Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Gun, What is it?

Re: Old Gun, What is it?

I bet some one from the Lewis & Clark expedition went for a dump and the rest is history! Great find!

get a hold of mooncoon on CGN... he's VERY good with old gun id's

Hidden deep in the hills eatin Weiner water soup

There should be the make and model stamped just below the hammers,take some steel wool .Sand away the rust and then search the name.It might help to try and idendifying it.Good luck

very cool find indeed. who knows how long it took whoever lost it too get over that one. It apears to have some fairly nice schroll work on and around the action and I cast a vote for 1 barrel rifled and one smooth BTW
    april fool in waiting

Yep the nipples are a giveaway.
    Old Percussion Double barrel Shottie...doubt it had rifling as both bores are the same size

Lots of these turn up and still have a charge of BP and shot down the bore too ! A cleaning rod inserted down the bore would let you know if one or both barrels is loaded (not that the powder is still good or anything though...would be interesting to pull the charge if any and see what they were hunting ? (bird shot or Buckshot etc. ?)
    Of course the caps appear long gone......maybe it was discharged before being left behind ?

The owner obviously was eaten by a grizzly bear.........

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Old Percussion Double barrel Shottie...doubt it had rifling as both bores are the same size

Lots of these turn up and still have a charge of BP and shot down the bore too ! A cleaning rod inserted down the bore would let you know if one or both barrels is loaded (not that the powder is still good or anything though...would be interesting to pull the charge if any and see what they were hunting ? (bird shot or Buckshot etc. ?)
    Of course the caps appear long gone......maybe it was discharged before being left behind ?

Yup, if he would of had a 300 win mag, this tragedy could have been avoided

Sorry, I was out fishing

Quote Originally Posted by yukon john View Post
    Is one barrel smooth and the other rifled? If it is then I have something very similar in better shape though
    I will check, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciskman View Post
    Where did you dig that up?!
    , shhhhh, there might be gold there

Quote Originally Posted by Big Glenny View Post
    Maybe there's some gold burried near buy... Feel the gold fever setting in? heh
    You could be right, actually

Quote Originally Posted by rand View Post
    There should be the make and model stamped just below the hammers,take some steel wool .Sand away the rust and then search the name.It might help to try and idendifying it.Good luck
    TKS, I will check.

Quote Originally Posted by martyonthewater View Post
    very cool find indeed. who knows how long it took whoever lost it too get over that one. It apears to have some fairly nice schroll work on and around the action and I cast a vote for 1 barrel rifled and one smooth BTW
    There is some etching, but it's hard to make out. I will try to clean it up better.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

I was told that "They" might have fired a round ball through one bbl, and shot through the other, but I don't think the one bbl is rifled. I'll look again.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Here are some better pics.

Both bbls have been probed, as you can see from the pics, the left bbl has been fired. The right bbl has something in the chamber, possibly a round ball, I don't know for sure. Also, there was a bunch of lead shrapnell that came out when I probed the bbls. I think most of it came from the left bbl, but it's hard to tell. The shrapnell, in no way, resembles pellets, it's just a bunch of lead fragments.

No rifling

Lead fragments, and "stuff" out of the bbls

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

That is a neat old firearm. I hope someone can give you some info about it.

Maybe it's one of those Hudsons Bay Company trade guns. Someone mentioned Lewis & Clark, but they were never north of the Columbia and Snake Rivers. Most likely some one from the Hudsons Bay Company.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"