Page 63 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Bounce sheets?
    Emergency firestarter, and freshen up the stank in the tent HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Interesting. Had no idea they were that flammable. Good call on the goat ball stank too....lol

Haven’t loaded my pack this year upgraded several items I’m hoping I’m around 60lbs if the trip we have planned works out we will be flying into a back lake and spike from there but we will see still waiting to see if we get our accompany to hunt permit.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    That's a legit list Astepanuk! What's your pack weight without water?

Ive posted before. But think I'm gonna try sub in some roasted soybeans next trip for some extra sustenance and help shave some weight.

14 day Sheep pack list:
    1 Stone Glacier Terminus Backpack, 4lbs
    Rifle, scope,bipod
    8 rounds ammo
    1 headlamp, lithium batteries and spare set
    1 travel toothbrush/toothpaste
    1 30ml deep woods off
    1 basic first aid kit
    1 Chapstick
    1 lighter
    1 box waterproof matches
    6 bounce sheets
    2 30ml water purifying drops
    50 ft para cord
    1 lens pen
    2 spare bootlaces
    1 camo polyester face mask
    1 Garmin hand held GPS, lithium batteries
    1 SPOT gps locator, lithium batteries
    1 12-40x60 Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope/tripod
    1 Leica 1600B rangefinder
    1 wind meter
    1 ipod w/phoneskope adapter and Isnipe bal.program
    1, 2 1/4" folding Buck knife
    1, speedsharp knife sharpener
    1, Taiga Bivy Shelter-2, 2.5#
    1, MEC down sleeping bag, 2lb 10oz
    1, thermarest z-lite 10oz
    1, small cheesecloth game bag
    3, 2litre hydration bladders
    1, 1 litre Nalgene bottle
    1 plastic coffee cup
    1 25L dry storage bag/stuff sack
    1 contractor garbage bag
    1 wristwatch
    15 freeze dried meals
    24 vector bars
    800g vector cereal with powdered milk and protein powder added
    14 packs emergenC
    400g cashews
    600g jerky
    300g apple chips
    1 MSR Whisperlite cook stove
    1 litre cooking fuel
    1 titanium cooking pot
    1 long msr spoon
    1/2 roll toilet paper
    2 pair hiking underwear, poly blend
    3 pairs socks, merino wool
    2 hiking t shirts, poly blend/merino
    1 light merino long underwear
    1 light merino long sleeve
    1 light/med weight poly blend hiking pants.
    1 gore tex jacket
    1 gore tex pant
    1 pair crocs
    1 Light fleece beanie
    1 pair light quick drying gloves

Around 55# without water

Fantastic list for any backpack hike in hunt, thanks for sharing...I personally would add a compass and hiking poles to that..

Guys, share some tips on what you learned over the years

One thing I've learned is my appetite drops in the mountains. I sent know why. I have a hard time eating throughout the day so one thing I will change this year is bring more easy to eat food. Like some gel packs and cliff bars. Brought lots of nuts last year on my alpine hunt and I couldn't get enough in before I would be sick of chewing. Basically just ate proper for dinner when I'd make a mountain house.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Fantastic list for any backpack hike in hunt, thanks for sharing...I personally would add a compass and hiking poles to that..
    Ya not sure why poles aren't on there, I wouldn't leave the truck without them. Compass and topo map didn't make the cut after my first sheep hunt, now I just study it for months prior
    I also forgot polysporin, good for chapped arse, Penaten works ok too.
    Last edited by .264winmag; 06-06-2018 at 01:10 AM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

One thing I've learned is my appetite drops in the mountains. I sent know why. I have a hard time eating throughout the day so one thing I will change this year is bring more easy to eat food. Like some gel packs and cliff bars. Brought lots of nuts last year on my alpine hunt and I couldn't get enough in before I would be sick of chewing. Basically just ate proper for dinner when I'd make a mountain house.
    I survive on next to nothing also at high elevation. I'm pretty stoked on the roasted soybeans for next trip, super light and packed with protein, calories and other essentials. Next best thing to steak they say HA. Maybe others are different, but protein is what keeps me going while backpacking.

I'm by no means a more mountain guru, but I've learned to take care of my feet. Decent footwear, doesn't have to be expensive but rather comfortable. I rocked a $150 pair of boots for 3 sheep and 3 goat hunts with only hotspots en route out heavy on the last day/2. Prior to that my expensive scarpas just destroyed my feet daily, same with my partner. I'll take comfort over price tag all day. Also while stopping to glass etc. get them boots off and let your feet breathe, I try to swap socks for a dry set as much as I can. Pull boot insoles and point boots into the sun. Air dry the damp ones on your hiking pole handles while resting, or strap to pack while hiking so there nice and dry for the next swap. On wet fogged out days we generally concentrate on getting a fire going and drying gear out, especially boots. Just be careful not to overheat, can ruin a good pair of boots in a hurry.

[QUOTE=.264winmag;2012541 Just be careful not to overheat, can ruin a good pair of boots in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it shrunk my new Hanwag's so tight on my big toe they now live with a pop can in the toe during the off season to stretch them out with lots of bees wax for water proofing.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Tell me about it shrunk my new Hanwag's so tight on my big toe they now live with a pop can in the toe during the off season to stretch them out with lots of bees wax for water proofing.
    Ya I cooked the top of the tounges on my scarpas, and the tops of another set. Made for an uncomfortable hike out for sure. Now I build a little rock heat shield for em, also put warm rocks inside the boots to help dry. A tin water bottle filled with boiled water stuffed inside helps dry em out too. Put my hot tea in there in the mornings to take the edge off em.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

I haven't done any long duration hike in hunts yet like many of you on this thread have..however, on my hike in hunts or hike in camps I have done, besides my main meals of mountain house or whatever, I always mix dried fruit with my nuts, I find the nuts with their protein give a longer term energy, while the dried fruit gives a more instantaneous energy..I also love bringing deer jerky..