Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    your not telling me anything I don’t know, I have the Sitka Kelvin Lite Primaloft jacket, I didn’t want the (“real”) down puffy as they’re hard to dry out when wet
    I was just clarifying the nomenclature ..... each insulation type has its pros and cons. I'm sure you picked the best one for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Merino, or saxx, bring 3 they don’t weigh much.

Don’t under estimate how cold it will get. When I read “will I be ok with just a stany” you scared me. I think you would regret that very quickly. I would say that would be dangerous
    Just a stany under my yukon jacket with merino long sleeve and merino long under wear under that. Doesn't sound dangerous to me. Im 48 and spent most of my life chasing snow in the mountains. Can count the number of times I've worn a puffy on one hand. Always a hard shell with layers.
    Never worked a day indoors in my life either.
    Last edited by Talltimber1; 01-20-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Talltimber1 View Post
    Ok next question.....
    Synthetic or merino wool boxers, say if you're only bringing 2 pair for a week of hiking.
    I brought 3 pairs of merino boxers, we had lots of water so could wash and dry clothes where we were
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Just a stany under my yukon jacket with merino long sleeve and merino long under wear under that. Doesn't sound dangerous to me. Im 48 and spent most of my life chasing snow in the mountains. Can count the number of times I've worn a puffy on one hand. Always a hard shell with layers.
    Never worked a day indoors in my life either.
    sledding is a little different than hunting...i sled in just a long sleeve and hard shell but your constantly moving. puffy jacket and pants are more so if you get trapped on the mountain for a night or for long periods of glassing in the wind. there isnt alot of firewood in goat/ sheep country up high. not to mention a puffy is by far warmer and weight less. probably also packs up smaller than a standfield to

your tougher then me then. It was a humbling experience how miserable the northern Rockies can be in August.

like madecalf said... not much fire wood and if you need to sleep under a rock one night to stay close to sheep and goats you’ll be wanting that puffy

Ok a puffy is coming. The Stany actually isnt on the list. I just used that as an example and stayed with it for too long. I have a Kuiu hoodie for a mid layer that is lighter and takes up less space.
    Has anyone tried a Brooks Down Sweater from First Lite?
    Keeping with the pack weight theme, I dried out 14 thick wet wipes last night and they weighed 1.1 ozs this morning.
    Last edited by Talltimber1; 01-20-2020 at 08:58 PM.

My experience is bighorns in late August and September in Alberta, so it may not be the same, but I don't even bother with a mid layer. I just bring a base layer, a puffy, and a rain jacket. I've never found myself wishing I had brought some sort of mid layer yet during those earlier seasons.

My Valandre Bloody Mary came in the mail today. I WILL be sleeping in it tonight. Haha

looks like a nice bag but I'm not sure i'd name a sleeping bag "Bloody Mary". Conjures up an image I'd rather not sleep in.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

My Valandre Bloody Mary came in the mail today. I WILL be sleeping in it tonight. Haha
    this is one of the bags I use, that or a shocking blue, both excellent bags.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America