Page 64 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I survive on next to nothing also at high elevation. I'm pretty stoked on the roasted soybeans for next trip, super light and packed with protein, calories and other essentials. Next best thing to steak they say HA. Maybe others are different, but protein is what keeps me going while backpacking.

I'm by no means a more mountain guru, but I've learned to take care of my feet. Decent footwear, doesn't have to be expensive but rather comfortable. I rocked a $150 pair of boots for 3 sheep and 3 goat hunts with only hotspots en route out heavy on the last day/2. Prior to that my expensive scarpas just destroyed my feet daily, same with my partner. I'll take comfort over price tag all day. Also while stopping to glass etc. get them boots off and let your feet breathe, I try to swap socks for a dry set as much as I can. Pull boot insoles and point boots into the sun. Air dry the damp ones on your hiking pole handles while resting, or strap to pack while hiking so there nice and dry for the next swap. On wet fogged out days we generally concentrate on getting a fire going and drying gear out, especially boots. Just be careful not to overheat, can ruin a good pair of boots in a hurry.
    I'm on a family holiday right now and just recently bought Zamberlans, I've yet to do a longer hike, but on shorter hikes thus far, so far so good, very comfortable.....I bought the 960's....

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/product...own-dark-brown

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I'm on a family holiday right now and just recently bought Zamberlans, I've yet to do a longer hike, but on shorter hikes thus far, so far so good, very comfortable.....I bought the 960's....

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/product...own-dark-brown
    My first pair of zamberlans lasted five years of rugged hiking fishing camping and hunting. Hundreds of KMs of scouting and only got ruined when I also got mine way to hot near a fire trying to dry them.

I've since upgraded to the zamberlans toffane and I think these are the best boots I've ever put my feet into. Beats the hell out of scarpa and those other brands. Real genuine leather made in Italy.

Just finished repacking a number 10 can of chicken stew, into personal meals, made 8 meals all vacuums packed, in zip lock 3mm bags

Anyone have any tips for winter mountain hunts? What do people so with their boots at night after their feet have been sweating in them? I'm talking December to march mountain hunts. Does anyone toss their boots In a bag and put them in the bottom of their sleeping bag or something along those lines?

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Anyone have any tips for winter mountain hunts? What do people so with their boots at night after their feet have been sweating in them? I'm talking December to march mountain hunts. Does anyone toss their boots In a bag and put them in the bottom of their sleeping bag or something along those lines?
    If you are having a fire at night, heat up rocks and put them in your boots to take the moister out of the boots

51lbs for a late season trip this year, incl 10 days of food, 3L of water, rifle and all communal stuff (stove, fuel, tent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    51lbs for a late season trip this year, incl 10 days of food, 3L of water, rifle and all communal stuff (stove, fuel, tent)
    Do you have a list of pack contents, thanks, more contents list will help everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    Post pack contents! I'd love to see what you're carrying because that seems a little on the low end for a late season hunt with 10 days of food.

Curious what your shelter set up and extra clothes set is.

I think my aug 31 trip this year for 4 days was like 43lb with 4L but not including rifle!! And I didnt even bring a tent or a stove!!

Did I just read that someone brings 1/2 a roll of shit tickets for a 14 day hunt
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Did I just read that someone brings 1/2 a roll of shit tickets for a 14 day hunt
    2-3 squares at a time:. Unless you wipe when you pee??