View Poll Results: Should the Kechika elk season be expanded?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - maintain the 10 day, 6 pt season.

48 22.54%
  • Yes - No conservation concern and also in light of Stone's sheep / elk / predators / habitat issues

110 51.64%
  • Unsure

55 25.82%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kechika elk .....

Re: Kechika elk .....

yes yes and yes,i'm all for an increased season up there especially of it included an archery only season.i do wish however they would get back to doing some prescribed burns to open it up abit more so for scouting and being able to spot and stalk the smart assed critters especially during the rut.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunterbruce View Post
    yes yes and yes,i'm all for an increased season up there especially of it included an archery only season.i do wish however they would get back to doing some prescribed burns to open it up abit more so for scouting and being able to spot and stalk the smart assed critters especially during the rut.
    Shows how little you know about the country up there.

There are however a couple nice burns for you further south on the Kechika / Gataga.

Given the access issues, you don't even need a bow only season

If you want spot n stalk ...... head to the Tuchodi / Gathto.
    Last edited by BCrams; 03-17-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Here's another question, why would we have a 6pt season in an area with little to no access?
    Yes it is another question, That makes two I don't know the answer too, but I was looking for an answer. if you have it fess up, like I said i am a shitty guesser.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Shows how little you know about the country up there.

There are however a couple nice burns for you further south on the Kechika / Gataga.

Given the access issues, you don't even need a bow only season

If you want spot n stalk ...... head to the Tuchodi / Gathto.
    i was relieing on what a buddy of mine was saying as he guided up there a few years ago for scoop lake.its been a dream of mine to hunt the trench for a number of years now.and was told by an old trapper (SINCE DECEASED) that terminus mtn was great except for the growth had gotten a bit heavy.thats were his trapline was.i had an oppertunity to use his cabin until my partners back out last minute.i had even arranged a boat trip up to it.man was i choked ,so much so i hardly hunt with them 2 guys anymore.
    oh well 1 day i'll make it up there before everything is gone.
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

We need a fourth option:

For every wolf you kill, would you like an extra week of Elk Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeena Hunter 1 View Post
    Would someone please let us know why it is only 10 days. All the wink wink nod nod answers might be okay for those that actually know(or think they know), but some of us are shitty guessers. So fess up if you have the facts.
    I'll take a wild stab at it-

It is possible that outfitters managed to convince the MOE of the need for these restrictions, to increase the chance of thier clients killing a large bull elk.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I'll take a stab as well.

Most likely these regs were in place back when the population was small and growing......similar to a recovery strategy. Elk were trasplanted back in 1984 and '85 and the first season was in 1989.

Now that the population is much higher the regs most likely have been lobbied to stay in place. Alway easier to stay with the status quo than change the reg especially when there is no pressure to do so.

Scoop's website used to say that the area typically burned every couple of years(most likely with a little help?) but that may have changed in the last few.

Like most have said....it's a looooooong ways to go for an elk.

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 03-17-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

The issue then becomes, if it gets a reg change and you can bonk one (or two! whoa!) elk per man, how much is that going to increase realisitic harvest numbers? Methinks not much.....

Perhaps make it a requirement for the GO's to kill two cows before they can kill a bull?

The Trench is prone to lightening, must be the minerals.
    There seems to be a fire of some sort regularily.
    Some of the outfitters (Scoop, Terminus, Simpson Stone, others?), can do burns for livestock forage.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I'll take a wild stab at it-

It is possible that outfitters managed to convince the MOE of the need for these restrictions, to increase the chance of thier clients killing a large bull elk.
    G/O influence ? In 7 ? Hhhmm.......
    I still say not much thought was put into it.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole