Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 286876777879 LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

I remember my first trip into the alpine looking for goats when I was about 14 with my uncle. We had those aluminum pack frames with a half bag that sat on top of your exposed sleeping bag and we packed cans of stew for food. It wasn’t a hard 10 day grind like the places I hunt now, but I still look back and get a good laugh.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

If anyone finds it interesting, here is my pack list for our upcoming 2023 Sheep hunt. This is everything but water, including 6lb of camera gear. May be able to lower it slightly removing duplicates between myself and my partner.

Some notes:

- trying out stone glacier quilt instead of my WM versalite. Will use puffy pants/jacket if needed
    - a little lighter on food this go around
    - saved almost 10oz by vacuum sealing Peak Meals. (0.75oz per bag). Will see how much of a pain reheating and/or eating is
    - have been tempted over the years for lighter rain gear, but haven’t jumped in yet. Like the comfort/durability but may switch over in future
    - first trip with the Kowa 77. Not much heavier than previous razor 65, and know the weight will be worth it
    - may drop cliff bars and add in some meat and/or cheese

tear it apart

https://lighterpack.com/r/skn7v9
    Last edited by DStewart; 08-04-2023 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    If anyone finds it interesting, here is my pack list for our upcoming 2023 Sheep hunt. This is everything but water, including 6lb of camera gear. May be able to lower it slightly removing duplicates between myself and my partner.

Some notes:

- trying out stone glacier quilt instead of my WM versalite. Will use puffy pants/jacket if needed
    - have been tempted over the years for lighter rain gear, but haven’t jumped in yet. Like the comfort/durability but may switch over in future
    - first trip with the Kowa 77. Not much heavier than previous razor 65, and know the weight will be worth it

tear it apart

I’m with you on the Kowa, I picked up one of their compact 553 models this year for goat hunting and it’s some really nice glass. Looking at your gear list you look like you’re pretty squared away, I’d be tempted to take something like a thermarest xtherm NXT for a sleeping pad, it’s the same weight or a little less and it’s almost double the R-value. That said, sleep stuff is mostly personal preference.

Some notes:

tear it apart

Your list looks great...how long are you going for? You don't take a pack-alarm or similar camp bear defense or a compass with you (not judging, just merely curious)? I'm always amazed at how light some of you sheep hunters' can keep your packs, for my 3-4 day hike in elk hunts, my pack is usually 60+ lbs...maybe because I'm using a bit older Eberlestock pack, idunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Bado20 View Post
    I’m with you on the Kowa, I picked up one of their compact 553 models this year for goat hunting and it’s some really nice glass. Looking at your gear list you look like you’re pretty squared away, I’d be tempted to take something like a thermarest xtherm NXT for a sleeping pad, it’s the same weight or a little less and it’s almost double the R-value. That said, sleep stuff is mostly personal preference.
    Have definitely considered a sleeping pad switch. When I originally bought the Nemo, they didn’t actually have an official R-Value for it. I am a side sleeper, and a little taller. This is their long/wide model, and has a good amount of loft to keep my hips/shoulders off the ground. The X-therm is the route I would be going, would be interested to see the warmth difference!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Your list looks great...how long are you going for? You don't take a pack-alarm or similar camp bear defense or a compass with you (not judging, just merely curious)? I'm always amazed at how light some of you sheep hunters' can keep your packs, for my 3-4 day hike in elk hunts, my pack is usually 60+ lbs...maybe because I'm using a bit older Eberlestock pack, idunno...
    This will be for 12-13 days. No pack alarm or dedicated compass. I will almost exclusively use phone and/or Inreach for navigation. The inreach explorer gives me some redundancy in case something craps out, and once above tree line navigation becomes much more comfortable. Thick elk country would be a different story, but following ridges and/or valleys in sheep country isn’t too bad.

My pack may be somewhere I attempt to save some weight in the future. I have exclusively used MR packs since starting hunting, and have had good experiences. The newer Stone Glacier Terminus options look tempting, and almost 3lbs lighter, but weight always comes with a trade off..

I know that I could get my total kit down lighter, but I have made some decisions for comfort/function over weight. I think numbers can be misleading at times. A lot of posts of weight, some with no food, some with no rifle, some with this, some with that. I try my best to include everything, other then water which will change from day to day and be a consistent weight per/L for everyone.
    Last edited by DStewart; 08-04-2023 at 07:56 AM.

Wheres the TP? No water filter either?

List are quite similar. I'm at 71lbs pre water for 11 days.

Some notes:

tear it apart

Quote Originally Posted by kevingm1987 View Post
    Wheres the TP? No water filter either?

List are quite similar. I'm at 71lbs pre water for 11 days.
    I use the 3L Katadyn befree, which I like as I can also use it for water storage.
    Added in the TP/wet wipes, and crocs, forgot them both!
    Last edited by DStewart; 08-04-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Walking in this year with water and rifle I was at 66lbs on the nose with 10+ days of groceries. Walking out was significantly heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Walking in this year with water and rifle I was at 66lbs on the nose with 10+ days of groceries. Walking out was significantly heavier.
    Sounds like there is a story to share.

Have definitely considered a sleeping pad switch. When I originally bought the Nemo, they didn’t actually have an official R-Value for it. I am a side sleeper, and a little taller. This is their long/wide model, and has a good amount of loft to keep my hips/shoulders off the ground. The X-therm is the route I would be going, would be interested to see the warmth difference!

This will be for 12-13 days. No pack alarm or dedicated compass. I will almost exclusively use phone and/or Inreach for navigation. The inreach explorer gives me some redundancy in case something craps out, and once above tree line navigation becomes much more comfortable. Thick elk country would be a different story, but following ridges and/or valleys in sheep country isn’t too bad.

My pack may be somewhere I attempt to save some weight in the future. I have exclusively used MR packs since starting hunting, and have had good experiences. The newer Stone Glacier Terminus options look tempting, and almost 3lbs lighter, but weight always comes with a trade off..

I know that I could get my total kit down lighter, but I have made some decisions for comfort/function over weight. I think numbers can be misleading at times. A lot of posts of weight, some with no food, some with no rifle, some with this, some with that. I try my best to include everything, other then water which will change from day to day and be a consistent weight per/L for everyone.
    Definitely a trade with weight savings for sure... I agree alpine open country is very easy to navigate, but since they're so light and compact, might be worth bringing a compass in case you have a situation where fog rolls in and your digital navigation units crap out..although the odds of a situation like that arising may be slim..cheers..