Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brant report

Re: Brant report

Got ahold of a couple this morning, pretty strong wind in the morning, not much for waves though.

A real mature bird is heading for the wall. Thick neck, with lots of white in the collar, bull of a bird really.

Drake pinnies are always beautiful birds too.

Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 03-07-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

That's a really excellent pic of the bull sprig Crazy. I haven't had any luck getting birds to decoy later in the day on the drop out in deep water so tomorrow i think I'm going to try early way back in Mud Bay.
    Here's Mrs. Branthunter's recipe for tagine'.

Moroccan Duck Leg Tagine

16 duck legs (skin on) or 12 snow goose or brant legs (skin on)
    vegetable oil for browning legs
    1 tsp each dried tumeric, cumin, and ginger
    2 onions finely diced
    6 garlic cloves chopped
    3/4 cup sherry to deglaze
    1 cup white wine
    1 cup low salt chicken stock or more as needed to enough to cover legs
    1 cup chopped pitted prunes
    1 cup chopped dried apricots
    3/4 cup raisins
    2 tbsp honey
    1 lemon sliced thin (seeds removed) (the lemons will melt as the dish cooks)

Pour boiling water over the prunes, apricots and raisins and let sit for 3/4 hours and
    drain
    salt and pepper legs
    In a large dutch oven or heavy cuisinart pot heat vegetable oil on medium heat and brown
    the legs on both sides – remove legs to plate and drain off most of the oil
    Add 2 tbsp of butter to oil in the pot and sweat the onions for 10 minutes on medium heat
    stirring as needed and add garlic and stir for a minute – careful not to burn
    Deglaze pan with sherry and cook for 2 minutes and add white wine and cook for 5
    minutes
    Add the chicken stock and the drained prunes, apricots and raisins
    Add lemons and honey
    Add the duck, brant or goose legs skin side up and add stock to cover
    With the heat on medium and lid on cook for about 2 and 1/2 hours or more till the legs
    are very tender stirring every 15 to 20 minutes – make sure there is enough liquid to
    cover legs – add more as needed

Serve with basmati rice or a couscous that has similar spices added to it
    I found that the prunes melted and thickened the sauce and the lemon slices melted as the
    dish cooked
    Some recipes say not to submerge the duck legs as it will toughen them but I have found that, for me, they become more tender if submerged

They decoyed later today but we paid the price. A nasty westerly came up so fast we barely had time to pull the set and get outta there. Sure was a wet ride in. Good Luck to all in the AM. K

Here you go Gunner---Day 10 with Brian, in review. Icicles on the barrels, sheets of spray breaking over the stern at anchor on the decoys, frozen spray on the doors, sparkling sun on big waves, and two nice goes in the pocket.

Bob thats funny, there was a bunch of us watching on the port side and saw 4 circle the spread a couple times then finally decoyed. We thought it was bryans rig. Then we saw 2 or 3 drop and watched as it seemed some motor troubles to get going.

Great pictures and good going.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Is that gunners old "skow" in the picture branthunter!?...that boat has a curse...hull plugs tend to get forgotten prior to launching!!!

boom...

No,that's Mymko's boat.Mine was much nicer and had such a good paint job that I was totally invisible to the birds! LOL,besides how was I to know the damn thing had TWO drain plugs?I did plug in one of them..........Gunner