Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail deer hunting tips?

Blacktail deer hunting tips?

I want to go hunt Blacktail's come September and i am looking for some tips on hunting them do you glass clear cuts like mule deer hunting or do you sit and wait for them like a whitetail. also what do you look for in a Blacktail deer area?
    " Many a child travels this high to be different, trying to get something from the mountain that nature couldn't give him down below"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail deer hunting tips?

OMG, that would require enough typing to create a hard covered edition of books.
    If your new to blacktail hunting, Boyd Iverson has a book out called BLACKTAIL TROPHY TACTICS that is a good read for someone starting off, he's from Oregon, but most of the techniques he has writen can be applied here.
    All deer hunting tactics can be used for hunting blacktails, but the best one is get out and hunt, not in your truck, or on your quad, but on foot, through the coastal jungle, you will learn alot more about them, and see more game (providing you dont hunt like a bull in a china shop)
    Although not as patteranble as a white tail, they are somewhat more of a "routine" animal, so your whitetail hunting stratagies can work well, such as tree stands, hunting rub lines, between bedding and feeding areas, rattling etc.
    Good luck, it takes time to get good at it, I have 30 something blacktails under my belt, and still wonder if I am ever going to figure these things out.......sometimes a little luck helps too!
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

Question is, " What area will I try for a nice blacktail deer? "
    How much time will I set aside to hunt in September?
    How far do I go on the highways and biways, forest road etc, to try a walk in to see a deer?
    Things like that, your from Surrey so the closest would be?
    I personally would go up Anderson Creek, it's in the Fraser Canyon off the highway. Google it. It's in region 2.
    Drive up and scout for tracks along the banks of the fsr. Any fresh trail.
    Hunt early and try to hunt blacktails on a cloudy, kind of a light drizzley day, if possible.
    Blacktails up Chilliwack Lake area too.
    Anderson Creek, check it out!
    Jel---just over the bridge on the highway turn right up Anderson and go.

Or follow Pro Guide, he sleeps with them.
    Blacktailaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeer View Post
    Or follow Pro Guide, he sleeps with them.

haha...I only slept with a couple !........

How to answer a question like that...hmm.....one thing I would strongly suggest is to go out , find a place that has fresh crap and tracks......this you are going to HAVE TO FIND YOURSELF first......if you cant pull that off..quit.....lolol....after that...focus ALL your time on that one spot...DONT start chasin spots or drivin around ( wich doesnt gain you knowlege), you will loose ( ok , 95% of the time you will loose)...learn wich way the wind blows and what time the thermals change...figure out where the fresh poop makers come/go.( if you only see does---PERFECT)...figure out wich direction you should approach your spot and what time....just keep learning HOW to hunt that one spot.....until you start seein the poop makers...keep goin to that spot and dont stop goin to the same spot.....each day is gained knowlege..soon you will intimately know your spot and how to hunt it...this is 'key' to all species...but especially to bag a blacky..soon it will all come together , you will bag your deer....then you can use your knowlege to pick and choose each season..setting the bar higher!!..next thing you know , you will KNOW whats livin in your area and will be able to pass on the young ones ect ect..and you will know when a big one is going to show and where......good luck...ps..when the big one shows , 'pm me' with where it is..

PG thats probably the best advice for big bt's anyone could give.

Read this: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/huntin.../gf_aa116604a/

And remember, when it rains, go BT hunting!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

What you said is correct ,glass slashes first daylight and set up in an active slash area watch 2 hr before sun set.

Hunt the timber latter on in the morning ,put on lots of Kilometers and you will find.

As for the age look for big antlers and the age will go with the rack ,good luck this fall young fella.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 03-19-2009 at 04:54 AM.

oh that is what i was doing wrong this year. well

PG is giving you some good advice I would use it.The best tips I have for you are get use to hunting in the rain(most of my BT's were taken in the rain)and look for spots that are ether over looked by others or you have to work to get to them. Hunting BT's will drive you crazy to the point you quit or become addicted.