Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moose burgers

Re: moose burgers

An egg, a few bread crumbs, a squirt of dijon mustard and a squirt of ketchup and just a tad of worschester...
    Last edited by eastkoot; 03-12-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Holy these are all recipes for meatloaf! No bread crumbs no crackers crumbs no beef no eggs!

My recipe: 1lb moose, little bit of onion, spices (whatever gets ya going),Worcestershire, and the secret is diced up bacon, 4-5 strips. The bacon holds it all together and adds fat as it cooks and gives it the smoky flavor.

Perfection on a bun!

Yeah everyone is on the right track. The key is to get as much fat into your burger as you can. Dice up a bunch of bacon and render it off in a pan on medium heat(this means to cook it till the fat is cooked out, not really crispy) reserve the bacon fat. Take your ground up meat and mix in the diced bacon, also mix in rolled oats(trust me), diced onions(to get a sweeter flavor sautee the onion in butter till they are translucent) and anything else you want. I recommend fresh herbs-rosemary, sage?, some mustard (grainy, dijon or powder) garlic powder, smoked paprika if you can get your hands on it. Dont mix in eggs, use yolks, they have more fat and they cook at a higher temperature. Mix in as much of the reserved bacon fat as you think you can without risking having your burger fall apart when cooked. Here is the key part...Salt. More than you think. When you think the mixture is ready take a golf ball size mixture and flaten it out and cook it. Now is the time to perfect it before you form it. The key to anything in cooking is balance. Keep adding more of your seasonings till you can taste everything in your mixture. Dont let your mixture sit too long with the egg yolk before you cook it. Form and enjoy.

On a personal note I find it better to make thinner patties because if you make a big thick one the meat on the outside that is exposed to direct heat will dry out before the inside of the patty is cooked. just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    1lb moose
    1lb ground beef
    1 onion chopped
    garlic powder to taste
    1tsp H.P sauce
    2 eggs beaten
    1/2 cup cracker crumbs
    pinch of marjoram
    pinch of thyme
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    bacon fat for frying them or chuch em on the bbq
    if you dont want beef use all moose
    mix all ingredients well but not to much make into patties fry in bacon fat add slight amount of water untill done or just bbq them
    yup, about mine too, except i use oatmeal instead of crackers and i throw in a crap load of Mrs. Dash.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of showin up safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, hunting rifle in one hand and shifter knob in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    French onion soup mix. If it's just straight moose, chuck in an egg.
    this is an awesome recipie but i add a little garlic powder, seasoning salt and crushed up cheeze ritz crackers (helps them stick).