Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian Cattle Dog

Australian Cattle Dog

Anyone ever used an ACD (blue, red or queensland heeler) for hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Australian Cattle Dog

I have never heard of them being used for hunting but I am trying hard to convince my GF that we should get one.. she has a little white rat of a west highland terrier.. I want a companion for backcountry trips.
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

I had a australian blue heeler when i was a kid, the dog was lightning fast and could jump a seven foot fence with very little effort.Not sure what they would be like as a hunting dog, but they sure can run fast(just ask the cat that lived up the alley from me)
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

My male cattle dog retrieves and flushes grouse taught himself. Only problem is if you shoot a double he brings back the first one and try's to eat the second.
    I usualy bring him with me when hunting solo in the mountains after the first ten minutes he calms down and gets with the program.
    Last year my wife and I took both our male and female with us on a fly in hunt with no problems.
    If your looking for a pup with any luck I will have some puppy's to sell in May as we bred the female three weeks ago.

we have had heelers all my life and they are an extremely intelligent breed, very agile, super fast, very loyal and a beautiful dog to look at...we had one that loved to flush grouse but i wouldnt call him a hunting dog...honestly i beleive you can teach any dog to hunt and heelers definatly have the brains and the will to learn so ya i dont see why they couldnt be used to hunt...just my 2 cents

I have a Blue Heeler/ACD he's not your typical heeler, he's a male, pretty big for the breed, friendly, not your typical quiet and subdued but might "bite your head off for coming close to the truck" type blue heeler. Super friendly and good with kids He gets pretty excited when he sees wild game.

I have to make sure I see the game first or he'll probably freek out and start barking or whining. If you had to tie him up for some reason, perhaps to do a stalk on an animal he would surely bark and give you shit for leaving him behind. He can't stand being left behind.

Every one has a different personality so maybe you could find one that would be a good hunting partner, but mine doens't fit the bill.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

I've got one living in my house. Handsome looking beast with a brindle short coat and white socks. Erect ears usually and very alert. Hates cats and other dogs, isn't sociable with others to a degree. Hellish fast and loves to run and run. Loves to go places and explore (sniff) everything. SPCA was going to put her down, so I reluctantly ended up with her. Rather have a hunting dog though if it were my choice.
    I don't think she'd do for hunting , but then I haven't had her here for a year yet to try her out. Seems to be very loyal though. We're just only now getting comfortable in each others company, I think she is aware that I'm Alpha around here. Wish I could put up a photo, but I'm never going to be able to use this thing comfortably. This is definitely a dog for running 20 miles a day - no problem.

My neighbour was telling me stories of someone in Chilliwack running bears with two heelers. Were quick. Not sure if they treed them or not. Heresay, but perhaps someone on here knows him or if this is true.

my dad used a blue when he was a kid he said it was the best he has ever use to track animals

I will add to this thread as time goes on, I now have a 3 month old Blue Heeler named Bandit. Cute and from all indications very inteligent so we will see how he reacts to a dead bear if I am lucky enough to arrow one this spring.

Rod
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.