Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian Cattle Dog

Re: Australian Cattle Dog

We have an ACD/blue heeler - she is 14 - these dogs were bread specifically for herding in the outback of australia - they are not ideal for retreiving but they are very good for flushing out game and herding it towards you - a natural instinct to them is like the Dingo - scavenger so that is why they arent the best for retreiving - a dead bird to them is food

they are however very tempermental and territorial to their owner so training is easy and very natural for them to want to please you

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Anyone see the news story last night? An Aussie couple lost their ACD overboard while sailing in a storm off the North Australian coast. It swam approximately 5 nautical miles (about 9 km) to a deserted island where it survived for 4 months before being captured by park rangers. The couple heard the story and have been reunited with their dog.

The news showed it in their back yard, staring dubiously at their swimming pool

7m7
    Always check your backtrail

We have two blue heelers and i think they are great. They both get very excited though when they see animals to the point where the young one will want to take off after them, no matter what it is. They have enough energy to amaze you though and will just go and go and go.

Our young heeler(she is about to turn 3) is a great flusher and retriever, but just wants you to throw it back out there so she can go pick it up again. I will have to see if i can find some pics.

My neighbour has a red heeler and she would be a great hunting dog but is very sensitive to noise and i doubt she will ever be trained to handle a gun shot.
    She is a great dog otherwise, very smart and loyal just brimming to please people.

A friend has a heeler and it will retrieve until it collapses. It likes to play with balls or rocks. It will bring them and put them on your shoe. You throw it, and it will come back and put it right on the laces of your shoe. There is great variation in the temperament and activeness of this breed. I have seen aggressive, if not vicious dogs, that will run around like a pinball. On the other hand I have seen extremely friendly, laid back, and calm dogs. I guess it depends on breeding and stocks that they come from.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I have a female Border Colly blue healer cross, she hates guns but can't stand not being with me. I HUNT WITH A BOW MOST OF THE TIME and if I need to use her to find a blood trail shes all over that. I haven't lost an animal in the last 8 years, she grew up going to archery shoots all her life and can find arrows like no other. People at the shoots cook an extra steak just to show there appreciation for the returned arrows.She is a lot of fun to have and I when I say where are the Deer when I'M DRIVING down the road she just about comes unglued form a dead sleep. Shes almost 12 now and I'm desperet to find another.

Had blue healer doberman cross, far too intelligent. Friend have a pure blue healer, its a little tireless indestructible tank. When they introduced a second blue healer into the house (first by a year and a bit was a male, second was a female), not work out so well, female returned to breeder - as stated, very territorial and protective.

we have had our dog Sydney for six years... i am still trying to idenitfy the breeds that she is. some people have said that she looks a bit like a heeler and some like a collie or even on the vet charts she could even have features of an australian cattle dog.... but as for hunting! she is wound up something fierce but does calme down after a bit, she is a great early warning system for deer and other game that are close but i can not see them. she hates to sit to long (hehe just like me), she will go after anything i do and will only go till she can not see me anymore and turn around (but I ALWAYS have her on a 20' lead anyways). she is self taught and with a little guidence she can improve. i will be teaching her a bit about grouse and watching the shot and then chase to find not retrieve. she has led me on several tracks by airborn scent after deer, but as of late in an open clearing she always goes the opposite way (not sure why), so when she goes nuts after a very close scent i look the opposite way and sure enough there he is..http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...h/100_2960.jpg
    http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...h/100_2959.jpg

Husky 3006
    Shes a good looking girl, brown is not a normal colour for a Colie,except in the Ausie brand. She looks very inteligent just like my girl Love this dog. Great buddy.

to frigg'n smart!!!!!! ya, I usually introduce her as being a husky collie cross (husky for the fur she has) there was a breed that i thought might be part of her (CANNAN HERDER)