Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon Hunting

Re: Raccoon Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Raccoons are tough species. A big boar coon is amazingly tough. If you think that your dog is going to have a walk in the park be prepared because your dog is going to get ripped. You had better hope that your dog dosen't chase him into water cause the coon will kill him.
    X2. A couple of adult coons ripped the crap outta our dogs. They are very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    What caliber for a racooon skull shot ?
    Funny you mentioned this......talked to my neighbour across the street for the first time since I moved in 14 yrs ago.......he recommends .22CB shorts....and since I didn't even hear him "off" a coon I say that's a good "urban" caliber. Won't go there myself as I love hunting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Coons aren't too popular in my hood.

Saw fresh tracks on my doorstep this morning........RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I use cb shorts to put down the majority of the Raccoons that I catch. I would not recommend using them on a Raccoon on the move and would deffinetely not use ANY type of firearm in an urban area. All of the ones I dispatch are in live traps and only where it is legal to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    What caliber for a racooon skull shot ?

Have I got a tried and *tested* round for you???

You bet!

But only if ya shoot a .223 Remmy....

For daytime hunting, best to do with an obedient dog that'll flush'em out. It's not very common to see 'coons up-n-out during the day. Even the urban ones (with little exception) tend to prowl under the cover of night.

They're out there,,,, but not in the numbers that you find them in the city - I'd predict a challenging hunt.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by lineofsight View Post
    Am a little surprised there was no sow, the kit looks barely 3 months.

Yeah it is prety tiny for sure. We were out fishing in Manitoba and it came charging out at the dog. I tried calling the dog off for a bit but that wasnt happening. The little guy sounded like a rabid ewok!
    The shoulder thing that goes up...

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

shot gun with BB load is good for racoon, not much damage to pelt. can use in urban areas where shotgun only. they are out of their hide places just before sunset.have got a couple last year.they do not smell as much as coyote and pelt is nice..

With all the druggie/gang shooting going on in the lower mainland right now, I would be very carefull about what and where I went shooting legally. I will also second the tenacity of the urban raccoon as well, they can be mean when it comes to food and or the young ones.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ciskman View Post
    Heres a couple of pics of a fight my dog got in with a racoon...I have a video too, I am not sure if its ok to post it though.

What kind of dog is that? You just sold one for somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

If you are going to let your dog chase after raccoons make sure it has had all its shots including rabies. Raccoons can get infected with rabies and then pass it on to your dog via a bite.

Would a recurve bow with a broadhead arrow do the trick in an urban area without ending up in jail? I saw an earlier post mentioning the critters hunt cats, so I have mixed feelings on the issue. On one hand neighbourhood cats on the loose are using my garden as their litterbox, on the other the 'coon is raiding my grapes in the fall....
    Last edited by mike31154; 06-11-2017 at 09:54 AM.