View Poll Results: Should the Kechika elk season be expanded?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - maintain the 10 day, 6 pt season.

48 22.54%
  • Yes - No conservation concern and also in light of Stone's sheep / elk / predators / habitat issues

110 51.64%
  • Unsure

55 25.82%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kechika elk .....

Kechika elk .....

Curious to see what folks on here think of the 10 day season for 6 point bulls on the Kechika?

Given the hot debates in the past regarding no conservation concern ......

Why is there only a 10 day season for bull elk in the Kechika Valley??? Should we be expanding the season / opportunity to harvest elk?

Now I am sure someone could give me and other readers very valid reasons for maintaining only a 10 day 6 pt elk season ...... but in light of the issues we have witness regarding the east slopes regarding habitat / Stone's sheep / elk / predators ...... should we not be expanding on this season to harvest elk?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kechika elk .....

It is recognized that the sheep habitat on the east slope has been impacted by the high numbers of elk, and discussion has been about how to increase the harvest. Hunting bulls does nothing for population control, it would be a good thing if more hunters targetted cows but who is going to do a fly-in or river trip for a meat haul ?

I wonder how many antlerless are taken out of 7-50 ?

Then of course there is the arguement for the need for trophy elk hunting and should sheep be given higher consideration than large 6-pt trophys ?

But yes, a ten day trophy season is over-restrictive and politically driven.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 03-16-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I have never hunted up that way but I think that CO's should maybe be help more acoutable for thier actions regardless on wether the sheep are suffering because of the elk, or the elk are suffereing from the wolves.

We are paying them to regulate the "inventory" in the areas and they should definatly be accountable for the seasons and openings.

Maybe a few more CO's or people studing the elk, sheep, wolves, ect... and letting everyone know whats going on... Or have a co-olition of hunters being able to add insight into these more remote areas

i may be way off base but that is what I am thinking.

I voted #3 or unsure

dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    It is recognized that the sheep habitat on the east slope has been impacted by the high numbers of elk, and discussion has been about how to increase the harvest. Hunting bulls does nothing for population control, it would be a good thing if more hunters targetted cows but who is going to do a fly-in or river trip for a meat haul ?

I wonder how many antlerless are taken out of 7-50 ?
    Sorry to side track. You might be suprised by this. Having been on a few fly-in trips into 7-50 during the 3-point/antlerless season I can say that most of the hunters in there shoot the first elk they see. Our group regularly comes out with our limit which on average consists of 4-5 cows/calves and 4-5 bulls, most of which are 3-4 points. On occasion, guys hold out for a big guy and usually settle for a cow near the end. Of course this varies by year and as luck would have it some trips we will get 2-3 six pointers and the rest will be cows. We have had years were we have sent it 30 people spread over 3 weeks and most tag out on elk (most of them are cows). The odd two-point moose is also taken.

The area we hunt is hit hard by residents, plane traffic in and out everyday and all the hunters we talk to are looking for meat, not trophy bulls. But yes, I would agree it seems silly to do a fly-in trip for meat, but to be honest, it is pretty easy pickens up there.

I voted no because I think the herd does need to be thinned but on the antlerless side. Unfortunately, its a costly venture just to go for cows.

From what I know about the issue.....there is a conservation concern.....for the sheep! More elk nearly directly correlates to less sheep. Values: what's the more valuable resource? I think most people are going to say it's sheep.

Even an any elk season in the liard wouldn't do a damn thing. Not enough hunters, not enough access, way too many elk.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Thanks jml11. Had not heard it first hand.
    Wonder if 7-50 was a test and the antlerless is due for expansion ?

But this is about the Kechika herd, right BCR ?
    Expansion of territory is a natural occurence, but could be accelerated by increased hunting pressure.
    Hopefully the adversity of the Cassiar Range will keep some control.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 03-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Would like to see an any elk archery at least!
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir View Post
    Would like to see an any elk archery at least!
    Good humour !