Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Couple of Big horns

Re: Couple of Big horns

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Ya, ok, so are the kamloops herd of sheep, and theres a couple draws over there!!! I figure after a few years of whacking a couple a year they would smarten up a bit!
    If its sustainable, why not make a harvest??
    It would also reduce the chance of car incidents, as well opportunistic poachers!!! So why not I ask????

I am one of those guys in the recent videos, tackled a 2 year old last year myself no problem, Im itching to tackle a bigger ram
    Make sure you wear velcro pants and scratch behind the ear!
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I am one of those guys in the recent videos, tackled a 2 year old last year myself no problem, Im itching to tackle a bigger ram
    Rockies are a lot bigger than Calis. With a big mature ram you're probably looking at a critter that's ~2.5X bigger than a young cali yew.

I'd like to see you try it though.

Reminds me one one guy who went into a deer trap after a 4 pt wt. Hahahahahah.

I'm always up for entertainment.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Ya, ok, so are the kamloops herd of sheep, and theres a couple draws over there!!! I figure after a few years of whacking a couple a year they would smarten up a bit!
    If its sustainable, why not make a harvest??
    It would also reduce the chance of car incidents, as well opportunistic poachers!!! So why not I ask????

The Golden R&G Club floated the idea of a limited hunt once and the crap really hit the fan, the townsfolks raised a big stink and nearly tarred and feathered us. I don't know if they could actually be un-habituated enough to really call it a fair chase hunt as long as they're being fed all winter?

Were you guys doing a drop net capture or a corral trap capture? Was that the Okanagan operation? We had three guys in the corral trap chute to grab those guys and get them under control. When you open the chute gate they run in at full speed thinking they've found a way to escape. Once they were down and blindfolded one guy could control them.

I'll see if I can get time to take a few photos tomorrow.

I hope I don't get peed on (again) tommorrow. Its been my experience that the old ewes are way more of a handfull than the 2-3 year old rams.

Well the capture went down without a hitch, got somewhere around 12 to 14 total, I lost count. They should be runnin' free on their new home range near Wasa by now. I don't know if Ibehuntin got peed on again this year but there was some pretty heavy bangin' and crashin' going on in there at times. Took two 3 year old rams, one of them caused quite a commotion. The corral trap system sure beats heck out of the old drop net method, much fewer people required, less chance of injury to sheep, no chance of escapes, very orderly, an organized and methodical process, etc.

The MOE and FWCP people said it was a piece of cake, of course they've been capturing elk all winter in the same trap. I'd imagine that could get pretty hairy and dangerous at times especially with a few big 6 pointers in the trap.

We'll post some pics in a new thread in a few days when we get everyones pictures sorted out.