideally try each one to see which suits your frame these are all more than up to the task .
    I have seen all the packs and my number 1 recommendation for sheep hunting on extended hunts is the Barney Pack. The "pinnacle" bag in my opinion is a tad big but the 'hunter' is just perfect. In-law owns the pinnacle so had a good look at it during a sheep hunt vs hunter.

Didn't like WW from the get go quite a few years back and witnessing SSS's pack fall apart didn't help

Eberlestock - too small .. great for deer hunting or 2-3 day weekend warrior goat / sheep / deer trips.

Kifaru longhunter - just didn't like the fit and internal bag set up.

I know MR packs are fine looking packs and comfortable to a certain point but I always wondered how they would perform with a 'sheep load' and so far everything I've heard under a sheep load weighs in on negative from other 'extremely hardcore and experienced' hunters. A couple of whom are members on here.

More than a few hardcore sheep guys on this site and non-members have purchased the Barney backpack after seeing mine first hand and sets a chain reaction to their friends and can attest to a bomb proof / tough pack for sheep hunting (including sheep guides).

If you're looking for a solid pack to use year after year for sheep hunting type trips....have a serious look at the Barney.

That said, I park the Barney for my other hunts unless leaving it in the camp or truck and using it to pack elk quarters in the bag (works like a hot damn strapped in).

I think the MR pack would be a great fit for weekend elk and deer hunting or for 3 day goat / sheep trips!

vortex hunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    You might want to take a bigger gun and more toilet paper. That list is for a backpack hunt, if you are hunting grizz out of a truck/quads you can have a much better camp.

Carl

Hey Carl

Yeah we might be near the truck BUT I want to hike up high and traverse the mountian and find a big G not just a shooter... I do carry a BIG gun 300 win mag with 180g Barnes tsx bullets.. and bring'in lots of beer due to this hunt being my STAG .....
    Last edited by vortex hunter; 01-04-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex hunter View Post
    and bring'in lots of beer due to this hunt being my STAG .....
    In that case, I understand the MR packs come with cup holders on the hip belt for your beer

BCrams,
    how many cubic inches is the barney hunter?
    I was almost sold on the MR 6500 but you've thrown a nice wrench into that plan
    I do like the overall look of the pinnacle but it is pretty massive.