Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple of Big horns

Re: Couple of Big horns

Nice pictures, my wife took many of these rams and as Mark pointed out she walked almost within touching distance of the critters. Each time I see them I get frustrated that you can’t hunt them there. Sure would look nice on the wall and no over hill and dale dragging involved.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post
    Nice pictures, my wife took many of these rams and as Mark pointed out she walked almost within touching distance of the critters. Each time I see them I get frustrated that you can’t hunt them there. Sure would look nice on the wall and no over hill and dale dragging involved.
    Are you coming up tomorrow HW? Come before lunch, it might not take too long, only 10 to 12 this time.

Quote Originally Posted by 6616 View Post
    I recognized the spot from the lock block in the background. Been there hundreds of times.
    Only a couple hundred times?

Have fun tomorrow.

Tell those boys I bet they can't tackle one of them big rams.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Are you coming up tomorrow HW? Come before lunch, it might not take too long, only 10 to 12 this time.
    Would love to come up but I am busy all of Monday and Tuesday, sitting in meetings with the school board to hopefully get an archery course going at the schools around here.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Only a couple hundred times?.
    Actually probably thousands...!

Would love to come up but I am busy all of Monday and Tuesday, sitting in meetings with the school board to hopefully get an archery course going at the schools around here.
    Good luck with that HW, sounds like a very worthwhile project.

I feel the same, if theres a decent population, why couldnt there be 1 or 2 LEH's per year??? Maybe archery only??? Anyone know why not???

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Only a couple hundred times?

Have fun tomorrow.

Tell those boys I bet they can't tackle one of them big rams.
    Id be willing to giver a whirl!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I feel the same, if theres a decent population, why couldnt there be 1 or 2 LEH's per year??? Maybe archery only??? Anyone know why not???
    These sheep are very habituated to humans, pretty much the same as Park sheep, they're basically town pets, it's really a question of fair chase and social acceptability, you wouln't need a gun or a bow, a ball peen hammer would probably be enough weapon. There is no biological or conservation reason, there's actually an excess of rams in the herd and lots of them are very old, very big, trophy quality rams.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Id be willing to giver a whirl!
    Are you sure, did you ever watch those guys struggle with just a small ram or a ewe, and they're young tough guys too? It's real rodeo and fairly dangerous, you get flailed around, bashed into the chute walls, trampled, butted, peed on, pooped on, and ground into the mud.

These sheep are very habituated to humans, pretty much the same as Park sheep, they're basically town pets, it's really a question of fair chase and social acceptability, you wouln't need a gun or a bow, a ball peen hammer would probably be enough weapon. There is no biological or conservation reason, there's actually an excess of rams in the herd and lots of them are very old, very big, trophy quality rams.
    Ya, ok, so are the kamloops herd of sheep, and theres a couple draws over there!!! I figure after a few years of whacking a couple a year they would smarten up a bit!
    If its sustainable, why not make a harvest??
    It would also reduce the chance of car incidents, as well opportunistic poachers!!! So why not I ask????

Are you sure, did you ever watch those guys struggle with just a small ram or a ewe, and they're young tough guys too? It's real rodeo and fairly dangerous, you get flailed around, bashed into the chute walls, trampled, butted, peed on, pooped on, and ground into the mud.
    I am one of those guys in the recent videos, tackled a 2 year old last year myself no problem, Im itching to tackle a bigger ram
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!