View Poll Results: Which limited entry system do you like more?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • BC's Lottery style Draw

72 48.32%
  • Alberta's Priority based draw

77 51.68%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AB Vs BC Limited entry system

AB Vs BC Limited entry system

Hey everyone,

Just thought i'd run a poll to see if i'm alone in hoping/thinking we should go the same route here in BC as alberta as far as a the limited entry system goes.

For information:

BC is the "Lottery" style system purerly based on luck in the draw, one person can get drawn 4 years in a row at odds of 1.8:1 when the other guy can get draw 4 years in a row at 1.8:1 odds for the species(all luck of the draw)

if your not aware of the Alberta draw system:

It is based on priority, if I apply for a mule deer buck one year, don't get it i get bumped from a priority 0 to a priority 1, if i apply again the next year and don't get it, i get bumped from a priority 1 to a priority 2 and so on. Basically no priority 0 or 1 draws will get the tag if someone apply's that is at a priority 2(has applied for 3 years unsuccesfully). Once the priority 2 gets drawn then he gets bumped back to a 0 and starts the process again. Zone statistics are posted online so you know roughly which priority you will need before you get your tag in each individual zone.

For example, here in BC I missed out on my goat draw at 1.4:1 for three years straight now, I may get it this year I may not but I won't know until i get my results back in June, on the other hand I got a 126:1 elk draw when I was 14 yrs old that many guys had applied 40 years for! On the alberta system(even as BC resident with a host I can hunt still) I am a priority 6 on my antelope and know I will get my tag this year so I am allready planning on this trip, vacation is booked and my hunt is planned(based on the fact that last year in the zone I apply 100% of priority 6's got the draw)

It sure makes planning for hunts nice.

I feel it makes alot more sense and would like to see it pushed through one day here in BC but wanted to hear other hunters opinions! thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: AB Vs BC Limited entry system

I think it would be better if you just move to Alberta !,

take advantage of all of Alberta's hunting opportunities

Good luck,
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

How many years until my priority draw for bison, Island elk, California Sheep come in?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    I think it would be better if you just move to Alberta !,

take advantage of all of Alberta's hunting opportunities

Good luck,

Was there but moved back but sure grew to like the draw system

Not knowing the Alta system one bit, I've resigned myself to treat the BC system as a "Lottery" and nothing more. If I can score a tag that fits into my plans, great. If not I'm still going hunting, where and when I wanted.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I haven't got drawn, for anything, since I was 21 or 22 years old. Turning 41 this year, you do the math. My opinion, BC's system sucks & should be revised. For the record, I put in for a minimum of 4 draws per year in areas with relatively low odds ( below 15:1 ), with Sheep being the exception.

The priority system sounds great, but I would wonder what kind of added cost is needed to handle it logistically. Last time I tried to contact our own provincial department responsible for hunting, they didn't even have email and sounded grossly understaffed. Not exactly spilling over with cash.

The alberta system would not work here becuase of our higher odds. Its been posted here before but the jist of it something like 75% of alberta draws are less then 5:1 odds. This means that you could get a draw once every 5 years under the priority system.

Here in BC something like 50% of our draws are close to 20:1 or greater. That means a 20 year wait to have a chance at getting drawn. Try explaining that to a 16 year old that just started hunting. I could see the father/son conversation now "Congratulations son you just passed CORE at 16 years of age. So lets get you applying for a moose tag. You have to pay 6 dollars a year, every year and when you are 36 Dad will take you moose hunting. Oh and while we are doing moose, might as well send in a sheep tag. As a retirement gift to you I will take you sheep hunting, that is if your dear old dad is still alive."

That is basically how it would be here for the majority of tags in BC under the alberta system.

BHB

I think they should get rid of the fellas just putting in for the heck of it with no intention of hunting. This happens alot with goat draws, make some kind of penalty for not hunting the species you drew and the odds may go down for alot of game. Seen it with all kinds of draws, Tat sheep, moose, WK elk...lots of examples of LEH antlerless deer and elk.

tirekickers, lowering the odds of being drawn for serious hunters since inception of LEH.
    Last edited by budismyhorse; 03-19-2009 at 08:34 AM.

Like a few others have said most regions would not withstand an AB LEH system odds are to hi ,keep the LEH system the way it is in BC