Page 62 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep pack weight ?????

Re: sheep pack weight ?????

That's why I read these threads!! Cuts down on "missed items".

Quote Originally Posted by Fosey View Post
    I don't take those Mountain house or other commercial foods because they are to salty and have no nutritional value.There is lots of options but they involve a little work. For supper I make jerky and then put that in Knorr soups with extra whole wheat noodles. For breakfast try homemade granola with dried berries hemp seeds and protein powder and coffee. Make your own trail mix when the nuts are on sale. For lunch I take those small Hovis type breads with cheese and meat. After reading about preparing your own meals I will be trying that. The Journal of mountain Hunting is really pushing those Heathers choice meals and her articles are very good.

Lots of things in the grocery store to test before the season, that are cheap and more nutritious.
    What Knorr soups are you eating because all the ones i've seen are like 150 calories, which is nothing.

A rice & Chicken mountain house will have 480cals per 1/2 portion. So one whole meal will be 960 calories, which is a VERY solid dinner for any person. Yes, they are high in sodium, but i don't imagine your Knorr soup is sodium free either. And Jerky itself is very high in sodium as well. soo.....

Yes, lots of options out there that are better, but few that are as light and as nutritious.

However, some of those mountain house meals are like $11 and don't even have more than 500 cals per whole package. Which i think is an absolute waste of money.

I buy the chicken and rice ones and they are $8-9 and have 960 calories per pack, which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    What Knorr soups are you eating because all the ones i've seen are like 150 calories, which is nothing.

A rice & Chicken mountain house will have 480cals per 1/2 portion. So one whole meal will be 960 calories, which is a VERY solid dinner for any person. Yes, they are high in sodium, but i don't imagine your Knorr soup is sodium free either. And Jerky itself is very high in sodium as well. soo.....

Yes, lots of options out there that are better, but few that are as light and as nutritious.

However, some of those mountain house meals are like $11 and don't even have more than 500 cals per whole package. Which i think is an absolute waste of money.

I buy the chicken and rice ones and they are $8-9 and have 960 calories per pack, which is great.

Although some to be said about Mountain house meals that take 4 min then consume , lipton meals need to be cooked then simmer then eat, how long do they take from start to consume

Bump for a new season

First time I went sheep hunting i had just shy of 60lbs... The second time I was ready to get up the mountain I had 42lbs, but the trails proved impassible, so we stayed low and hunted elk instead. Hoping that I get a 3rd opportunity, and I'm hoping to get my pack between 35 and 40, I feel like it's acheivable. These weights are all not including what I'm wearing, or Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor329 View Post
    First time I went sheep hunting i had just shy of 60lbs... The second time I was ready to get up the mountain I had 42lbs, but the trails proved impassible, so we stayed low and hunted elk instead. Hoping that I get a 3rd opportunity, and I'm hoping to get my pack between 35 and 40, I feel like it's acheivable. These weights are all not including what I'm wearing, or Rifle.

Taylor post up a gear list , can’t see ya breaking sub 40 with 14 days of food ? Not my first rodeo , seems a tall task but good on ya if ya can. Personally now I just hop on the scale , then put boots , clothing , binos , pack on with gun in scabbard and see what the weight is. That’s when I realized how heavy my Sitka timberline pants and lowa’s were haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon500 View Post
    Taylor post up a gear list , can’t see ya breaking sub 40 with 14 days of food ? Not my first rodeo , seems a tall task but good on ya if ya can. Personally now I just hop on the scale , then put boots , clothing , binos , pack on with gun in scabbard and see what the weight is. That’s when I realized how heavy my Sitka timberline pants and lowa’s were haha
    I never wrote one down or took any photos of it spread out, so I'll do the best I can from memory. We were going to do an elk/sheep combo so we were just planning on a 6 day max spike out from our elk base camp, that might help save a bit of weight. (First trip we went planning on the same amount of days). Lots of extra food and supplies at the base camps each time.

In my pack was an extra box of bullets, Black Diamond trekking poles, 2 man Big Agnes tent, Marmot sleeping bag, Goretex rain jacket from Sitka, Havalon knife with replacement blades, Light My Fire fixed blade knife, a few lighters, a few fire starter fuel packets, Jetboil kit with one extra fuel can, large Nalgene bottle, 1 pack of Yukon game bags, DeLorme InReach, some old Bushnell 10x42's, Leupold Spotting scope, Slik tripod, Klymit sleeping pad, 6 days of Mountainhouse/Alpine Air meals, a few snack bars, 3 or 4 oatmeal packets, plastic mug, plastic spork, toothbrush/toothpaste, rain cover for pack, small first aid kit, puffy Sitka Jacket, extra pair of socks, I have 2 lightweight drybag type bags that I sort everything into for organization - 1 for food, 1 for clothes, everything else has separate compartments on the pack. I'm probably missing some stuff but that's all I can remember at the moment..

Hey Guys

Here is my current list of my Sheep hunting Gear.

Kuiu Ultra 7200
    Tent MSR Hubba Bubba 3
    Kelty Cosmic down
    Sea to summit Liner
    Static V2 Sleeping Pad
    Leica HD-B
    Swarovski 65 MM ATS
    Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10S Ball Head
    Christensen Arms Summit TI 300Rum
    Swarovski Z3
    12 Berger bullets
    Sitka Downpour Jacket and Pants
    Kuiu Guide jacket
    Kuiu Guide Pants
    Kuiu Alpine Pants
    Kuiu Guide Vest
    Kuiu Guide Gloves
    Merino Wool Base Layer
    Kuiu Ball cap
    3X Saxx’s
    Hanwag Boots
    Kuiu Gaiters
    3 pair’s smart wool
    Jet Boil stove
    Havolon Piranta + 4 blades
    Ear plugs for Snoring Hunting partner and Muzzle Brake
    Folding saw
    MSR Trekking Poles
    Petzl head lamp Lithium Batteries
    Hybrid Puc Expandable Lantern/Charger
    Sea to Summit Folding Pot Cook pot
    2X bic lighters
    3X Iso-butane fuel
    MSR Spork
    Parachute rope 50ft
    Topo Map
    Game Bags
    Finger cot for barrel

Food

• Back Packers pantry 10 days stock
    • Powdered Mash Potatoes
    • Oatmeal packs
    • 2 Lbs trail mix
    • 12 Cliff Bars

Water

• 2 – 1L Nalgene water bottles
    • Water purifying tabs
    • NUUN electrolyte tabs

That's a legit list Astepanuk! What's your pack weight without water?

Ive posted before. But think I'm gonna try sub in some roasted soybeans next trip for some extra sustenance and help shave some weight.

14 day Sheep pack list:
    1 Stone Glacier Terminus Backpack, 4lbs
    Rifle, scope,bipod
    hiking poles, telescopic aluminum
    8 rounds ammo
    1 headlamp, lithium batteries and spare set
    1 travel toothbrush/toothpaste
    1 30ml deep woods off
    1 basic first aid kit
    1 Chapstick
    1 lighter
    1 box waterproof matches
    6 bounce sheets
    2 30ml water purifying drops
    50 ft para cord
    1 lens pen
    2 spare bootlaces
    1 camo polyester face mask
    1 Garmin hand held GPS, lithium batteries
    1 SPOT gps locator, lithium batteries
    1 12-40x60 Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope/tripod
    1 Leica 1600B rangefinder
    1 wind meter
    1 ipod w/phoneskope adapter and Isnipe bal.program
    1, 2 1/4" folding Buck knife
    1, speedsharp knife sharpener
    1, Taiga Bivy Shelter-2, 2.5#
    1, MEC down sleeping bag, 2lb 10oz
    1, thermarest z-lite 10oz
    1, small cheesecloth game bag
    3, 2litre hydration bladders
    1, 1 litre Nalgene bottle
    1 plastic coffee cup
    1 25L dry storage bag/stuff sack
    1 aluminum water bottle 500ml
    1 contractor garbage bag

1 wristwatch
    15 freeze dried meals
    24 vector bars
    800g vector cereal with powdered milk and protein powder added
    14 packs emergenC
    20 red rose tea
    400g cashews

600g jerky
    300g apple chips
    1 MSR Whisperlite cook stove
    1 litre cooking fuel
    1 titanium cooking pot
    1 long msr spoon
    1/2 roll toilet paper
    2 pair hiking underwear, poly blend
    3 pairs socks, merino wool
    2 hiking t shirts, poly blend/merino
    1 light merino long underwear
    1 light merino long sleeve
    1 light/med weight poly blend hiking pants.
    1 gore tex jacket
    1 gore tex pant
    1 pair crocs
    1 Light fleece beanie
    1 pair light quick drying gloves

Around 55# without water

Last edited by .264winmag; 06-06-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Bounce sheets?