Page 61 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

At the end of a long day, nothing tastes better than a MH or alpine aire. Im not a picky eater though, seems like some people are pickier than others. Heathers choice is too expensive for me.

Not so much being picky, I dont mind playing around with the dehydrator and coming up with different recipes.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    At the end of a long day, nothing tastes better than a MH or alpine aire. Im not a picky eater though, seems like some people are pickier than others. Heathers choice is too expensive for me.
    You know what would taste better? Chicken wings. That is what. Who'll be laughing while I am eating chicken wings and you are testing out MH latest cat food flavour?

Also, do you mind packing the wings in for me?

MH certainly taste fine although salty as hell.

l've eaten a lot of Heather's choice. Always buy them when she has a sale and they are still pricey. For the most part I like the flavours. The fact they use "real' food I think helps. List of ingredients reads like something a Grandmother would make from scratch. I also like the protein content is way higher and is game meat.

Reality is though, as Rob is doing, making your own is far simpler than I think most of us realize. I've been meaning to start experimenting too. I've heard a good place to start is just with leftovers. Take leftovers from your favourite meals and dehydrate them and test it out.

Or buy one of the many books out there offering proven recipes.

I have no doubt our bodies do better with food like this than MH etc. Which isn't to say MH will ruin a hunt, maybe the inside of your shorts though. I just think there is better options.

I started packing protein powder this year on my goat hunt and found that made a huge difference to how I felt each day. That extra 50 grams of protein no doubt helped with recovery. Added some MCT oil too.

https://youtu.be/Y6rE0EakhG8
    Last edited by Lastcar; 02-26-2017 at 11:22 AM.

I'm planning on protein powder for sure this year as well. I like the vid!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The consensus seems 130 or so coming out. Even if that's 100 for us who don't chase sheep for 10 days in a row, that's still considerably more than I usually pack. Especially when carried on slippery or uneven terrain.
    What training methods do you guys employ?

I hit the gym and stay fit, but that's all gym lifts. Doesn't really translate to mountain lifts lol. I'm thinking of doing some local hikes come spring with rocks in the pack to simulate a pack out. Get the knees used to controlling the weight on the descent.

What does everyone else do?
    Last season my Barneys Yukon pack and freighter frame with rifle, 2L of water and gear/food for 12 days was 69lbs..started going through gear to see what I'm leaving this season ahha not going to change a lot thoe....I like to train starting in mid march- beginning of April going on long days of shed hunting/ hiking, I normally start with 30-45lbs and then have a steep hill by my house that takes 30min to go up with 80lbs to get use to having that weight on your back and being mobile, I'm normally out hiking with a 20-30lb day pack every weekend and few days during the week looking for game and chance on a wolf, over the years I've found that training out in real world environments and terrain is the best training you can get.. just like shooting your rifle, if you only practice at the range off a bench in a calm environment your not going to do great shooting in a hunting situation, practice/ train in the environment your going to be in the best you can. Over the years I've gone out to the bush, set up a target at 200 yards either shooting uphill or downhill and after I do a group I jog to my target, mark my group with a marker and jog back to my rifle, reload and shoot while still winded, then repeat and see how it affected your groups, I shoot 3 rounds per group and do 3 groups, good and fun training!!

Have chiselled my overall weight for 12 days down to 50#, that's with an 11# rifle setup.
    Love the Pad Thai, got ten ready for next trek.
    http://www.backpackerspantry.com/pad-thai.html
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

here is my Mountain hunting gear list

Description Weight - oz Weight - lbs
    Stone glacier sky 7400 pack also have mystery ranch opti fade pack 6500 cu inch 123.2oz 7.7 lb mystery ranch
    Kimber Montana 270 wsm with Swarovski 3-10x42 and tally rings/bases 116.8oz 8.3 lb
    10 days lunch and dinners with breakfasts 137.6oz 10.6 lb
    Ti Goat 7.5 with titanium stove 162.24oz 5.5 lb
    Swarovski CT 85 with cabon fiber tripod 82.08oz 5.13.6 lb
    Zeiss conquest 15x45 and Swarovski range finder 21.9oz 1.36lb
    Big Agnes Moon hill 33.92oz 2.12lb
    exped down mat and foam pad 20 oz 1.2lb
    Jet boil sumo titanium 1.8 LT with 3 cans fuel with titanium long spoon
    1 collapsible silicone bowl with titanium spoon/ also knife/ fork/ spoon
    31oz 1.93lb
    Sitka downpour lite pants/ jacket, kelvin pants / jacket I wear mountain pants and merino wool top hanwag boots 84.48oz 5.28lb
    Panasonic lumix HD w/ batteries 16oz 1. lb
    1 box Salt 35.2oz 2.2 lb
    victorinox paring and Havalon Piranta Skinning Knife with 12 blades 0.6oz .037lb
    Aluminum bottle 1.5 L full 35.2oz 2.2lb
    Sea to Summit Thermal Reactor (15°) 8.5oz .53lb
    socks (3), under ware( 5), t shirt (3) 20oz 1.25 lb
    Bandaids, matches bic , tylenol tabs, toridol tabs 0.35oz .0218lb
    what a saw with meat blade and 2 wood blades 19.2oz 1.2 lb
    Fenix 1000 lumens’ head lamp w/extra batteries 8.55oz .212lb
    Package of 30 yards para cord General use and tying items onto pack 0.3oz .187 lb
    1 package of baby wipes 1 zip lock bag can also let these dry to save weight 8.6oz .537 lb
    Can split up some gear if another person comes along
    Total 952 59.50 lb

Quote Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
    here is my Mountain hunting gear list
    Did I miss the tent on there? 5 underwear . . . you goat hunting? 2 pairs, wash em up in the creek. Snacks (energy bars, trial mix, powder), soap, bags for meat, etc. Might be missing some items.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    Did I miss the tent on there? 5 underwear . . . you goat hunting? 2 pairs, wash em up in the creek. Snacks (energy bars, trial mix, powder), soap, bags for meat, etc. Might be missing some items.
    Ti goat tent and stove, for the tent, 3 pair of gonch 1 helley hanson long undurwaer and 1 helley top

Snacks are figured into the food.
    yes goats

As far as soap my buddy has that covered, along with meat bags, but thanks for posting these possible missed items
    Last edited by huntfish; 07-15-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
    Ti goat tent and stove, for the tent, 3 pair of gonch 1 helley hanson long undurwaer and 1 helley top

Snacks are figured into the food.
    yes goats

As far as soap my buddy has that covered, along with meat bags, but thanks for posting these possible missed items
    My bad. I read the original post as though you were going solo. The "if another person comes along" is actually a third person. You're good to go.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC