Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: excaliber crossbows

excaliber crossbows

who has one-what do you like, dislike?And-what is your hunting experiance with them-effective range,how many deer have you taken with one, etc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: excaliber crossbows

Effective range of any bow (cross or otherwise) is 40 yards (with 20 yards being the preference). Otherwise, all I know about Excalibur's is that everyone I've ever met who owns one or has shot one swears they're the one of the best crossbows on the planet.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

I have also heard nothing bad about the excalibers, but would like to comment on the statement that the effective range of ANY bow is 40 yards.

The effective range of the weapon is not in the weapon itself but rather the archers ability to shoot it. A decent compound/crossbow, properly set up is certainly lethal well beyond the effective range of the person holding it. Now we can get into what the magical number for EVERYONE is or we can just say that the effective range of the weapon is directly related to the skill and judgement of the person using it. And in case your wondering....the effective range of my bow is well beyond 40 yards allthough in close is always more fun!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

As this is only my 3rd year bowhunting I feel very comfortable with a 40 yard shot and if circumstances are right I will take an animal at 50 yards.
    I personally know several VERY efficient bowhunters whose effective range with their bows is 70+ yards so I have to disagree with previous post about 40 yards being the maximum effective range. But Willy is so right when he states the closer the more fun. My 2 cents ......Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

The effective range has little to do with the ability to hit something at longer ranges. Spend enough time with your bow (crossbow or otherwise), and you can put an arrow where you want it at very long ranges. It's other issues that are the problem.

Just to highlight a single issue involved in longer range shooting - pickup a whitetail hunting DVD, and watch in stop-frame a 30-ish yard shot. You'll notice the deer is almost always in motion before the arrow reaches the deer. If you watch in stop frame, you'll see the deer can usually move a solid foot before the arrow strikes. Usually this motion is directly away from the path of the arrow, so the arrow still strikes true. But I have seen video of whitetails completely ducking the shot at sub-40 yards - for a clean miss from what was a perfectly aimed arrow.

To maximize the point I'm getting at - at 80 yards, a 240FPS arrow (real FPS, not IBO rating nonsense) takes a full second to reach the target. If I stood at 80 yards facing you blindfolded, and you let fly a perfect shot at my chest - in that full second, I could easily move my torso the 8 or so inches required to make that shot a miss, simply by moving left or right when I heard the string twang.

That's just one issue - there are certainly others - like the yardage estimations that get much tricker at longer yardage (especially if you're shooting the ultra-heavy arrows you need to maintain high KE at long range - they will be falling 4-6 inches every 5 to 7 yards and progressively shorter distances the farther you go), wind, minute arrow imperfections, broadheads catching air, and the whole host of other things that make taking a long range shot at an animal a relatively high risk proposition for either a miss, or worse a wounded animal.

I'm not saying that you're all that likely to miss at longer ranges if you've put in your practice and can put the arrow where you want it at those ranges - lots of guys take shots like that and usually make them. But, the chances of wounding an animal at 40+ yard ranges gets significant enough, that there is no crossbow maker that I am aware of that will not advise you that 40 yards is the maximum range, and that your goal should be 20 or less yard shots. Most bowhunting guides I've read have similar guidelines.

Anyhoo... everyone has to make their own calls in the field, and I too know guys who have (and probably will continue) to take long shots who haven't missed or wounded an animal yet (that they'll admit to anyway).... Good for them - I hope they never wound one and can't recover it; because that's an awful feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    Last edited by brotherjack; 11-13-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc
    I have also heard nothing bad about the excalibers, but would like to comment on the statement that the effective range of ANY bow is 40 yards.

The effective range of the weapon is not in the weapon itself but rather the archers ability to shoot it. A decent compound/crossbow, properly set up is certainly lethal well beyond the effective range of the person holding it. Now we can get into what the magical number for EVERYONE is or we can just say that the effective range of the weapon is directly related to the skill and judgement of the person using it. And in case your wondering....the effective range of my bow is well beyond 40 yards allthough in close is always more fun!

Chris
    Very well said. To many hunters are mislead by statistics and manufacturer advertising. My opinion on the shooting distance under hunting conditions is that if you can shoot on the target range every single arrow in a 6" cirlcle at, lets say 25 yards, with absolute confidence then your hunting distance is about one third less which is 16 yards. In fact I have never encountered a good target shooter that also was a good deer killer because of his target skills. Some years back I hunted in Illinois with a friend who happen to be the state archery champion. In the woods he couldn't hit a barn door if he tried. This changed once he practised shooting under hunting conditions. His comment to me "These are two complete different pair of shoes". My point exactly.

To become efficient and confident the shooter should practise only shooting arrows under field conditions. Once a bow, or rifle, is sighted I never again will shoot at a range only under field conditions. I will practise all year long every day all the different scenarios I may encounter in a hunting situation. Including the awkward shots like twisting my upper body backward, quick shots, of balance shots, steep up, steep down and leaning around trees and bushes. Also shots under stress and heavy breathing for which I run until I huff and puff then pick up the bow run in range to the target and shoot. This build confidence in your weapon and your ability so when that shot presents itself in the deer woods you know you can take that shot. The difference here is knowing or beliving. I rather know than belive or think I could do it.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 11-14-2005 at 01:40 AM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

A friend and fellow outdoor writer e-mailed me today that he just has field tested a Horton 150 crossbow and is well pleased with it. He looks forward to take it hunting next week. Finally more and more American states legalize crossbows not only for disabled hunters.

Last week I looked at some Excalibur crossbows and look forward to have one sent to me shortly for field testing. From reliable sources I am informed that the Ten Point makes very good crossbows too. It always has been my believe that weapons from different manufacturers in the same pricerange are quality wise are very similar. I find that it is best to try as many different crossbows as possible and buy the one that fits and suit best. Buying a weapon because of the name on it is in my opinion never very good and often a recipe for disapointment. The brandname is the last thing I worry about.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Brotherjack----- I don't know anybody that shoots as slow as 240 fps !! Most people in our archery club shoot in the 280 and up range with the maximum being about 320. I myself shoot at 289 fps. These are all cronografh speeds.
    I can't speak about white tail hunting as I hunt mulies but I do watch the videos and it is my impression that most of those hunters use a light poundage/heavy arrow combination so your point about the animal moving is very valid. However a properly tuned bow is much quieter and an arrow at 280 to 300 fps doesn't give them much chance to move that 12" you mention.
    Hunterwriter---- once my bow is sighted in the majority of my practice involves 3D shoots which is an excellent test of your ability. Our club also has a hunter warm-up shoot every year and you can shoot from any yardage and angle you want. Very good practice and it usually ends up with mini competitions where each archer picks a different spot on the 3D animal when it is his turn in the rotation. Closest to the 10x gets a point, most points wins, this usually involves slight wagering. great practice.
    Again , just my opinion. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

BrotherJack,

To maximize the point I'm getting at - at 80 yards, a 240FPS arrow (real FPS, not IBO rating nonsense) takes a full second to reach the target. If I stood at 80 yards facing you blindfolded, and you let fly a perfect shot at my chest - in that full second, I could easily move my torso the 8 or so inches required to make that shot a miss, simply by moving left or right when I heard the string twang.
    While I agree hole heartedly with you. I'll let you test out your theory above. haha

Huntwriter
    My opinion on the shooting distance under hunting conditions is that if you can shoot on the target range every single arrow in a 6" cirlcle at, lets say 25 yards, with absolute confidence then your hunting distance is about one third less which is 16 yards. In fact I have never encountered a good target shooter that also was a good deer killer because of his target skills.
    I couldn't agree more. Target is very different than hunting and killing. So many variables. Your effective range analogy is bang on.

I have had elk at 20 yards, duck my arrow completely. Dropping a good 24 inches in the time it takes my arrow to travel there. If you see their skin ripple, don't shoot.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by J_T
    BrotherJack,
    While I agree hole heartedly with you. I'll let you test out your theory above. haha

I have had elk at 20 yards, duck my arrow completely. Dropping a good 24 inches in the time it takes my arrow to travel there. If you see their skin ripple, don't shoot.
    Heh; I didn't say I was willing to demonstrate it, I was just using that scenario to illustrating the point which that elk already proved to you.